A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 304,755
Currently Running With Scissors:
721 Guests and 31 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Turning spaghetti straps rightside out  (Read 1817 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

KrisML4
« on: February 08, 2007 09:21:21 AM »

Apparently I am spaghetti strap impared.  Undecided
I have a dress that I am currently working on that calls for thin straps that you sew wrong side out and then turn right side out using a needle and thread. The picture shows the needle passing through the tube and the fabric turning with it.
I've been trying to do this for days but it just will not work. Is there any other tip or trick that might help me turn the strap/tube?
Also, It is very thin- only about 1/4 of an inch wide.
Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sharonan
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2007 10:15:47 AM »

There are a number of ways to turn straps and some tools available too.  One way is to take a safety pin and attach it to one of the open ends and pass it down the channel - that way you have smething to hang onto as you push it through.  Another, is to take a large darning needle with a piece of strong thread or wool and take a stitch at one end to anchor it, then pass it through the channel.  The needle shouldn't be sharp or it will pierce the fabric.  I have taken a strong thread or light string and sewn it between the fabric and then sew the one end in.  Then I pull on the thread and it turns on itself.  You need to be sure that the thread or string is secure in the seam allowance before you start turning...nothing more frustrating than getting it half turned and having the string come off.  Another useful tool to use is a knitting needle or skewer from your kitchen.  Also - make sure that your seam is well trimmed - easier to turn if you have less seam allowance in the channel. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
catdaddytn
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2007 12:43:01 PM »

I totally and completely understand about being "turning" challenged.  It's so hard for me.  Good ideas mentioned.

I tried and tried to turn straps for a purse.  I finally took it to a class at Hancock's and shared my problem.  A sweet soul turned it for me.

Someone told me that straps sewn on one end are extra hard to turn.  If I have an end to be sewn and turned, I would now just leave it open and sew, after turning.

One of my purse patterns has straps that don't have to be turned.  I don't know how to describe it, but something like ... the pattern piece is about 3 times as wide as the strap ... put interfacing down the middle of the strap, then fold over both sides and then sew or something, like that. 

The seam shows, but it so much easier and much less likely to drive me CRAZY!

catdaddytn
THIS ROCKS   Logged

catdaddytn
KrisML4
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2007 02:14:15 PM »

Thanks so much! I will try these ideas and hope for the best.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
stacysews
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2007 05:39:35 PM »

I learned the coolest trick on turning spaghetti straps right side out!  I'm going to try to explain, I hope I explain it well.

Sew up your tube like you normally would - leave both sides of it open.  Fold down one end 1/2 inch or so.  Snip one corner diagonally and unfold the raw edge.  You should now have a hole in your tube.  Now take a bobby pin hook it on the tube and weave the end of the bobby pin through the hole.  Now pull the bobby pin through the tube.  Your fabric should be pulled inside itself!  It works great and has become my favorite method of turning straps. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sophisticated Hippie
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2007 01:39:26 AM »

You received some great responses.  If you find you are going to be doing a lot of spaghetti straps and want to purchase tools (I'm a tool freak) there are 2 I have that I use at various times.

One is called a bodkin.  It looks like a thin rod with a hook and latch on one end and a loop on the other (for your finger to grab and hold).  There is another type of bodkin that is sort of rough or ridged on one end instead of the hook and latch but I dont like it as well.  They may not be called bodkins anymore, may just be called tie turners or tube turners.

The other is called the FastTurn.  It is my favorite.  You can purchase them at JoAnn's and many other fabric stores.  The link below is to the Crowning Touch website.  They only show a combo pack which is a bit expensive.  You can get the tube turning tools in small sets at a reasonable price, especially if you use a 40% off coupon!

http://www.crowning-touch.com/xcart/product.php?productid=46&cat=1&page=1

They also have a foot to sew tubes or straps in the folded method mentioned by catdaddytn.

Happy sewing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. ~Benjamin Franklin
sharonan
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2007 09:55:51 AM »

Thank you Staceysews for the bobby pin suggestion!  You give great advice - this one tops the list.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
paroper
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2007 11:01:55 AM »

If you use a needle pass it through with the eye first.  It will help.  Be sure that you trim off the excess seam allowance.  Sometimes the seam allowance is too big to allow the turn. 

There is also a neat little wire that you can purchase.  It has a self-closing hook on the end with a loop on the other.  YOu just put it into the tube, hook the other end and pull it through.  The device will run 4-5 dollars.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Sansa

Please reinstall universe and reboot

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2007 07:14:43 PM »

I actually find it easier to turn them if one side is sewn shut. I bought a set of turners but I am told that bear and doll makers use "found" stuff like straws and skewers. You insert the straw or tube into the sewn fabric tube. Push the (blunt) skewer into the sewn shut end as though you are trying to push it into the straw. Sometimes it goes, sometimes the fabric pulls down over the skewer, depending on fabric thickness and tube width.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Bibhu Mohapatra Spring 2015 - NYFW - Backstage, Interviews & Runway
Nail Trend
Best Razors
5 Fall Must Haves with Natalie Off Duty
Beauty at NYFW SS 2015
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup
@Home This Weekend: Create a Spooky Yard
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: Featured Artist Katrina Polacek

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...