A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 300,949
Currently Running With Scissors:
620 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Knitter Moving to NH in August  (Read 4118 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

BostonBecca
« on: February 09, 2007 10:55:00 AM »

I'm moving to NH from Boston in July right after taking the bar.  I ran across a yarn store in Portsmouth that was pretty small.  How are the knitting supply stores and groups up there?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
wiseowl
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2007 11:11:42 AM »

I know that The Elegant Ewe in Concord, NH, is very popular: http://www.elegantewe.com/index.php?UID=20070209141310129.170.149.169
I live on the NH/VT border, and periodically do a day trip to Concord for yarn and beads and delicious baked goods. You do tend to have to be prepared to travel in this area to get to things since much of the area is so rural, but they are all nice trips, so who cares? I think the seacoast/nashua/manchester should have a good amount of shops. I am not in any groups, so can't speak to that, but again, I think Elegant Ewe has a good community going.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
glittergirl94
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2007 03:52:16 PM »

I recently discovered The Elegant Ewe and it's fantastic!  The people that work there are so nice and helpful.  The website doesn't do them justice.  If you're looking for a large craft store, there are Michaels Craft Stores in Concord and Manchester.  I tend to go back and forth between The Ewe and Michaels now since Ben Franklin Crafts in Franklin and The Yarn Room in Laconia(is that even the name of the shop, I can't remember) dissapeared...  Like wiseowl said, be prepared to travel, or buy online... 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BostonBecca
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2007 02:49:15 PM »

Thank you both so much!  This was very helpful.  I will be traveling to Boston(family) and NYC(boyfriend) pretty frequently, so I don't think I will lack for opportunities to visit stores but I really want a good localish yarn store for tips and help and the Elegant Ewe sounds good (I'm a very new knitter who has become mildly obssesed).  I'll be sure to visit it the next time I go up there.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
stoliedina
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2007 06:48:54 PM »

Hi Becca! I live near Portsmouth and had a knitting group going here for awhile, but we haven't met in a long time. I don't go to the store in downtown Portsmouth as I had a bad experience there. The girl working there criticized me for wanting to tackle a difficult project, insinuating I didn't understand what I was taking on...very rude and I've never returned. There are a few small stores around here in Hampton, Dover, York Maine that I know of that are very nice, but I'm so lazy for the most part I get my yarn online. If you move to the seacoast PM me if you'd like to get together and knit!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

shimma shimma, glimma glimma, c'mere let me give you a lil' shhhparkle. - me Smiley

http://www.geekxnerd.com/
http://geekxnerd.etsy.com
Mosquito
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2007 01:21:48 PM »

That's too bad. I've been in that store several times and while it's certainly small the people working there have always been very sweet and encouraging to me.  Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Gracie247
Librarian wannabe

Crafty Bookworm

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2007 12:16:37 PM »

There's also The Fiber Studio in Henniker, which isn't too far from Concord (about fifteen minutes). I'm a big fan--a bunch of yarn and fiber in an old barn, and the owner is really nice. On the seacoast there's Charlotte's Web in Exeter and another one in Dover, I'm not sure what it's called. I haven't been to those two so I won't vouch for them. I haven't had any bad experiences at the Yarn Basket in Portsmouth, but I had a double attack at Ewe'll Love It in Nashua (and it's very expensive--on average the yarns were marked up least two dollars more than other stores sell them for). And if you're in/near Manchester, my hometown, we recently got Pearl's Yarn Shop, which is small but adorable with lots of great yarns (and the owner is very nice). There's more but I can't remember right now.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I feel sorry for people who don't make things. When they wake up in the morning, that's the best they're going to feel all day." -paraphrased Frank Sinatra
phro
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2007 08:12:49 AM »

The one in Dover is called Spinning Yarns.  It's on Central Ave in the center of town.  It's great!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jewelaroni
I'm a PInja RoBoy!

The owls are not what they seem.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2007 02:53:43 PM »

I have only been to the yarn basket once, and an older woman was working. She was really helpful when I asked her about double knitting, answered a couple questions I had about my project and didn't even give me any crap for working with acryllic yarn. I guess it all depends on who's working at the time. The yarn basket is really cool though. I'd like to start a S&B in the area if your interested. I created a thread for it... no responses yet though... if you're interested leave a comment on that thread or PM me. Good luck with your exam!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Grapenuts, Carl."

I'm taking a break from swaps. :'(

Go hang a salami, I'm a lasagna hog.
I <3 Dale Cooper.
jetgrrl
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2007 10:27:05 AM »

Hi there. I really like Ewe'll Love It in Nashua. It's the kind of store that makes me dizzy with the alternatives, but they have a huge selection and the Superbowl Sale every year is well worth the effort to get to.

I live in Derry and there's supposedly a place toward Chester but I haven't been there yet and cannot remember the name right now. Where will you be living in NH?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
VF COLLECTIONS: Chado Ralph Rucci Autumn/Winter 2011-2012 -NYFW
VF NEWS: Ralph Rucci Spring/Summer 2013
Sephora Creme Lip Stain Review
Fun Fall Facials
How to Make a Milk Bath
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...