A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 302,597
Currently Running With Scissors:
743 Guests and 33 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Proenza Schouler Look 31 Dress  (Read 10511 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

hanae
« on: February 11, 2007 06:11:54 PM »

"Look 31" by Proenza Schouler; Bergdorf Goodman

I love this dress.. but not the price ($5525--bergdorf goodman)  Cheesy
The pattern looks fairly simple.. it's the sequins that look like suicide. I'm not sure which pattern to use on the dress part, and I can't seem to find what material the base would be. Any ideas?

Runway Picture
Bergdorf Goodman description
« Last Edit: February 15, 2007 05:24:01 PM by hanae » THIS ROCKS   Logged
xfoxglove
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2007 06:24:18 PM »

Dear lord, is the entire thing sequins?  Even the black, too?  That /would/ be suicide. 

The only thing I could think of is something slinky, maybe like something suited to dancing?  I'm not sure if that's any help.

I googled sequined fabric and got a bunch of results, but they might be too 'novelty' for your tastes.

Anyway, I hope you can figure this out.  It's beautiful.  Especially the runway shot on Stam.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

myspace.com/xfoxglove
educo
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2007 06:39:13 PM »

YO. I want this dress too!!  I would suggest doing the seguins.  Not all over but definitely in some spots here and there.  If you use bigger sequins, you can cover more in less time.  I also suggest getting sequined elastic for the belt.  A simple shift dress should do.

Simplicity 3874  Looks good!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
roxybadoxy

Glcklich mich

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2007 06:58:14 PM »

oh my goodness!!!!! that dress is love! i must make one! (well of course without all that detailing) i think i'll just stick with making the dress! thanks for the inspiration and sorry i'm no help!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

please help some animals by clicking here!
OH! and there are other tabs so you can do more helpful things. YAY!!
SakanaSea
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2007 07:08:12 PM »

That dress is freaking awesome Shocked You could get some black sequined fabric (I know I've seen it somewhere?) and then you would just have to add the patches of other colors...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

natiux

loves Hippopotamuses and Hippopotamuses love her 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2007 08:29:58 PM »

Thats some awsome dress... here's the thing .. i can do the emroidery ive done it for bellydancing outfits fairly quick but i cant sew..

What do you say you sew it i embroider it and we can change you have it one season  i the other hhahahahaha

(joking)

I hope you manage to make it $5k for it its crazy..
 Grin Grin Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have an Etsy! .. www.nataliaraya.ets y.com

Fan page...http://www.facebook.com/nataliajewelry

... and a blog...http://gravitando.wordpress.com/

Lets just leave it there!
wonderwitch
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2007 02:25:25 AM »

ooh, thats so cool & artsy! the pattern looks simple enough, maybe even a t-shirt dress pattern would do, just search the pattern sites, i'm sure you'll find something. as for the fabric i'd suggest you make it out of black sequin fabric and then add colored sequins on top of that fabric where you want them. you'd probably get the same look.

natiux, if u can bead &embroider you'll find sewing a breeze! make someone teach you! it opens up so many possibilities!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
natiux

loves Hippopotamuses and Hippopotamuses love her 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2007 06:29:56 AM »

Sad..

I've tried and when i try to get my stiches straight they just go zig zag... would love to get a course or something..but yeah the day i make clothes i will never go shopping again i'll go "idea stealing" instead
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have an Etsy! .. www.nataliaraya.ets y.com

Fan page...http://www.facebook.com/nataliajewelry

... and a blog...http://gravitando.wordpress.com/

Lets just leave it there!
white trash hero
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2007 06:41:57 AM »

you can get black sequine fabric, usually used for theatrical outfits
try http://www.efabrics.co.uk/ go to Browse Shop > Fabric > sequined fabrics they have really good prices too Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
i.am.flowerchild

Hello from Australia!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2007 01:18:37 AM »

That's a really awesome dress.

The problem with using a cheap theatrical sequinned fabric is that the garment will end up looking cheap too - think of kids costumes!!

If you can find a place near you that sells designer fabrics, then you might get lucky with finding some decent sequinned fabric. There's a place near me that sells similar but not black unfortunately and it's about $40 a metre (but it's really, really gorgeous stuff).

Then once you have that (and a pattern of course), then you can make the dress.

After that its all of the embellishments - which will take hours and hours of work (which is why the dress has a massive price tag!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hanae
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2007 05:57:40 PM »

Thank you for all the response! I'm so excited that there are so many ideas about this. Its beautiful, and I really hope I can make something similar.

The problem with using a cheap theatrical sequinned fabric is that the garment will end up looking cheap too - think of kids costumes!!

If you can find a place near you that sells designer fabrics, then you might get lucky with finding some decent sequinned fabric. There's a place near me that sells similar but not black unfortunately and it's about $40 a metre (but it's really, really gorgeous stuff).

Then once you have that (and a pattern of course), then you can make the dress.

Do you happen to know what fabric the base of the designer sequined fabric is? I think if its anything stretch/spandex it'll end up looking like a children's costume.. but if I can stay away from that it'll be fine and hopefully similar.

What do you think of using velvet instead of black sequins? Vinyl? Or black satin.. or just a fabric that is thick and semi-glossy? Any ideas?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
aucuns_soins
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2007 07:12:32 PM »

What do you think of using velvet instead of black sequins? Vinyl? Or black satin.. or just a fabric that is thick and semi-glossy? Any ideas?

