A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 302,614
Currently Running With Scissors:
856 Guests and 31 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: age appropriate valentines crafts for a 7 and 9 year old?  (Read 1619 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

burstandbloom
« on: February 08, 2007 10:24:22 AM »

as the title suggest, i'm looking for some age appropriate crafts to do with the girls i babysit. the monday before v-day, i'm gonna bring stuff to make cookies and they can decorate them for all their friends...but i thought i might bring something more crafty too...like maybe that they could make for their BEST friends...or for their parents or something.

any ideas would be great! thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I love personal swaps!
Kurtzie
Kurtzie

kitty feet

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2007 01:52:45 PM »

bracelets or neclaces with red and pink or heart beads would be fun. Either using the elasticy strings for bracelets or just string for necklaces.
P.S- What a great babysitter you are, this is very sweet to do with them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I love personal swaps, PM me!

My ETSY! Including Hooker on the Go Keychains!
http://LittleGemsbyKari.etsy.com
burstandbloom
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2007 03:56:38 PM »

bracelets or neclaces with red and pink or heart beads would be fun. Either using the elasticy strings for bracelets or just string for necklaces.
P.S- What a great babysitter you are, this is very sweet to do with them.

haha thanks...it's hard to get them involved with crafting though! when i was little, all i ever wanted to do was arts and crafts, but these girls would much rather play outside or something than make things! Sad but they did like the cookie idea...haha.

the beads sound like a really cute idea! i remember when i was little, my friends and i always exchanged jewelry we made. and i know i could get a whole bunch for cheap too...so that's cool. thanks for the idea!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I love personal swaps!
missmeganmisery

Painted Flowers Have No Scent

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2007 12:14:23 AM »

i work at a school daycare thing so i have about 56 kids to come up with ideas for.lol but anyways, they all seem to like to do fusebeads.
and they can make like heart shaped ones for v-day and then attach little tags with string that say happy valentines or something. You can buy fusebead kits in the kids section of joannes and probably at walmart too and for only about $9.

here is a link in case you dont know what fusebeads are...
http://www.joann.com/search/search_results.jhtml;$sessionid$UWKE1YAAAAAOAP4SY5LRHOR50LD3UEPO?CATID=3&keywords=fuse+beads&_requestid=363

oh and you will need an iron.
hope this helps =]
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Miss Megan Misery
I do personal swaps. =]

My Wists:
http://www.wists.com/missmeganmisery
Kurtzie
Kurtzie

kitty feet

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2007 06:35:45 AM »

I remeber fusebeads!!!!
we use to hot glue magnets on the back or make pins out of them!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I love personal swaps, PM me!

My ETSY! Including Hooker on the Go Keychains!
http://LittleGemsbyKari.etsy.com
IamSusie
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2007 06:49:56 AM »

I don't like cards much for other holidays or even birthdays, but for me, Valentines Day is all about cards.

Kids like to cut, paste and design with paper.  You can show them how to cut out a perfect heart (using the fold-the-paper-in-half-technique)   then they can use those bits and pieces for their designs.  You can get doilies too and they can cut these up for lacy details. 

Oh and fused beads totally rock.  They are also called perler beads.

Shrinky dinks are totally full of awesomeness.  You can use the frosted sandy type and let the kids color them with colored pencils or Sharpies, if you have those.  Use a hole punch and make them into little charms.  Here is a link to a cute bracelet you can make with kids:  http://stampstars.blogspot.com/2007/01/very-crafty-birthday-bash.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged

burstandbloom
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2007 09:39:07 AM »

oh my gosh i LOVED fusebeads when i was little..how could i have forgotten about those?! wow. thanks for the reminder!

and to iamsusie....i was definitely already planning on bringing paper and stuff for cards...cuz i know you're right...kids love that stuff. anything that makes a mess. lol.

i don't really know what shrinkydinks are. i mean...i've seen them on here and stuff...but i dont know where you buy the stuff for it or whatever...

and those bracelets are so cute...i'm so glad i still have my gigantic lisa frank bead assortment in my bead stash. haha. i knew i'd need those beads again one day!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I love personal swaps!
IamSusie
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2007 10:02:19 AM »

Shrinky dinks are available at all the big craft retailers like Michaels and Hobby Lobby.  I suppose they have them at AC Moore, but we don't have them here. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Miss Violaceous

Condones Flashing

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2007 10:20:02 AM »

For the large groups, It's fun to do cards AND mailboxes. When I was in elementary school, we always made mailboxes or big envelopes every year to hold the cards (modeled after the teacher's). They made us make a card for every classmate so no one was left out.

For small groups, polymer clay would be good too. You could make beads, and some of those little hearts that separate and have a loop on each half and say "best" and "friend."
THIS ROCKS   Logged

annasrobbie
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2007 02:29:06 PM »

Once I had my little group of baby-sitees make a bouquet of paper flowers for their mom.  Cut out a bunch of hearts and poke a hole in the bottom of each one and then  thread them onto a pipe cleaner.  Each heart is then petals and you can use some green paper for leaves.  I think we jazzed them up with heart beads in the center and TONS of glitter.  It was a fun little project, inexpensive but didn't take so long that their little attention spans couldn't handle it.  Afterwards the kids got the idea to hide each one around the living room and make thier poor mom hunt around for them - but they all really enjoyed it!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Monday Makeover - The Braided Updo Tutorial
Straight Hair Without a Flat Iron
How to Do a Modern 1950s Poodle Hairstyle
Ashley Greene Goes Blonde
The Modern Chignon Tutorial
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...