A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 297,194
Currently Running With Scissors:
642 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Proenza Schouler Look 31 Dress  (Read 10689 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

hanae
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2007 05:57:40 PM »

Thank you for all the response! I'm so excited that there are so many ideas about this. Its beautiful, and I really hope I can make something similar.

The problem with using a cheap theatrical sequinned fabric is that the garment will end up looking cheap too - think of kids costumes!!

If you can find a place near you that sells designer fabrics, then you might get lucky with finding some decent sequinned fabric. There's a place near me that sells similar but not black unfortunately and it's about $40 a metre (but it's really, really gorgeous stuff).

Then once you have that (and a pattern of course), then you can make the dress.

Do you happen to know what fabric the base of the designer sequined fabric is? I think if its anything stretch/spandex it'll end up looking like a children's costume.. but if I can stay away from that it'll be fine and hopefully similar.

What do you think of using velvet instead of black sequins? Vinyl? Or black satin.. or just a fabric that is thick and semi-glossy? Any ideas?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
aucuns_soins
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2007 07:12:32 PM »

What do you think of using velvet instead of black sequins? Vinyl? Or black satin.. or just a fabric that is thick and semi-glossy? Any ideas?

I'd say go with it.
Creative license and all that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
brunette304
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2007 01:50:59 PM »

I absolutely love this dress! It's gorgeous and definately in style right now. I would also use a different fabric for the background (like what the person above said) since it might look tacky if it has too many sequins. Plus it will be difficult to find the perfect black sequin unstrechy fabric for a good price. Good Luck  Cheesy and if you end up making it- post pictures. I would love to be able to make something like this...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
laura1121
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2007 02:02:06 PM »

gah that dress is gorgeous.  i love proenza schouler.  good luck, and if you make it please post!!! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
nicegirl512
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2007 03:49:51 PM »

I think black velvet is a great idea.  The texture will contrast nicely with the sequins.

My random thoughts:  it looks like the fabric has at least a little stretch; it also looks like it has raglan sleeves.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have an Etsy Shop for my jewelry!
cats_pajamas
Certified Weirdo

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2007 06:46:57 PM »

the black sequins look smaller/slightly diffrent than the colored ones. i bet you could find some decent silk/imitation silk all-ready sequined (sewn on sequined, not the kind where the sequins are a part of fabric, yuck) black fabric. i know i had custom made dance costumes out of entirely pre-seqined fabric. im sure if you searched around you could find a place that sells fabrics like that to dance studios and stuff.

then you could decorate it with bigger colored sequins after you stitched it together. If you do use pre-sequined stuff you might wanna line the dress to keep the sequins on the seams from scratching you up. and i used to own a top from the 80's covered in sequins and it was reeeallly heavy.

as for the pattern, it looks like a big tunic with kimono sleeves, so it would be two pattern pieces, the front and the back. and it would probably have a zipper in the back from the neck to the small of the back.

i sure it would take almost no time to sew it, even if you drafted the pattern, but the embroidery is what might kill you... ^.^' But if you use big sequins it might cut your time down.

i also really like the idea of Velvet, but if your not careful it might look kiddish

sorry about the um, novel... but yeah, please post pics when you finish! it is a gorgeous dress! i cant wait to see it!
« Last Edit: February 23, 2007 06:54:27 PM by cats_pajamas » THIS ROCKS   Logged
educo
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2007 12:23:42 AM »

This is already on my way too long list...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
micky_mouse
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2007 08:44:24 AM »

oh gosh good luck this dress is gorgoeus
sorry no help
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i_squared_u

hurray for right angles!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2007 03:48:24 PM »

wow. that dress is lush.

I'd say go with it.
Creative license and all that.

^^ I think that's the way to go. You could still embellish black velvet and create a similar effect.

I fell in love with this Gucci dress awhile ago...

http://www.i-dmagazine.com/previews/272/272.jpg

I found some of the posh sequin fabric (not the costume stuff) but it was hideously expensive so it's on the back burner for now.

« Last Edit: August 06, 2007 10:44:33 AM by kategirl » THIS ROCKS   Logged
stereoette
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2007 09:57:20 AM »

http://www.fabric.com/apparel-fashion-fabric-stretch-fabric-lycra-fabric-spandex-sequin-denim-patchwork.aspx

i thought this was interesting, might be a starting point.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.stereoette.com

handmade with my headphones on
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Correct Eye color in Photoshop
How to Correct basic Color on Photoshop
How to Use the Blending Modes in Photoshop Part 1/2
Adobe Photoshop Express Beta - Software Review
Adobe Photoshop CS4 Icons - Software Review
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Spice Latte
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...