A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 297,496
Currently Running With Scissors:
577 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: looking to purchase some good dpns  (Read 1095 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Jacklad
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2007 10:23:36 AM »

I love the Inox metal ones - they come in sets of five, and have a very smooth coating.

They also make lace sized dpns - those are nickel plated and run from 1.25 to 2 mm in size (0000 to 0).

But be warned - my preferences are for sharp and slippery, so if that isn't your thing, these might not be for you.  Grin

Jackie
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Chimera
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2007 10:55:40 AM »

I love bamboo needles and use them for just about every project. I too, knit fairly tightly and find them simply the best. I find that natural fibers (esp. wool and cotton) do not move as smoothly across plastic and metal needles. I have a couple of pairs of lion brand metal needles that I bought when I first started knitting because they were cheap and I did not want to invest big $$ in a project I may not like in a few months and I find that the tips get rough after a while from the friction of knitting. I also have a pair of knit picks metal needles - I like them but they are really slippery and pointy. The ends also don't get rough from the nickel coating - I'd say they are a good investment. Knitting flys with them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
wootwoot

Strange things are afoot at the Circle K...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2007 11:07:43 AM »

Those lion brand double points are bleh.  Not pointy and made of a kind of yucky plastic that doens't let the yarn slide well.  I don't mind plastic needles (I love my Denise set), but these are no good and overpriced as well. 

I almost exclusively use magic loop, but I do have a set of Brittany birch which I like and they're not much more than the Lion Brand. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

misplacedhippie
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2007 11:11:18 AM »

I have worked with all three and dont care for the bamboo, not slippery enough for my tight stiches.  I usually use the metal ones, I had to buy a second pack of size 4 to finish a pair of gloves but it was worth it.  I have plastic ones in size 10, you could cut yourself with their super pointy point, but that was all I could find in my area close to the size I wanted (10 1/2).  Oh to find some bigger and smaller dpns.  
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.wists.com/misplacedhippie

Desperately seeking Beatles Fabric (found at some walmarts).  Will trade/send money/ Send Elvis Fabric (what my walmart has). PM me! Please!
Jacklad
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2007 01:52:13 PM »

The 8" Inox dpns come in 10.5 (and I already mentioned their lace needles). Here's a site that carries both:

http://www.halcyonyarn.com/knitandcrochet/knitneedles.html

Jackie
THIS ROCKS   Logged
eatyerhartout
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2007 02:12:41 PM »

Thanks everyone.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I like to do personal swaps now and again.

I knit, crochet, and make stitch markers.

Just pm me if you wanna swap. Smiley
lavieenrose
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2007 02:43:50 PM »

I magic loop just about everything these days, but I really like my brittany birch dpns.  The only other kind I have are the clover bamboos and those work well, too. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Chimera
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2007 03:24:06 PM »

Has anyone tried Addi Turbo needles?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bronxie
I like yarn! Yarn, Yarn, yarn

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2007 05:53:01 PM »

I'm a magic looper but from time to time I turn to my crystal palace dpns. I love them!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
arabella
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2007 07:30:56 PM »

another vote for Clover bamboo needles here. I've only purchased size 6 and up though.  I need the stickiness, because I tend to drop stitches.

Has anyone tried Addi Turbo needles?
I haven't tried their dpns but I LOVE the circs.  I honestly find them the perfect needle.  when I win the lottery, I am buying all addi turbos.  in every size. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw a Monkey
How to Draw Mojo Jojo from The Powerpuff Girls
How to Draw Miss Martian from Young Justice
How to Draw Mikey Simon
How to Draw Michael Jackson
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...