A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 297,050
Currently Running With Scissors:
427 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Tut For Long Fold-Up Wallet, As Promised ~ Very, Very Pic Heavy!!  (Read 11152 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

runnermom100863

Sew like there's no tomorrow.

View Profile WWW
« on: February 09, 2007 11:33:13 AM »

After posting this wallet here
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=144630.0
a tut has been requested.  So...

Here is my version of how to make a fold-up wallet, but you might want to get a cup of coffee first, cause it's alot of reading!  But don't fear, it's not hard, I just have this need to "over-explain" things! Cheesy:

OF= Outer Fabric
IF= Inner Fabric (lining)
RST= right sides together
WSO= wrong sides out
WST= wrong sides together

Pieces you need:

1 - 9" W x 14" L -- outer body piece
  1 - 9" W x 14" L -- lining body piece
  1 - 9" W x 8" high -- money pocket (I used the outer fabric)
  1 - 9" W x 8" high -- lower pocket (I used the lining fabric)
  2 - 9" W x 5" high -- 2 small card pockets (I used one of each for
                              contrast)
  1 - magnetic snap (or velcro, if you prefer, for your closure)
  some light interfacing and heavier interfacing

STEPS:

First, interface all of your pieces -- light on all pieces except for the outer body piece, which gets the heavy interfacing.  I use sew in and baste as close to the edge as I can, so these don't show later on.

Take your money pocket piece and fold RST and stitch 5/8" along the long edge; press open; turn RSO; press again.  Topstitch along the top long edge.  Put aside for now.

Next, take your lower pocket and 2 small card pocket pieces and fold them WST, raw long edges together.  Topstitch the top edges of all 3 of these.

This next step can be done 2 different ways.  I'll show what I did this time, but at the end of this tut, I'll explain the other way:
I  attached the OF small pocket piece to the lower pocket piece, as pictured, by stitching along the bottom raw edge of the OF small pocket.   

Then attach the IF small card pocket piece as pictured below

Topstitch down the center of that whole piece, through all thicknesses.  I also basted the sides together here, but you don't have to.

Next, baste that whole stitched-together piece to right side of the lining body piece, lining up the bottom raw edges, as pictured.  Also, take the topstitched, turned RSO money pocket piece and place it somewhere in the middle of the lining body piece (I gauge where by "folding" the wallet together to see if it folds up OK.), and stitch along the bottom edge of it (where you see the pins in the pic).

Now, put the outer body piece and inner body piece RST and stitch a 5/8" seam all around, leaving a 4" opening at the top of the wallet.  Trim corners and seams, except for that top 4" opening, cut as pictured.

Turn the whole thing RSO.  This is the hardest part!  It will depend on the type of fabric you use...obviously the heavier stuff is a little harder to turn and stitch.  Hang in there and keep working it, pushing out the corners as best you can!  Smiley  Press it as much as you can.  The opening should look something like this:

Mark a spot in the center, about 3/4" down from the top, and attach your magnetic snap piece.  After attaching that piece, I fold the wallet down to gauge where the other part of the magnetic snap should be on the wallet, as pictured. Then, mark that spot.  Reaching in through that top opening, attach the other magnetic snap piece, as pictured.

Tuck in that uncut opening edge, and press it.

After pinning all around (I just do it so nothing shifts), topstitch the top section only, as pictured.

Voila!  You're done!!  Smiley
Finished pics:

**The other way to do the small pocket piece is before topstiching the OF small pocket piece, stitch the long raw edges RST, maybe just 2/8" seam, and turn RSO, then topstitch it--like you did the money pocket piece--and proceed as above.  This way, that bottom edge is finished, as opposed to raw, but this wallet is for me, and it is hidden.  The way I've done this in the past is to cut the small pocket pcs. different sizes -- the OF one being 6 1/2" high instead of 5" high, so that it will line up along the bottom raw edge of the lining body piece and will be "caught" in the seam when you stitch both body pcs. together.  The only down-side to this is that it's alot of thickness to stitch through when putting body pcs. together**

If anyone has questions, just PM me, and I hope this was a clear tut!  Cheesy
« Last Edit: February 09, 2007 11:40:30 AM by runnermom100863 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I miss my doggy~Apollo~He'll forever be in my heart

my etsy shop ~ preg_replace('/(.{19})/', '$1 ', 'www.lillaka.etsy.com')
Ickle_1
The Man in Mint Green

This is Death's toast.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2007 11:54:58 AM »

This is great! My wallets always turn out too small or crooked, so thanks. Maybe I can make a good looking one now!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Bailliesbagsbaubles
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2007 12:51:08 PM »

OH thank you, Ineed a new wallet oh so bad and this pattern / tute is on my level, LOL.  Now If I could just decide what fabric to use, hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Leesah
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2007 01:31:15 PM »

wow thats awesome!!!!  The current pattern (my own made up one) I use for wallets is really lengthy too.. I'm not even sure I could make a tutorial.  You did a great job!!!!  Thank you for posting this! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mickncrispy
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2007 02:55:32 PM »

runnermom you are brilliant.  Thanks so much for the tute.  I would be sewing up one of these today if I didn't have to work this weekend  Angry
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ive got a perfect body, though sometimes I forget
Ive got a perfect body cause my eyelashes catch my sweat
Yes, they do, they do
rr
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2007 03:09:03 PM »

Thank Thank Thank You  !!!!!!!!!!!!! I will try it this weekend
THIS ROCKS   Logged
KabirRocks
Sweet Tupelo Creations

Falling doesn't always hurt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2007 03:40:12 PM »

Grin Great tute!  I love making wallets and I can't wait to try your pattern!  Thanks for sharing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Just gotta keep living man, L-i-v-i-n."
ingysoup
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2007 03:49:31 PM »

Thank YOU -- I love this!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
distractedlily
"Use what talent you possess: the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best." -Henry Van Dyke

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2007 04:42:42 PM »

Sooooo Fabulous!! Thanks for sharing!  Looking forward to trying your tut instructions..  I have way too much scrape material leftover from my bags and have been wanting to try a wallet.  Now I have no excuses Grin!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

chrissiemags
Chrissie's Custom Creations

Is there such a thing as too much fabric or ribbon

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2007 04:47:27 PM »

Awesome!   **jumping up and down whoo Hoo**  Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!!

*bookmarked* *wisted* *copied* *pasted* *saved*
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Chrissie's Custom Creations
~Offering Laser Cut Scrapbook Embellishments~ Trendy & Classic Hair Accessories~ Cute as Can be Bottle Cap Images~Bottle Cap Jewelry
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Get Trendy In Sporty Chic Shorts
Finding the Perfect Summer Dress
Angelina Jolie Makes a Sexy Statement at Her First Post-Surgery Red Carpet
Pretty Savvy: Beachy Chic
Stars Sizzle in White Hot Fashion
Latest Blog Articles
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...