A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 302,598
Currently Running With Scissors:
734 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Twinkle's Big City Knits: 30 Chunky-Chic Designs  (Read 3421 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

bubilina

deliciously inane

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2007 08:19:23 AM »

Did we ever resolve the "knitted size" question?  The measurements in the book ared labeled as knitted size.  Usually stuff stretches considerable, so perhaps a knitted 32 actually is a 36?

Pinkyswear, you could probably answer this one best since you have completed a project.

Anyone know of an inexpensive yarn substitution?  I'm a super beginner so these patterns are already a bit scary without knowing I paid a small fortune for the yarn!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kjtendyke
« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2007 08:54:48 AM »

I work at Classic Elite and have had the pleasure of trying on many of the garments in this book. I consider myself a regular medium, with a bust measurement of 37".

While the finished measurement of the garment is small, the garments are designed in a way that makes them form fitting, and they stretch out to hug normal sizes. So, while they measure one size laying flat, when they are worn, they fit because of the amount of give the design has.

I know it's not easy to just trust this, but I just wanted to throw out my experience with the garments. As many of these designs are knit on huge needles, if for any reason it doesn't give enough to fit, at least there wouldn't be a TON of time wasted.

I checked with some women at work, and we've been told that the sizing for the garments is based on how Wenlan usually sizes her fashions. So an Extra Small was designed to fit a size 0-2, Small to fit 4-6, Medium to fit 6-8 and Large to fit 10-12. Of course, there could be some lee-way there.

Also, I was just informed that a garment that measures 24" was put on one of our Small employees with a bust measurment of 33" and it fit beautifully.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

zknits
« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2007 10:06:07 AM »

i'm not sure how the sizing works for this book since from what i remember all the patterns have 3 sizes (is that what kjtendyke has described as xs, s, and m or is it s, m, l, etc?)...i agree that they're probably stretchy, but i'm still worried about the sizing especially with the sweaters that are meant to be not form fitting...

i've been flip flopping a lot on whether to get this book or not...sounds like it's a problem to find the yarn (which probably means that it's really expensive) and that the sizing is possibly really limited...but the designs are so amazing...sigh...  Sad

z
THIS ROCKS   Logged

check out my knitting podcast (knit obsession) at: http://seezknit.blogspot.com/

http://zknitsgoods.blogspot.com/
knit_north
« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2007 10:24:47 AM »

well ... the book is staying on my list - i adore twinkle's designs ... the lack of sizing info is a bit dissapointing - ie it really should say 24" knitted garment - fits bust size xx
however thank goodness we have craftster - and this info is getting out to us anyway!! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kjtendyke
« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2007 12:43:45 PM »

The yarn should be available at the end of the month. To get a general idea of pricing, and to preorder, here are some links:

Cruise: http://www.shopatron.com/index/458.1.20402.0.0.0.0

Kids Mohair: http://www.shopatron.com/index/458.1.20403.0.0.0.0

Soft Chunky: http://www.shopatron.com/index/458.1.20401.0.0.0.0
THIS ROCKS   Logged

so soon
« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2007 07:26:22 PM »

I got my book today! I am a huge twinkle fan, so I had preordered this book when I found it on Amazon back in December. I love the garments and they are styled and photographed beautifully. I am totally going to try one of the patterns right away. I have never really done a chunky knit sweater before because I always have considered them to be unflattering. I just can't resist with this book, though. Price is another issue Several of the patterns ask you to quadruple strand Twinkle's Cruise yarn, which ends up to be 15 or so skeins at about 11 bucks a pop. Ouch! I think that cruise could be subbed pretty easily. Twinkle's soft chunky yarn seems more difficult to sub, though, because there aren't many yarns out there that are so super bulky- and none of them are cheap for sure. I hope my lys will stock the yarn so I can visit it and decide if it is worth the dough!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

selling shoes, knitting sweaters
http://www.anothershopgirl.blogspot.com
Meet me on Ravelry. My profile: shopgirl
vysews
« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2007 11:38:17 PM »

I am such a Knitting Knerd that I went out to the bookstore last week when the book was released. I had been really looking forward to it, but then when I looked at it, I realized I didn't really like the designs very much--except for the Twiggy sweater, which I loved. So I'm going to wait till my library gets it and just knit it up during the time I have the book--it looks pretty quick. As for the sizing, it does explicitly say in there somewhere that it's meant to stretch a lot to fit you. You can see this best in one of the cabled sweaters, where the cables are long and close together when the sweater is flat, and then you can see how they fill out on the model.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

so soon
« Reply #37 on: February 21, 2007 08:39:13 AM »

I just read the reccommended yarn substitution section and I am thoroughly confused. Maybe someone who has knitted a twinkle pattern will understand. Help!

Here is the text:
"Instead of knitting with four strands of Twinkle's Handknit Cruise, you can use a single strand, such as Jaeger's Pure Cotton; Crystal Palace Yarn's Breeze; Classic Elite Yarn's Bamboo, Four Seasons, and Provence; and Brown Sheep Company's Cotton Fleece and Cotton Fine."

So you would be knitting these dk or worsted yarns as a single strand on size 15 needles? Why doesn't she reccommend double stranding these? These yarns don't seem equivalent, and I certainly would have picked something more in the bulky range for a single strand. Thoughts?

Here is my thought- in these patterns, perhaps using needles much larger than usually reccomended for the yarn, i.e. size 15s on worsted yarn, is what gives the garment elasticity. Imagine a 22" sweater made with a cotton/silk blend (the twiggy tunic in Cruise). A loose gauge might give the sweater the wiggle room necessary to stretch a bit.

Does this mean I can use my stash of brown sheep cotton fleece, originally intended for a short sleeve sweater, for a long sleeve tunic? I hope so!
« Last Edit: February 21, 2007 09:30:11 AM by so soon » THIS ROCKS   Logged

selling shoes, knitting sweaters
http://www.anothershopgirl.blogspot.com
Meet me on Ravelry. My profile: shopgirl
virginiawoolf
« Reply #38 on: February 21, 2007 08:42:58 AM »

Maybe she means that you could knit it in a finer guage with those yarns...instead of it being super bulky with 4 strands, it would knit up like a worsted weight sweater. I have no idea what the guage would be though. Strange...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"A canadian is someone who can make love in a canoe."
Le blog: http://emmasfavouritethings.blogspot.com/
knit_north
« Reply #39 on: February 21, 2007 09:24:45 AM »

hmmm that is strange - those ones would have to be double or triple stranded you'd think ..
wonder if it is a typo
« Last Edit: February 21, 2007 10:45:53 AM by knit_north » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Get Healthy Hair: 5 Quick Tips From Ken Paves
Ken Paves’s Ponytail How-To: the Updated Braid
Halloween Hair Color Tip
How to Make Your Hair Grow Faster
HAI-SST Blow Dryer Review
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...