A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 304,869
Currently Running With Scissors:
540 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Got the new Interweave Knits!  (Read 6142 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

vickilicious
« Reply #40 on: February 16, 2007 06:23:46 PM »

I really like the layout. It was smart to organize the patterns thematically (Plant Fibers / Revisiting Classics / Blooming Color / Shifting Sands, Tidal Pools / Make It Quick / Plum Cake / intimates) before jumping into the patterns because this unified the concepts behind the designs and brings to light the similarities between them. I like being able to see the groupings together, compare them side to side, and think about them all as pieces or ideas before getting into specifics and charts.

Readers may not recognize the versatility of bamboo knits (or even notice they were all knit in plant fibers) were the patterns simply interspersed throughout the magazine as stand-alone items. I think it works like mini-themes within collections, to give a sense of what's unique within each grouping.

People saying they feel like they're reading the full magazine are doing exactly what I think the publishers intend. Sending them a "complaint" that you have to go over all their ads and pages to get to what you want will only reinforce the efficacy of this strategy.

As for the ads, I guess they don't bother me terribly. If the magazine needs their ads to be more visible (because how easy is it to simply skip the whole advertising section in older issues?), so be it. It's not at all difficult to tell the difference between ads and content because of the thematic color bands across the tops of the pattern pages - which I think also helps with navigation.

What I like most about this issue is that I don't have the disjointed, head-scratching "Why is that, here?" feeling I've had about some items in the past. It doesn't feel like there is filler because each design fits within a conceptual framework, and because of the unity in color, yarn, etc, it doesn't seem like they had to force it to fit - it all feels organic and well-selected, in an appealing format that makes me excited to get knitting.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kpuppy
« Reply #41 on: February 16, 2007 06:37:00 PM »

Vicki: Well said. I was really indifferent about the new layout, but you actually convinced me that I like it. You're good Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

spacecase71
« Reply #42 on: February 16, 2007 06:41:19 PM »

That sucks, spacecase71! In a panic I ran to check my copy, but I have all the pages. Hope you hear back from them soon. Sad

(I assume you got yours in the mail? Otherwise I'd try taking it back to wherever you bought it from.)

I did get mine in the mail. They still have not responded. I guess I'll call again on Monday.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
yarnhag
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 17, 2007 04:30:07 PM »

anyone in canada receive theirs? i just started subscribing and when i got my confirmation it said it would be mailed out on feb 22! that's too long to wait, plus it says it'll be on store shelves feb 20, it must be a mistake. i'm in bc.. just wondering how long i have to wait... if it's not here today i'm going to start checking chapters to get a sneak peak.

I'm a little pissed off, actually... I signed up for a subscription in September, with a pull-out thing from the fall issue.  My first issue arrived December 29 -- and it was the FALL ISSUE?!?!?! (which I had bought).  I was really annoyed because I live in a fairly remote community in Northern Ontario, and our grocery store only brings in a few copies of each issue (we only get 2 or 3 knitting magazines, and not always each of them).  So, having subscribed, I didn't buy the winter issue when I saw it.  My winter issue never arrived.  Instead, I got two notices that my payment hadn't been received (leaving me to wonder who now how my credit card information... but that's another rant).  I phoned them after each notice to say that I'd sent it.  Then I got my subscription suspended.  So I said screw this and I phoned and paid again with my VISA over the phone.  And explained everything all over again... the woman with whom I was speaking said she'd send me the winter issue right away, and would send out the spring issue "soon."

The spring issue was on the grocery store shelf the other day and is now gone.  So I'd batter dang well get it.

It would seem to me, though, that part of the point of subscribing is to get some kind of advantage, not to have to wait until everybody else has their copy off the news stand before they even *MAIL OUT* the subscriptions.  Shocked  Plus, they send it the cheapest way possible, which means the package takes 4-6 weeks to get from California to Northern Ontario (my fall issue too 6 weeks, according to the postage marking... by the time I got it, my supbscriber secret password on the front had expired!)

I'm giving them this last chance, but I'm not thinking that I'll be subscribing next year. 

I really wish I had at the least flipped through that spring issue at the grocery store.  I'm off to check out the website now, instead!