I'd say go with it.
Creative license and all that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
brunette304
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2007 01:50:59 PM »

I absolutely love this dress! It's gorgeous and definately in style right now. I would also use a different fabric for the background (like what the person above said) since it might look tacky if it has too many sequins. Plus it will be difficult to find the perfect black sequin unstrechy fabric for a good price. Good Luck  Cheesy and if you end up making it- post pictures. I would love to be able to make something like this...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
laura1121
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2007 02:02:06 PM »

gah that dress is gorgeous.  i love proenza schouler.  good luck, and if you make it please post!!! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
nicegirl512
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2007 03:49:51 PM »

I think black velvet is a great idea.  The texture will contrast nicely with the sequins.

My random thoughts:  it looks like the fabric has at least a little stretch; it also looks like it has raglan sleeves.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have an Etsy Shop for my jewelry!
cats_pajamas
Certified Weirdo

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2007 06:46:57 PM »

the black sequins look smaller/slightly diffrent than the colored ones. i bet you could find some decent silk/imitation silk all-ready sequined (sewn on sequined, not the kind where the sequins are a part of fabric, yuck) black fabric. i know i had custom made dance costumes out of entirely pre-seqined fabric. im sure if you searched around you could find a place that sells fabrics like that to dance studios and stuff.

then you could decorate it with bigger colored sequins after you stitched it together. If you do use pre-sequined stuff you might wanna line the dress to keep the sequins on the seams from scratching you up. and i used to own a top from the 80's covered in sequins and it was reeeallly heavy.

as for the pattern, it looks like a big tunic with kimono sleeves, so it would be two pattern pieces, the front and the back. and it would probably have a zipper in the back from the neck to the small of the back.

i sure it would take almost no time to sew it, even if you drafted the pattern, but the embroidery is what might kill you... ^.^' But if you use big sequins it might cut your time down.

i also really like the idea of Velvet, but if your not careful it might look kiddish

sorry about the um, novel... but yeah, please post pics when you finish! it is a gorgeous dress! i cant wait to see it!
« Last Edit: February 23, 2007 06:54:27 PM by cats_pajamas » THIS ROCKS   Logged
educo
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2007 12:23:42 AM »

This is already on my way too long list...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
micky_mouse
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2007 08:44:24 AM »

oh gosh good luck this dress is gorgoeus
sorry no help
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i_squared_u

hurray for right angles!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2007 03:48:24 PM »

wow. that dress is lush.

I'd say go with it.
Creative license and all that.

^^ I think that's the way to go. You could still embellish black velvet and create a similar effect.

I fell in love with this Gucci dress awhile ago...

http://www.i-dmagazine.com/previews/272/272.jpg

I found some of the posh sequin fabric (not the costume stuff) but it was hideously expensive so it's on the back burner for now.

« Last Edit: August 06, 2007 10:44:33 AM by kategirl » THIS ROCKS   Logged
stereoette
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2007 09:57:20 AM »

http://www.fabric.com/apparel-fashion-fabric-stretch-fabric-lycra-fabric-spandex-sequin-denim-patchwork.aspx

i thought this was interesting, might be a starting point.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.stereoette.com

handmade with my headphones on
ellgee
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2007 10:18:07 AM »

Every thrift store in the world has an 80's sequined black dress.
You might be able to take it apart and use the fabric. It would save you a great deal of money.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
girls_on_film
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2007 11:24:22 AM »

I second (third, fourth?) the idea of using pre-sequined fabric and putting coloured sequins over it.

I've sewn a bag and put huge amount of sequins on and it took me hours, and it was nowhere near the amount of sequins that are on this dress. It would take years. haha
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.suigeneriscloth ing.net
Unique, one of a kind, handmade clothing!
rollagasper
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2007 07:19:45 PM »

OMG i want this dress!
Did you end up making it?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jessdell
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2007 03:36:44 PM »

i'm totally into this. does anyone have a pattern for this style of dress though?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
xfoxglove
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2007 09:41:43 PM »

i was shopping the other day and walked past the express.
i went in since they were having this big sale and i saw a sequined dress like this.

they have it in gold and black and another color.  (not that that really matters, but...)

it's about the same length, sleeves looked pretty similar.
i didn't look at the price.  i'm sure it's a pretty penny, but nowhere near what the proenza dress would be.  if you were having a really hard time with the sewing the dress part and just wanted to do the colored/extra sequins part, it'd be a great jumping off point.

anyway, i glanced on their website, but didn't see the exact one.
(plus i don't know how to link to the exact image on their fancy animated site.)

so, yeah.
don't know if it helps.
but i thought i'd mention it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

myspace.com/xfoxglove
educo
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2007 05:04:11 PM »

Have you guys checked out ebay?  They have some great vintage patterns and most of them are from the 60's which will match the silhouette of this garment.  Plus depending on the pattern, you can get it dirt cheap.

Here are some suggestions:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Vogue-Paris-Original-Dress-Pattern-Unused_W0QQitemZ150145460059QQihZ005QQcategoryZ4161QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Vogue-Couturier-Design-Pattern-Unused_W0QQitemZ150145469478QQihZ005QQcategoryZ4161QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
THIS ROCKS   Logged
alsports2000
« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2011 08:38:44 AM »

Does anyone here have any ideas on how to sew/glue sequins on a hello kitty face???. I started one but its taking me a day and a half to finish it and I am sewing each individual sequin. Thanks. AL. Kiss
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Stir Fry Food Technique - Chinese Culinary Chicago
Chef school class - chinese food equipment
Chinese cuisine class - food ingredients
How to Make Fried Bananas
How to Make Fast Chinese Food Easy?
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...