A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 300,890
Currently Running With Scissors:
739 Guests and 34 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: knitted dishcloths... more interesting now that they have a pattern!  (Read 2657 times)
Tags for this thread: pattern  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

vivacekate
« on: February 09, 2007 10:38:42 AM »

I'm a two-week lurker, first time poster on the knitting board. My soul, you guys make some awesome stuff!
This certainly is not the most exciting thing I've ever made, but I really needed to do something mundane after finishing the sweater I made for my fiance this Christmas.
So I whipped up a bunch of dishcloths. They're 8 inches square, knit on a bias.

These take me about a half hour each to make but they are wonderful!! It's the only thing I'll use and my grandmother, who's pattern I use, swears by them still after sixty or so years. They are machine washable and don't fall apart like sponges do. And cotton yarn comes in a host of fun colors, so you can make them to match your kitchen. Pretty darn fun! They make good knitting during movies or whatever too because they don't take much concentration.

I don't have time to post a pattern right now, but if anybody really wants one, I can certainly put it up.

Thanks for looking!

EDIT:

Upon request, here's the pattern. It's really, really easy. Enjoy!

Supplies:
1 skein any color 100% cotton yarn, worsted weight (Peaches & Cream brand is the most common in the US)
Size 8 knitting needles

Pattern:
The only stitch you need to know is knit for this one! Sit back and relax....

R1. CO 4
R2. K 4
R3. K 2, K 2 in next st., K1
R4. K 2, K 2 in next st., K2
R5. K 2, yo, K to end of row
Rep this *K2, yo, K to end of row* until you have approx 40 sts. or size you want.
Decrease:
K 1, K 2 tog, yo, K 2 tog, K to end of row
rep. this *K1, K2tog, yo, K2tog, K to end of row until you have 6 sts.
K1, K2tog, K to end of row (rep until you have 4 sts)
BO

Weave in your ends and you're finished!
« Last Edit: August 27, 2011 01:52:27 PM by lapoli - Reason: edited to fix images » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Life is uncertain... eat dessert first.
Kurtzie
Kurtzie

kitty feet

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2007 10:44:39 AM »

cute and functional!
This sounds silly but i've always wondered what kind of yarn works best for these, i've gotten a few as gifts and i can't figure out what yarn they use Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I love personal swaps, PM me!

My ETSY! Including Hooker on the Go Keychains!
http://LittleGemsbyKari.etsy.com
R3n331
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2007 11:48:29 AM »

Those are Fantastic Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

U R Eating Glitter
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2007 12:25:26 PM »

When I finally make some dishcloths (I will do it...) I would love to use that pattern, if possible Cheesy Those look awesome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

westcoastchica
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2007 09:32:42 AM »

Knitted dishcloths ROCK. So much better than anything else! (knitted facecloths are awesome too... my mum knit/crocheted me a whole set...)

I think I have a whole bunch of Peaches n' Cream in my stash... time to go make some  more dishcloths! :-) And I love that pattern. So simple, but makes such a nice scrubby fabric!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kelseymelissa
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2007 09:58:34 AM »

I like that type of dishcloth. My grandmother made us a whole bunch like that (they look exactly alike). We've had them for ages, and they've finally worn out, so I'd really like to knit some new ones.
It would be great if you could share the pattern. Smiley

I also really like the yarn you used. Very pretty. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
babylee
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2007 06:02:55 PM »

thsi may be a really silly question... but are these washcloths for your body or for dishes? Or can they be used for either?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
myklia
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2007 06:16:36 PM »

I love knitting dishcloths.  I also find that they are amongst the most appreciated things that I knit that I give to others, more so than any scarves or hats.  Maybe at some point I'll knit one for myself. 

I haven't knit one like that yet, but I plan on knitting a bunch soon to learn different stitch patterns (I'm still somewhat of a newbie).  I will definitely have to try this out.  Thank you so much.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

utemama
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2007 08:35:46 PM »

thanks so much for sharing,now i have get onto a mate in the us and organise more peaches and cream,thanks
THIS ROCKS   Logged
DisneyDancer1986
Queen Of Knitting Faeries

Knit On!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2007 11:05:33 PM »

I love them! My mother must have came across this pattern because she has made some exactly like yours, and I use them more than actual cloths that my step-mother-in-law gave us (And they are Martha Stewart!). Now it's nice to know that I can make my own to add to my collection, and give as gifts!  Smiley

And to those wondering what the best kind of yarn to use, Peaches and Cream or Lion Brand Lion Cotton are some of the commonly used yarns. However, any cotton yarn will work.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2007 11:08:22 PM by DisneyDancer1986 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

:::
.-*-.(`).-*-.
`..`....
http://knittingfaerie.blogspot.com/
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Meet Food Photographer Carl Warner
The Art of Food Photography
CNET.Com: Create a Time Lapse Video
How to Build a Picavet for Balloon Photography
7 Items for Awesome Lighted Photos
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight On: Stamping
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Jose Romussi
Tute Tuesday: Imprinting on Concrete

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...