A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 296,583
Currently Running With Scissors:
665 Guests and 33 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: How to embroider faces for Amigurumi  (Read 2055 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

grashi
« on: February 07, 2007 03:26:50 PM »

Hi there,

I have been reading up a lot on Amigurumi and have already made a few stuffies, however, I have not found any resources on how exactly to embroider faces onto them.  Is there a specific way to do it so as to keep the floss taught and from coming loose?  I don't know how to embroider, but with regular fabric I'm sure I could pick it up quickly...but I imagine it is much different with the crochet stitches.  Any amigurumi/stuffed animal experts out there have any feedback on how they do it?

Thanks in advance Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Eliea
Tutorial Contributor

Proverbs 31:13 "She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands."

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2007 09:22:52 AM »

I use a plastic or metal embroidery needle and use my crochet stitches to help make sure the eyes are in the same place. The nice thing is the stitches form those rows so you can sort of pretend they are grids and line up your yarn or embroidery floss with those.
I'm no expert on ami-faces yet though having only made one. But I can tell you what I did.
I put my needle in the yarn and made a loop and then tied the end to the yarn. Then pulled really tight so the knot moved inside the crocheted part.  (if anyone has an easier way to do this let me know!)
If you haven't stuffed your toy yet you can tie a knot in one end and go from the inside of the toy out for your first stitch hiding your knot.
I use a Satin stitch for eyes and noses. It's pretty safe so long as the lines are short and you can't get a finger underneath. Otherwise some children will pull on the stitches and pull them out!

You can also sew on felt bits for eyes and facial features.

If it's for an older child or adult you can use buttons for eyes instead of embroidering.
HOpefully that helped a bit. If you need ideas for stitches and specific stitch tutorials try googling it. You can find anything on the net. Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Potato Chips Part 2/2
How to Make Hash Browns
How to Make Macadamia and Pistachio Encrusted Chicken Part 2/2
How to Make Macadamia and Pistachio Encrusted Chicken Part 1/2
How to Make Mayonnaise
Latest Blog Articles
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!
Spotlight on: Art Dolls
Meatless Monday: Texas Pecan Pesto

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...