A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 315,697
Currently Running With Scissors:
408 Guests and 3 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: dress styles?  (Read 2955 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Flying Betty
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2007 03:34:09 PM »

Wrap dresses are incredibly flattering- but only if the neckline is low enough to accomodate your chest.

I have something like this
and it works really well because on the model the belted part goes around her waist but on me it hugged my ribcage quite nicely. Empire waists work if the top half is long enough to fit your boobs. In general lower necklines are more flattering, just wear a shirt underneath it if you don't want to show too much skin.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
RunsWithNeedles
chyeah

i like to get naked.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2007 03:58:35 PM »

i have the same exact body type.
5'2", big boobs (d's), and chub.

i look best in this kind of dress:
http://www.anthropologie.com/jump.jsp?itemID=15193&itemType=PRODUCT&iSubCat=297&iMainCat=17

a line skirt, simple bodice, not too low cut, with a waist-sinching device  Wink

and you could easily change the colors of that to make it more your style (plaid! Cheesy )

check out simplicity 3867, or especially simplicity 4265

Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sit right next to me<br />Against the glass<br />Where we both can see<br />Focus on the ground<br />Disbelief of where we used to be<br />--"Troposphere" by Steve Burns--
kristiface
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2007 04:05:00 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gnk5ZaQBxI8&mode=related&search= is the episdoe of GG I was referring to; you have to get past the first 3 minutes of the show and remember that everyone's stretched taller/thinner than they actually are, but the splash of color and the unique cut could be really flattering, I think. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Joy is but the sign that creative emotion is fulfilling its purpose.
-- Charles Du Bos
rottenlittleboys

Inspiration without application is moot.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2007 10:31:17 AM »

Something like this dress might work because of the darker side panels and the way it flares from the body might help with balancing problems.
I would make the straps smaller for those with a large chest or wide shoulders like mine.

I also like the black detail just under the bust, giving the appearance of a smaller waist. It is the same detail that gives so many of the rockabilly dresses that curvy look.

http://www.thecalicokids.com/Jenblackvestdress.html

This pattern has the same thing going for it, high waisted skirt that flares from the waist, emphasis just under the bust line.

http://www.smartcart.com/1sew/cgi/searchindex.cgi

If you really just feel best in this one particular style of dress, try this pattern with a couple of changes.

Do not make the piece that goes around the hips in a contrasting color, move that up to around the waist or under the bust, (yes, again). If you want the movement of a circle skirt, but not the bulk it adds, try making the skirt a gored one.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

How-To Videos
How to Blow Dry Black Hair
How to Make a Bump in Your Hair
How to Straighten Hair without a Straightener
How to Braid Your Hair
How to Backcomb Hair
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Vermicomposting
It's a bad week to be a seal...
Flower Power!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...