A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 297,476
Currently Running With Scissors:
713 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: looking to purchase some good dpns  (Read 1094 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

eatyerhartout
« on: February 09, 2007 05:35:10 PM »

I'd like to buy some dpns soon, but I'm not sure of a good brand. My only criteria really is that I'd like them in sets of 5 rather than four, because most patterns I've looked at call for 5. I'm mainly considering Lion Brand (shown here) and I'd really like some feedback on them. Any other suggestions would be most welcome as well! Thanks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I like to do personal swaps now and again.

I knit, crochet, and make stitch markers.

Just pm me if you wanna swap. Smiley
steezah
gimme a beat and a bassline

get rich or die knitting

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2007 06:45:43 PM »

recently got into bamboo needles. big time. besides the four "the collection" ones that i just scored offa destash (thanks karin Wink )
i've about 4 pairs of takumi/clover dpns all have 5 sticks
they aren't as quick as metal but adds that slight catch thats helpfull when using slick yarns.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tempestt03

Cattus meus id comedit

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2007 06:54:55 PM »

I love bamboos as well.  I've never used metal double points but I imagine they'd be super slippery.  Plastics would probably be less slippery, and cheaper than bamboos.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

(\_/) 
(o.0)   
(_ _)
steezah
gimme a beat and a bassline

get rich or die knitting

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2007 06:58:27 PM »

oh, and there is the pointy factor.
i've found metal needles to be super pointy while bamboo are more rounded but still defined and plastic being the most blunt
THIS ROCKS   Logged

eatyerhartout
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2007 07:32:21 PM »

Thanks for replying so quickly. I was just looking at some Clover bamboo dpns online. They're less expensive than I thought, so I'll consider them, too. How flexible are they, btw? They aren't gonna snap, I hope. 

Steezah, I'm glad you mentioned the points. I found a pic of the points of the lion brand plastic dpns and they look, well, concave. Maybe it was just that set, but I doubt it. They weren't pointy at all. They were the total reverse. I'm also trying to steer away from metal ones for fear of stabbing my fingers to death.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

leppardess

my cats walk all over me...

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2007 08:38:57 PM »

I use Susan Bates DPNs and I like them so far (I'm making socks ATM). Although they don't come in sets of 5 (sort of a setback), I like them for the 'pointy' factor. They're sharper than bamboo DPNs and slicker but I haven't had any problems so far with the yarn slipping off... yet.

They're relatively cheap so buying another set won't set you back a lot.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
JBoudreau
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2007 08:53:04 PM »

I have a few pairs of Clover bamboo and I'm not so fond of them. I'm not a tight knitter, but one of the sets warped after a few hours of use and now they drive me nuts. I hate warped needles!

I recently got a few pairs of Knit Picks needles. I was concerned that they would be too slippery and would fall out of the stitches, but I haven't had any problems. They're really pointy, which is a plus for me. Since they're metal, they're super shiny which I find distracting.

My very favorite DPNs are Brittany Birch. No warping! Pointy, but not too pointy! Not slippery, but not sticky! I can't recommend them enough!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Conley
I Poke You With Sticks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2007 09:37:41 PM »

I use the Susan Bates ones right now (aluminum) and they've never done me wrong. I'm looking to maybe acquire some KnitPicks ones when the tax refund comes in (pointness factor is major for me, I desire pointy).
I had some plastic ones, but felt like I was knitting with pick up sticks- I hated them.
There is a JoAnns generic brand of DPNs (which every single set is this weird battleship grey) that I abhor. They're aluminum, and the finish they have is not smooth at all but bumpy- like knitting with a rock or sandpaper or kitchen counter. I used them once and never again.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Blog    http://stephieface.wordpress.com
Ravelry    http://www.ravelry.com/people/Stephieface

2/18/12 - I no longer have the directions for wrapped pens, I lost them several years ago. To obtain them for yourself, do like I did, contact DMC threads directly and ask for them.
kyou

Pinktank - The Knitters Army

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2007 10:13:38 PM »

I always buy clover brand, that's what works for me. Bamboo is great, but only for sizes 5 and up otherwise they tend to warp. Stick with a metal for smaller sizes. Addi Turbo's are nice but pricey. The only brand I would recommend staying away from is Brittany. I think they're cut to short and hit my palm in a weird, annoying and slightly painful way.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://pinktank.etsy.com - Hat Patterns

Check out my blog and enter my first contest! http://thepinktank.blogspot.com
snakeface

Clinging on to the earth

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2007 03:45:39 AM »

I use Birch metal ones most of the time. I tend to knit really tightly, so I think I'm better off with the slippyness. I'd prefer them in a set of 5, but oh well. I'm looking at Inox ones for Next Time.

I had a set of plastic ones and they were just awful.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Look at me! I'm literate! http://snakefaced.blogspot.com/
Jacklad
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2007 10:23:36 AM »

I love the Inox metal ones - they come in sets of five, and have a very smooth coating.

They also make lace sized dpns - those are nickel plated and run from 1.25 to 2 mm in size (0000 to 0).

