A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 296,380
Currently Running With Scissors:
517 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Gifts for cross stitchers  (Read 1102 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

wykidgrrl

Just a little seditious.

View Profile
« on: February 09, 2007 11:07:05 AM »

Hey all.  My sister is planning on taking up cross stitching, one of the only crafts I don't do.  Her birthday is coming up and I was wondering if anyone had any ideas for a good inexpensive gift to help her get started.  I have mad crafting skillz (may outdated slang never die) but little money.  She already has a carrying case that I knitted her for christmas.  Now I'm at a blank. What do you think?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
teraspawn
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2007 11:11:55 AM »

You could print her some free cross-stitch patterns from the internet and give them to her along with some cross-stitching canvas and maybe some of the relevant colours of thread if you can run to that much Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sunnyskies*4*
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2007 12:21:51 PM »

Maybe one of those divided boxes to organize the floss. They are actually meant for bead organizing but since I wind my floss onto little plastic floss holders they fit perfectly. I write the floss number onto the plastic holder and keep it all organized and easy to find.  I've got 2 big divided boxes like that so staying organized is a must!  Grin   I also have a smaller box like that too with about 3 or so dividers that I use to organize each project.

Other good things for cross-stitching are small scissors and maybe package of tapestry needles. I prefer the tapestry needles myself, but that could just be one of those personal things.

Here's a pic of what I'm talking about incase I didn't make any sense  Cheesy

(modified to add pic)
« Last Edit: February 09, 2007 12:26:04 PM by sunnyskies*4* » THIS ROCKS   Logged

~~Sunnyskies~~
Lady Llanalla

Half Birthday Cake Face Girl

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2007 02:01:06 PM »

As much as the boxes with plastic tabs are functional I think they are A) too time consuming (winding all that floss every time you get a new color an become overwhelming and eventually most of us not to organized crafters end up with a wad of floss we meant to roll, but didn't right?), and B) You end up with kinks in your floss which make it more likely to tangle when using it.

I love the idea of picking up a few inexpensive, but cute kits, but you might want to pick up one of these (info to follow) while you are there. Floss is very inexpensive and you can make up your own patterns as you go along, but floss likes to tangle and become a thready knot of color. As an alternative to the plastic box I recommend the following (your best bet is WalMart I believe, something like $3-4) It can be used in conjunction with the kits or just to hold your floss for any project. They are little plastic zip top baggies with holes punched in the bottem and a binding hoop.

The ring is with a pack of twenty to twenty five of the baggies and there are more than one brand that supplies these. I recommend this over smaller baggies with a hole punched in the top where you open and close the bag as this way you can leave it on the ring and still use your floss, which is less likely to end up with you having a pile of baggies to pick up every time you want to use some floss.
The white spot can be used to mark the number of the floss, personally I just leave the tag in with the floss so that the baggy can be used again and again.

This is just my orange floss, but it works for any amount of floss really. You can always pick up bigger rings in the office supply area or at an office supply store.
Cheap and totally useful...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I swap, so in crafting terms I guess that means I put out... You?
AcrophobicPixie
Resident Piximacated Person

Kneesocks of DOOOM! DOOOM, I say!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2007 01:27:10 AM »

my LES has little learner kits that aren't utterly cheesy or kid-ish looking. I picked up a bookmark kit that was very pretty for a friend's wife (cause I was teaching her to cross stitch before they moved back to Australia), and it helped boost her ego, so she does stitching on a somewhat regular basis now.

You could always make a personal pattern by using the Knitpro program and a favorite picture of your sister's, then getting all of the colors she'd need and a hoop and fabric.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Don't piss off Pixie's... they tend to be mean when they swarm!
wykidgrrl

Just a little seditious.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2007 07:32:26 PM »

Some good ideas here.  Thanks.  I think I can figure something out from this.  Now if I can only figure out something for my mom.  She's the hardest person on the planet to get stuff for.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kea
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2007 04:00:13 PM »

there are lots of little things you could get her... the floss storage is a great idea but there are lots of other things that are cool too... 

one thing i've used for a long time is this small container i use for my needles.. basically it looks like one of those really small rectangular containers pencil lead comes in, only it has a thin sheet of magnet attached to the back.  It's handy because when you open up the container to get a needle you don't have to worry about all of them flying out because of the magnet. plus it's small and portable and the perfect size for needles. 

Another cute idea i've seen in cross stitch shops that could be copied involves a pair of those flat round magnets.  The cross stitcher puts one on each side of fabric that she's working on, they stick to each other thru the fabric and viola, she's got a place to stick her needle while working so that it doesn't get lost or fall off the thread... then you decorate the "front" of the magnet pair with whatever you want... my mil bought me one from a cross stitch shop and it had a little ceramic decoration on front...

or you could look for something to help her hold her patterns in place... i know they sell (and you could probably make/buy cheap) metal holders where you use magnetic strips to hold down your pattern... i have problems with patterns sliding away sometimes...

this isn't exactly a gift in itself but you could get her a daylight bulb... one problem cross stitchers run into when stitching at night is bulbs that cast a yellowish light often make it hard to distinguish colors... trust me, it sucks when the next morning you get up and find you did a whole section with the wrong color...

if you really want to put more effort than money i like the posters idea of printing out free patterns from online and putting them in a binder... you could even organize them by subject with tabs, make an index, etc. etc...
also, something i would have found handy when i started was a listing of sites with good free patterns...

hope some of these have helped... good luck and i'm sure she'll like whatever you give her...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lady Llanalla

Half Birthday Cake Face Girl

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2007 04:50:05 PM »

also, something i would have found handy when i started was a listing of sites with good free patterns...

I may not be new, but I would still like a list of sites with good free patterns... Went looking recently and kept running into those things where you have to fill out all this stuff in hopes that you buy things (sometimes completely unrelated) and wind up with a ton of new junk mail! I would love to here of any suggestions...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I swap, so in crafting terms I guess that means I put out... You?
kea
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2007 08:20:35 PM »

I may not be new, but I would still like a list of sites with good free patterns... Went looking recently and kept running into those things where you have to fill out all this stuff in hopes that you buy things (sometimes completely unrelated) and wind up with a ton of new junk mail! I would love to here of any suggestions...

maybe we could compile a list in another thread?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
"Erase" Unwanted Object in Photoshop
DMQT #4 - Final Cut Pro - Working With Transitions
DMQT #9 - Mac OS X Leopard - Hiding The ...
DMQT #8 - Adobe Lightroom - Painter Tool
DMQT #7 - Final Cut Pro - Button Bars
Latest Blog Articles
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects
How to Make Summer Treats
July is National Blueberry Month

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...