A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 298,249
Currently Running With Scissors:
547 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: looking to purchase some good dpns  (Read 1116 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

betzi

A Really Useful Engine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2007 08:37:03 AM »

I used to use bamboo for socks almost exclusively, but I am now a metal DPN convert.  For me, they just knit faster, and my guage is spot on every time.  Since i'm a tight knitter, they just seem to suit me better. the only drawback is that you have to be careful that your stitches don't fall off when your project is just floating around in your knitting bag.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

have2craft
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2007 08:50:33 AM »

I have a few pairs of Lion's plastic dpns, and I do not like them.  They're all I can find locally so far, though.  As already mentioned, they aren't very pointy at all, but my biggest gripe with them is that there's a "seam" on them.  That seam on some of the tips snags on the yarn.  I always forget to try to smooth it out until it snags mid-row.  Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~Dee~
meriellyn
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2007 03:57:32 PM »

I have some of the Lion Brand ones and I don't like them at all. They have a metal core that wiggles around and is obnoxious. Plus the plastic feels yucky, has ridges, and stitches don't more well.

Brittany Birch are nice and I want to like them but the birch is too sticky and flexible for me and they're blunt. The smaller sock gauge ones are pretty fragile too.

I have some 7" Clovers that I got early on in my knitting life and they work fine if I need to use them but I prefer a shorter needle (5-6").

My very favorite is Crystal Palace Bamboo. Great points, great finish, perfect length (6"). I think they're pretty too.
But I'm a poor student so I have a good collection of Plymouth Bamboo. Also my ideal length, better finish than Clover, moderate tips I can deal with. They break in well. Don't bend much and feel better over time.

I also have some super duper cheap 8" Bamboo DPNs. A whole lot of them. US 0-11, I believe. I've sanded and waxed them nicely and they're my back-up needles. No matter what size I need, in a pinch, I have something to fall back on. I got them all in a great trade.

I rarely use metla DPNs. Occasionall a 00 or 000 but nothing large gauge. I've had one too many mishaps w/ needles escaping.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Sabin Willett on the Inspiration Behind Abide With Me
The Hormone Cure: Easy Tips For Better Sleep
The Hormone Cure: Easy Tips For Improving Your Sex Life
The Hormone Cure: Easy Tips for Reducing Stress
Mary and Lou and Rhoda and Ted by Jennifer Armstrong
Latest Blog Articles
October 29, 2014 Featured Projects
Craft Challenge #103, Foodie Frenzy 2 Winner
Tute Tuesday: Upcycled Car Trash Bag with Liner

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...