A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 296,652
Currently Running With Scissors:
676 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: In which I discovered top-down knitting and sewn scarves.  (Read 1725 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

corbeau64
« on: February 10, 2007 06:08:34 PM »

I must say I love top-down sweaters. Here's why:

bell cardigan by corbeau64, on Flickr

I finished it in 2 weeks, even with my usual ADD knitting style (where I work on something else for a while and flit back and forth between my 9,000 projects, which could explain why I don't really finish things, but that's beside the point!)

Also, there's this:

cardigan clasp by corbeau64, on Flickr

The pattern called for an ugly garter stitch tie around the neckline, so I used this instead. (It's from the jewelry section of Hobby Lobby.)

And then there's the sewn sulky-paper scarf:

sewn scarf by corbeau64, on Flickr

It was the 2nd thing I did on my new sewing maching and I wanted to toss both it and the brand spankin' new Singer out the window which screaming obscenities (which would not have been appropriate considering I was attending a retreat in convent at the time.)

Oh, the pattern is from knitting pure and simple, # 241, and I used Naturalle Tussock DK, in case anyone wanted to know.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2011 10:16:00 AM by jungrrl - Reason: changed links to images » THIS ROCKS   Logged
greeneyeses007
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2007 06:27:22 PM »

That is such a gorgeous cardigan! And the color is really pretty too. The sewn scarf is also nice, but it does sound irritating to make. Beautiful stuff!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

knitting blog? guilty.
http://www.yarntastic.blogspot.com
Are you tall? Do your shirts never fit? Come on over to tall girl knitting! http://tallgirlknitting.blogspot.com
cha.cha.cha.
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2007 09:49:34 PM »

I'm really impressed with the sweater! And I must second the compliment on the color- so lovely!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

blog!  http://nomoresweaters.blogspot.com

how do you catch a unique squirrel?............. u-nique up on it.
Michele1620
JP Knitting Lady!

Love me, love my crafts!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2007 06:59:57 AM »

lovely sweater!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cupcake-girl
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2007 12:39:21 PM »

I hate sewing, too. It's the most frustrating thing I've ever tried, and I'm never pleased with the end-product. So I gave away my machine and never looked back.
On the other hand, I have a friend who sews gladly and beautifully. She can't stand to knit--it drives her mad!
To each her own.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
corbeau64
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2007 01:34:12 PM »

Thank you all very much! I love the color too- I was helping unpack the bag sale stuff at the LYS where I work, and promptly hid this bag for myself! (The benefits of working at a LYS are many, first dibs is the best among them!)

I don't mind sewing so much, I just hated making this scarf. A couple of the yarns (Cubik from FFF and Ombre from Laines du Nord in particular) kept getting drawn down into the bobbin chamber and jamming it up. Luckily at this retreat there were more than a few quilters who helped me figure out that I needed to raise the presser foot a bit and that wouldn't happen (as much). I do love my new machine, and I can make purses like nobody's business, but I'm still working on making acceptable garments. I'll get there.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
naelany

Duck, Duck....silly goose!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2007 01:43:33 PM »

the cardi's been wisted. For some reason though, the other two links come up as "problem loading page" *sigh*
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"just keep crafting, just keep crafting"

Sorry I've been gone so long. Am trying to get back on the boards. Body's thrown me for a few loops these past months and am still learning to adjust. Thanks for your patience.
Legerdemain

knitting is dreamy....

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2007 10:29:23 AM »

Your cardigan turned out really lovely!  And I really like the clasp as well.  Good idea!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Swap Shop14!

Wist

Ravelry ID: Legerdemain
kbelle
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2007 12:40:27 PM »

Just beautiful!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

eatyerhartout
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2007 01:30:58 PM »

the cardi's been wisted. For some reason though, the other two links come up as "problem loading page" *sigh*

The URL includes brackets that shouldn't be there. Just copy and paste the link into your browser and delete the brackets before pushing Go. No big deal.

I love that cardi!!! It's beautiful. The clasp really adds class to it. Very nice!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I like to do personal swaps now and again.

I knit, crochet, and make stitch markers.

Just pm me if you wanna swap. Smiley
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Peppermint-Toffee Brittle
How to Make Honeycomb
Pretty Little Liars Celebration Cake Recipe
How to Make Lacy Almond Cookies
Blueberry Scone and Clotted Cream Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...