A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News: Craftster Best of 2014 have been announced!  Check out the winning projects here!
Total Members: 309,305
Currently Running With Scissors:
533 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: sweater sizing (should I keep going or start over?) pretty pretty please HELP!  (Read 584 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

meriellyn
« on: February 08, 2007 02:27:55 PM »

I started my first sweater not too long ago and I'm almost halfway through the back. It's the Donna sweater from MagKnits:
http://www.magknits.com/chilly04/patterns/donna.htm

I'm currently about a 42" bust so I'm already on the smaller side for this one-size pattern. I'm also seriously hitting the gym now and I'm afraid that by the time I finish the sweater, it'll be too large! Especially with the side ribbing, which I would prefer to be a tad stretched rather than hang totally limp. I'm sure I won't be a whole lot smaller but it's reasonable to expect 40" in the near future.

Should I rip this out and find a new pattern? I really like the look of this sweater but there's no instructions for making it smaller. If I just worked it over fewer stitches, I am not sure how that would affect the raglan shaping.
Has anyone made this sweater smaller?
Any comprable pattern suggestions? I have 8 skeins of Berroco Ultra Alpaca so I think I have enough yardage for just about anything.
I don't want any cables and I'd like a nice v-neck. Other than that I'm flexible. I'd prefer it was kida fitted, but only if the pattern has built in stretch like this one has the side ribbing. I don't wanna do ribbing all over though.

I was planning to finish the back and try to judge for that. Think I'm just wasting my time there?
I'm not sure where to go from here. I'm at the end of the first skein so I'm kinda at a turning point, debating starting the next one or starting over. Tongue
« Last Edit: February 09, 2007 04:08:06 AM by meriellyn » THIS ROCKS   Logged

meriellyn
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2007 03:05:44 PM »

If I took one 2x2 rib section off each side on both the front and back, how would I do the shaping?
Would that leave me enough room? (My stitch gauge matches the pattern. I'll have to recheck my row gauge because I can't remember it right now.) I'm only a B-cup but I could add the short row shaping to make the bust fit if necessary, right?

I don't usually have too much trouble adapting my own patterns but I'm intimidated by sweaters.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftykate
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2007 03:26:35 PM »

I adore this sweater, but the lack of size options has kept me from knitting it. I think the shape would be really flattering on me, but I too think the sweater would end up too large. Since I haven't done it I don't know it this would work, but here's the idea I was toying with.
What if you add more ribbing on the sides and take that same amount of stitches away from the stockinette parts on the front and back. Does that make sense? I was thinking along the lines of

(k2, p2) 6 times, knit 66 stitches, (k2, p2) 6 times.

Instead of
(k2,p2) 5 times, knit 74 stitches, (k2, p2) 5 times. like the pattern calls for.

My thought was the extra ribbing on each side might make it just a tiny bit snugger. Like I said, I haven't tried it. I might be way off in my thinking.  Huh
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://craftykate.etsy.com

Yep, it's a knit blog
http://craftykate-knits.blogspot.com/

wanna trade? I heart personal swaps.
meriellyn
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2007 11:19:25 AM »

That might work but I'm afraid if I move the ribbing in more, it might end up being partially in the boob area and look kinda funny once I get to the shaping. Course, I've never done raglan shaping before so I'm not sure. I'm also not sure if it would get inthe way of shrot row shaping. Then again, if I'm making it that large, I doubt I'd need any boob shaping. Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

fyberduck
the quacking fiber addict

I reject your reality and substitute my own

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2007 01:01:11 PM »

The joy of raglan shaping is you do it using the same formula, no matter what the size of the garment (this is why I looove knitting raglans).  Dec 8 sts (2 on either side of each sleeve seam) every other row (or every RS row in this case).  So, if you want to take stitches out to make it more fitted, I see no reason not to. 

If you're worried about the ribbing hitting you at a strange place (very reasonable concern), why not take out two rib stitches on either side -> eliminate the k2 from the cast on edge and the p2 from the end (you'll have to do this on both the front and the back to keep the ribbing in sync) - to take out 8 stitches in total (making the sweater size closer to 40") and preventing any ribbing issues or messing up the short row shaping (you'll still have the same number of stockinette sts in the center).

I hope this helps and that you find a solution you like!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

the qfa:
unequivocally proving that knitting is not an intelligence test

Got a tape measurer?
meriellyn
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2007 01:29:48 PM »

Thanks! Smiley That's what I suspected would be the best solution but I wanted confirmation from someone with some sweater experience.
I think that taking out that bit of ribbing will make the sweater fit now and keep it fitting later.
Now I just have to frog that first ball. *sigh* Better to frog one skein than a whole sweater later though. I love this yarn so I really want my FO to me wearable.
Thanks again.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

fyberduck
the quacking fiber addict

I reject your reality and substitute my own

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2007 11:34:47 PM »

Can't wait to see it Cheesy  It looks like it'll be lovely, esp with the alpaca!  Yummy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

the qfa:
unequivocally proving that knitting is not an intelligence test

Got a tape measurer?
craftykate
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2007 06:58:26 AM »

Ah ha. You are right the extra ribbing would help in the waist and look weird in the chest. I can't wait to see this. I'd love to make this too. If your smaller size modifications work I might be encouraged to try it. I'd like to second fyberduck's opinion on alpaca. Mmmm.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://craftykate.etsy.com

Yep, it's a knit blog
http://craftykate-knits.blogspot.com/

wanna trade? I heart personal swaps.
meriellyn
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2007 09:29:25 AM »

I'll definitely keep you updated. I think I'll frog and try to restert tonight. If I can drag myself away from my entrelac blankie, that is.
The Ultra Alpaca is really awesome yarn. I just love it. And it's pretty economical as well. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Perils of Pursuing a Prince Book Trailer
The Book of Spam Book Trailer Part 2
Jerry Falwell Book Trailer
Sometimes Moms Can Be So Embarrassing
Valerie Fitzgerald Talks About Heart and Sold
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Art Caddy
Everyone needs more fiber!
April 29, 2015 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...