A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 304,766
Currently Running With Scissors:
613 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Twinkle's Big City Knits: 30 Chunky-Chic Designs  (Read 3673 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

knit_north
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2007 11:17:57 AM »

ooooooh!! i thought this book was coming out later in the spring - v exciting it is already in book shops (alas no book shops here - yeah for chapters/amazon!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

zknits
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2007 01:07:09 PM »

i just saw this one in the bookstore the other day...be sure to take a close look and see if your size is in the patterns!  my friend saw an early draft of the book and warned me that what she saw was all model sizes...the finished product doesn't seem to have added much variation in sizing at all...

that being said there were definitely some great chunky knit designs in there, which i've been looking for since i generally don't knit with bulky yarns, but would like to do some of that...

z
THIS ROCKS   Logged

check out my knitting podcast (knit obsession) at: http://seezknit.blogspot.com/

http://zknitsgoods.blogspot.com/
zknits
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2007 09:23:26 PM »

okay...so i went back to b&n today to take another look so i could be more accurate...i would not buy this book if you're not comfortable resizing patterns!!  the largest bust size that i saw was 35" and that was for a bulky sweater!  the sizes are fashion sizes aka for the small and twiggy supermodels that are in the pictures...so if you're not small and twiggy, it's going to be more work than just following the pattern...

z
THIS ROCKS   Logged

check out my knitting podcast (knit obsession) at: http://seezknit.blogspot.com/

knit_north
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2007 09:33:18 AM »

so i am 35" - do most/all the patterns go that big or just one or two??
THIS ROCKS   Logged

zknits
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2007 09:43:28 AM »

the sizes differed depending on the piece...there were 2 big sweaters with loose fits that went to size 34" or 35" bust, but there were also some that had 28" as the largest size!  definitely take a look at the pattern specs before you buy!  i was really surprised how small some of the "large" sizes were.  Sad
z
THIS ROCKS   Logged

knit_north
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2007 09:49:01 AM »

the sizes differed depending on the piece...there were 2 big sweaters with loose fits that went to size 34" or 35" bust, but there were also some that had 28" as the largest size!  definitely take a look at the pattern specs before you buy!  i was really surprised how small some of the "large" sizes were.  Sad
z
wow  Embarrassed - i don't have a bookstore here - so thanks for the help ...
« Last Edit: February 17, 2007 01:49:03 PM by knit_north » THIS ROCKS   Logged

little3chordme
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2007 11:57:02 AM »

I just got mine in the mail today!  I have a theory about the small sizes.  It says "knitted measurements", not body measurements, and most of these look like they would stretch like crazy, at least horizontally.  I would pick your size according to the length, not the bust, knit it up and see what happens.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
knit_north
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2007 01:58:13 PM »

oh cool! there is hope
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rorosity
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2007 05:16:48 PM »

I just bought this today.  Great book.  I didn't even think about checking for sizing.  I am not twiggy/supermodel size, at all.  Hopefully, the patterns can be adjusted or the garments will stretch.  If not, my daughters will fit into them.  They are all size 2 and 3.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rorosity
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2007 05:55:00 PM »

A couple of things I just noticed while glancing through the book:

The gauges listed are a bit different than usual.  Insteal of the standard ______stitches = 4 inches, sometimes they use 5" or 6", sometimes nothing at all, but just a pattern repeat over_________inches.

Also....I did a search online for Twinkle yarn and it is not readily available.  I would like to see it in person, but it might be a bit difficult to find for awhile. 

I really like a lot of the patterns, though.  I think I will be knitting quite a few of them for my daughters.

Jeannine
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Kelsey Nixon Turns One Slow-Cooker Recipe Into Five Meals
One-Pot Skillet Macaroni and Cheese Recipe
4 Simple and Tasty Breakfast Sandwiches
How To Upgrade Your BLT With a Simple Twist
How to Make Flaky Buttermilk Biscuits
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup
@Home This Weekend: Create a Spooky Yard
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: Featured Artist Katrina Polacek

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...