A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 298,238
Currently Running With Scissors:
693 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I Hate Jump Rings  (Read 1143 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

chaoticallycrafty
« on: February 04, 2007 07:14:17 PM »

It's true I officialy want to go and throw every jump ring I see in the trash.
I have been battling wit hthese buggers for a good few months, even buying a pair of "jump ring pliers" from the local bead store. The result has been launching the things across the room (the rings not the pliers and not  out of anger just what sems to happen.)
So does anyone have any tips or techniques? I have googled and tried a few things but I still seem to have no luck getting them to cooperate.
OR
can I use split rings the same way?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

xo, Rayne
Hawkwolf

I love to Maille!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2007 08:40:53 PM »

erm.....what are you trying to do with the rings? Cheesy

I've sprung a few across the room in my time..... LOL

I use two pairs of needlenose pliers. Some people like bent nose pliers, but I can't get into them. I hold my pliers in my hands point down, holding both sides of the ring I'm bending with the joint directly in the middle of both. I push my right hand forward, opening the ring, and then when I include the ring in the pattern, I push my left hand forward, closing the ring.

If you don't grab enough of the ring, it'll fly off into space, or even worse, you won't close the ring flush, making one side of the joint higher than the other. Then you're stuck with a non circular ring, or a 'pringled' ring (it has that curve to the vertical plane, it looks like a pringles chip). It definitely takes some practice!

Don't give up!!
Tadd (AKA Hawkwolf)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Custom chain maille for sale!
"http://www.Hawkwolfs.com/"
 Hawkwolf's Armory and Accoutrements
chaoticallycrafty
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2007 09:22:02 PM »

A pattern I was doing called for me to attach one of those metal things that has the three strand places to a toggle on the side that has the 1 strand loop thing and it was making me angry lol.
I will have to try the round nose pliers thing (as soon as I get another pair lol.
Yeah somewhere in my house there is a place where all the jump rings tgo to escape...maybe i'll find them iwth the socks that go mising...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

xo, Rayne
twowishes

I am the warden of PUPPY JAIL.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2007 11:13:19 PM »

Yeah somewhere in my house there is a place where all the jump rings tgo to escape...maybe i'll find them iwth the socks that go mising...

Hee hee, try the crack between the couch cushions.  (At least if you make jewelry while sitting on the couch, like I do....)  Every time I decide to clean under the couch cushions, there are enough stray beads and jump rings down there to make entire necklaces!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

So I finally started a blog.... 
Sophisticated Hippie
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2007 12:12:51 AM »

A few hopefully helpful hints:
1. open your jump rings from side to side, dont try to spread them open, like a C.  This should help you keep better control of them and have better results when closing.

I've tried using the jump ring tool that you place on your finger like a ring but I've never been able to get the hang of it.  I just use my round nose and bent nose pliers.

2. make sure you arent using a heavier gauge wire than needed.  I use 18-20 gauge jump rings for most of my projects.  If I'm using a large jump ring 9mm+ then I'll use heavier gauge but you have a little more to hold on to with the bigger rings so you can put a little more muscle into it without them flying off to never never land.

3. Put a piece of cloth (I use a white pillow case) on your seat if you are sitting in a lounge chair or couch.  Since I do all my jewelry making on a bead board in my lap in the living room this saves me tons of lost beads.  Each time I finish a project I carefully pick up the pillow case I've laid over the "cracks" in the cushions to save any beads or findings that I've dropped or launched.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. ~Benjamin Franklin
twowishes

I am the warden of PUPPY JAIL.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2007 09:27:21 AM »

Ooh love the pillowcase idea -- I'd never thought of that.  Thanks!!

(And I second the other two, in terms of advice....)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

So I finally started a blog.... 
krazigal72
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Jeweled Whore

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2007 10:28:32 AM »

I agree w/ SophisticatedHippie. You may not be using them correctly. Jump rings are a pertinent part of jewelry design, unfortunately for you, I guess. Just practice with them. Also, if you are buying crappy ones, that might affect the ease of using them as well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Only dead fish go with the flow.

If you're gonna play with fire, then you're gonna get burned.

Craftster has the best Mod Squad ever. <3

Remind me that we'll always have each other
When everything else is gone.
funkyjunkdesigns
Private Jewelry Making Classes Available-Chain & Maille A Specialty

this is made from a bicycle innertube!!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2007 05:27:19 AM »

http://www.beadingtimes.com/project1205.htm
http://jewelrymaking.allinfoabout.com/features/jring.html

fjd
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Recently Retired Items are now Jewelry...We Support Various Charities!
http://recentlyre-tired.blogspot.com/
RainbowArt
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2007 10:28:13 AM »

this is a great thread!  I thought I was the only one who hated jump rings...at least I now know I'm not alone.  Thanks for all the great tips from everyone as well.

Ally
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Wonderful Wist List!
http://www.wists.com/rainbowart
thirteenleafclover
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2007 07:53:05 AM »

also, make sure at least one pair of your pliers are flat, not round-nosed. I can use round-nosed for the second pair, as long as I have a good grasp on the other side with the flat ones. But trying to do it all with round-nosed pliers makes for tons of slippage.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bridges and houses are learning to fly secretly so we won't know why. and good for them!

http://www.thirteenleafclover.etsy.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Will Bunch Talks About Tear Down This Myth
Melissa Anelli Talks About Harry, A History
Stephanie McClellan and Beth Hamilton Talk About So Stressed
Illustrator Marla Frazee Shows You All the World
Sam McLeod Talks About Big Appetite
Latest Blog Articles
Craft Challenge #103, Foodie Frenzy 2 Winner
Tute Tuesday: Upcycled Car Trash Bag with Liner
Monsters, Monsters Everywhere

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...