But be warned - my preferences are for sharp and slippery, so if that isn't your thing, these might not be for you.  Grin

Jackie
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Chimera
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2007 10:55:40 AM »

I love bamboo needles and use them for just about every project. I too, knit fairly tightly and find them simply the best. I find that natural fibers (esp. wool and cotton) do not move as smoothly across plastic and metal needles. I have a couple of pairs of lion brand metal needles that I bought when I first started knitting because they were cheap and I did not want to invest big $$ in a project I may not like in a few months and I find that the tips get rough after a while from the friction of knitting. I also have a pair of knit picks metal needles - I like them but they are really slippery and pointy. The ends also don't get rough from the nickel coating - I'd say they are a good investment. Knitting flys with them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
wootwoot

Strange things are afoot at the Circle K...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2007 11:07:43 AM »

Those lion brand double points are bleh.  Not pointy and made of a kind of yucky plastic that doens't let the yarn slide well.  I don't mind plastic needles (I love my Denise set), but these are no good and overpriced as well. 

I almost exclusively use magic loop, but I do have a set of Brittany birch which I like and they're not much more than the Lion Brand. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

misplacedhippie
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2007 11:11:18 AM »

I have worked with all three and dont care for the bamboo, not slippery enough for my tight stiches.  I usually use the metal ones, I had to buy a second pack of size 4 to finish a pair of gloves but it was worth it.  I have plastic ones in size 10, you could cut yourself with their super pointy point, but that was all I could find in my area close to the size I wanted (10 1/2).  Oh to find some bigger and smaller dpns.  
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.wists.com/misplacedhippie

Desperately seeking Beatles Fabric (found at some walmarts).  Will trade/send money/ Send Elvis Fabric (what my walmart has). PM me! Please!
Jacklad
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2007 01:52:13 PM »

The 8" Inox dpns come in 10.5 (and I already mentioned their lace needles). Here's a site that carries both:

http://www.halcyonyarn.com/knitandcrochet/knitneedles.html

Jackie
THIS ROCKS   Logged
eatyerhartout
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2007 02:12:41 PM »

Thanks everyone.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lavieenrose
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2007 02:43:50 PM »

I magic loop just about everything these days, but I really like my brittany birch dpns.  The only other kind I have are the clover bamboos and those work well, too. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Chimera
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2007 03:24:06 PM »

Has anyone tried Addi Turbo needles?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bronxie
I like yarn! Yarn, Yarn, yarn

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2007 05:53:01 PM »

I'm a magic looper but from time to time I turn to my crystal palace dpns. I love them!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
arabella
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2007 07:30:56 PM »

another vote for Clover bamboo needles here. I've only purchased size 6 and up though.  I need the stickiness, because I tend to drop stitches.

Has anyone tried Addi Turbo needles?
I haven't tried their dpns but I LOVE the circs.  I honestly find them the perfect needle.  when I win the lottery, I am buying all addi turbos.  in every size. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
betzi

A Really Useful Engine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2007 08:37:03 AM »

I used to use bamboo for socks almost exclusively, but I am now a metal DPN convert.  For me, they just knit faster, and my guage is spot on every time.  Since i'm a tight knitter, they just seem to suit me better. the only drawback is that you have to be careful that your stitches don't fall off when your project is just floating around in your knitting bag.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

have2craft
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2007 08:50:33 AM »

I have a few pairs of Lion's plastic dpns, and I do not like them.  They're all I can find locally so far, though.  As already mentioned, they aren't very pointy at all, but my biggest gripe with them is that there's a "seam" on them.  That seam on some of the tips snags on the yarn.  I always forget to try to smooth it out until it snags mid-row.  Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~Dee~
meriellyn
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2007 03:57:32 PM »

I have some of the Lion Brand ones and I don't like them at all. They have a metal core that wiggles around and is obnoxious. Plus the plastic feels yucky, has ridges, and stitches don't more well.

Brittany Birch are nice and I want to like them but the birch is too sticky and flexible for me and they're blunt. The smaller sock gauge ones are pretty fragile too.

I have some 7" Clovers that I got early on in my knitting life and they work fine if I need to use them but I prefer a shorter needle (5-6").

My very favorite is Crystal Palace Bamboo. Great points, great finish, perfect length (6"). I think they're pretty too.
But I'm a poor student so I have a good collection of Plymouth Bamboo. Also my ideal length, better finish than Clover, moderate tips I can deal with. They break in well. Don't bend much and feel better over time.

I also have some super duper cheap 8" Bamboo DPNs. A whole lot of them. US 0-11, I believe. I've sanded and waxed them nicely and they're my back-up needles. No matter what size I need, in a pinch, I have something to fall back on. I got them all in a great trade.

I rarely use metla DPNs. Occasionall a 00 or 000 but nothing large gauge. I've had one too many mishaps w/ needles escaping.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Cornmeal-Berry Sheet Cake
How to Make a Tequila-Soaked Pineapple on Grilled Pound Cake
How to Make Grilled Pineapple Skewers with Caramel Syrup Drizzle
Pear and Vanilla French Toast Bake Recipe
How to Make Grilled Pineapples with Coconut Ice Cream
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Sandwich Wrap
Falling Leaves
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...