EDIT:  I am *so* making the thong!!! And a nightie to match.  And the keyhole top. And the cable-down raglan.  Maybe the Bonsai Tunic and the lacy tank (though I'd change the ribs on the front to be a little less emphasizing to the nipple area!)... definitely not the bandeau... well... maybe even that.  OOOO! I'm so excited to get this issue!!! I hope it arrives in time to make something before the summer is over!
« Last Edit: February 17, 2007 04:37:07 PM by yarnhag » THIS ROCKS   Logged

box of purls
« Reply #44 on: February 17, 2007 04:57:15 PM »

I was like several of you and I started flipping through my copy of IK and couldn't figure out where the patterns started because I thought they were just ads.  Also I guess I missed it when I was flipping through my copy but I completly missed the thong at first.  I didn't expect that from IK, maybe that's why the people on the other board were upset, it's not really expected from IK. 
I like the apron, but I know the functionality and practicality of a knitted apron is zilch so I probably won't be knitting it. I like a lot of the patterns in the issue but I think the layout will take some getting used to because I keep thinking "Oh, I don't have the pattern for that, it's an ad for Classic Elite Yarns" or some such.  Change is good though.  Also I like the Eunny Jang entrelac socks, I've practiced entrelac  (in a swatch) in the last month.  But my copy of IK got torn on about 2-3 pages and that included the tutorial on entrelac, so I'm missing part of the instructions.  I'm going to contact Interweave to see if I can the part I'm missing. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
nabi
« Reply #45 on: February 20, 2007 12:00:17 PM »

This is the first issue of IK that I've actually bought, so I don't have a strong opinion on the new layout.  I do like having all the big pictures of the patterns together.

People upset about a knitted thong?  I could understand if maybe the picture actually had someone wearing it, but it's just on a hanger! 

The two items I like enough to possibly make are the green bamboo tunic (soon! for spring!) and the aqua topdown cabled sweater (maybe next fall). 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"No sense being pessimistic. It wouldn't work anyway."
superstitch
Clothing Moderator
Quilting Moderator

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

she's just a cosmic girl

from another galaxy

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 21, 2007 06:12:49 PM »

i'm not thrilled with the new layout but its not going to stop me from loving this issue. I already cast on for the entrelac socks (we need to start up an kal) and i really want to do the dollar and a half cardigan, although i want to make both sides the same, i dont think i like the cable on one side
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mustaches are sooo 2 years ago

my blog
wists
subloke
« Reply #47 on: February 22, 2007 06:06:50 AM »

When i read on the IK site that they were changing the layout I was a bit disappointed, b/c as many of you, I liked the old layout and that it was different from other magazines (VK, FCEK).  When I actually got my hands on the issue, it took a minute to process what the change was exactly, because I sometimes seem to flip through magazines starting in the middle (when standing up in a store).  So I didn't notice that there was a change other than the actual formating of the pattern pages, which I like.  I do appreciate the change, even though I liked the "old" way.  One thing I am VERY glad of:  the pattern pages are each given equal focus and aren't all bunched together on the page (like VK, FCEK).  I didn't renew my subscription this fall and now I'm kind of wishing I had.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

if you can't be a good example then you'll just have to be a horrible warning.

http://yesimadethat.blogspot.com
fragolina_piccolina

It means "little strawberry" in Italian ;o).

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: February 22, 2007 12:10:32 PM »

I guess I'm probably one of the 10 people that will actually make the knitted thong! I've scoped it out, downloaded the pattern, and am debating the practicality of using 100% silk yarn for an undergarment.

Heh, maybe for my wedding night  Roll Eyes

Still waiting on my issue, which they said will ship out on 3/08/07- even though I subscribed and ordered on 2/09/07. Does that make sense?!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

(`v)
`*..*
..*) .*)
(. (. . .`..*Melanie*
The Italian Knitter... don't insult the sticks, or you'll have to watch out for my knitting mafia!
dair

Cute but psycho - things even out!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: February 22, 2007 02:15:22 PM »

For the new subscribers - they always send your first mag out extremely late. I dont know why.

I subs in time for the Winter issue (i think in Septemeber) and it arrived 1 week ago. Guess what i got in my mail box yesterday - the Spring issue. LOL.
But - i did email them back on the first week of Jan, and told them the Winter one wasnt here and they extended my subscription for 1 more magazine.

About the new layout - i dont mind it - the pictures are definately clearer. I think some peoples gripe might stem from the KnitPicks advertisement right before the start of the patterns - makes it look like its part of the pattern section of the mag.

The Dollar and a Half Cardigan is lush! I have some lightweight Alpaca that i've been saving for something like this....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Final Cut Studio: FCE and FCP Filters
Final Cut Studio: Sprocket Holes?
Final Cut Pro/Express: Travel Matte
Motion 3: 3D Background Quick Tip
Motion 3: Random Mask Trick
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Easy Tile Coasters
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...