A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 299,124
Currently Running With Scissors:
648 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Knifty Knitter scarf help?  (Read 1318 times)
Tags for this thread: knitting_loom  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Sariel
« on: February 06, 2007 07:51:43 PM »

My mother bought me the Knifty Knitter round-loom set for Christmas year before last, and a skein of yarn she wanted me to turn into a scarf for her. After a lot of delaying (I sew way more often than I knit), I finally managed to get it long enough, but now I've got a couple problems.

First and foremost, can anyone help me figure out how to end the scarf? It's done in the round, on the blue loom. She doesn't mind if I leave the end open or closed; I have a slight preference for open, but I don't want to take it off and lose my stitches or anything weird like that.

Secondly, when I started it, I didn't loop the yarn tightly enough around the pegs, so the beginning is really loose compared to the entire rest of the scarf. Does anyone know a way to fix that without starting over from scratch, or is Mom just going to have to deal with it and/or try to stretch the rest of the scarf to look consistant? Smiley

And lastly, this isn't as much of a question, but if anyone has good patterns for Knifty Knitter socks, fingerless gloves/armwarmers/wristwarmers, or anything else winter-y, and felt like sharing, I'd be really grateful. Smiley I bought a second skein of the scarf yarn because I didn't think one would be enough, so now I have most of it left over, and if I can do something else with it for Mom, I think she'd like it..

Thanks in advance!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I <3 plushies! If you like my designs, I'm up for discussing swaps or commissions. Smiley

my wists
knittinfiasco
A child of God

YHWH is my Daddy!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2007 08:02:09 PM »

check pinned topics.  I believe there's a loooong knifty knitter thread there.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sariel
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2007 08:15:06 PM »

. . . huh, searching on Knifty Knitter didn't pull that thread up, or else I just overlooked it. *blinks* Weird. Thank you, though! There's a link in there that has flat removal methods, which is what I need; theirs involve crochet hooks, but I think I might be able to fake it, or get over to a craft store and buy one. Smiley Now I just need to figure out what to do with the start . . .
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I <3 plushies! If you like my designs, I'm up for discussing swaps or commissions. Smiley

my wists
jloveg
Tutorial Contributor

GOD LOVES YOU AND SO DO I!!!

need me email me! jat42171@yahoo.com

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2007 08:21:08 PM »

you  could  start  where it  starts  getting  tight and  start  snugging  up  as  you go  back  toward the  loose  end then  you will have a  piece of  long  yarn  left  to  secure off at  that  end.....

and  I do  believe  knittinfiasco   meant  search   on here.... for the  thread on knifty knitter. there is a  long  help thread!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

looking for instant coffee from australia or russia made with mustard and champagne.  VIOLET CRUMBLES and VEGEMITE would be welcome swap items!!
Sariel
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2007 08:38:18 PM »

Re the thread: I mean, I searched for "knifty knitter" before posting, and I didn't find the thread linked off the stickied post. I found it once I actually looked at the stickied post, though. Smiley

I'm not sure I understand the other part of your comment? Do you mean unraveling part of the too-loose beginning and then . . . I'm not sure about the next step. *laughs* Just tug it tighter, or hook it back on the loom and knit backward, or . . . ?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

my wists
jloveg
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2007 08:41:20 PM »

using  your  needle  or  hook  pulling hte  yarn  tighter  and  moving  down and away  fromt eh good  end..so it  ttightens and  works  your  loose  yarn  off the  end  of the  "bad"  end.

Or  last  effort  unravail that  end  hook it  back on and  work that  part  again...but  if  you are  like me that  will be  last  possible  resort
THIS ROCKS   Logged

looking for instant coffee from australia or russia made with mustard and champagne.  VIOLET CRUMBLES and VEGEMITE would be welcome swap items!!
Sariel
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2007 08:43:19 PM »

Hmm, I think I get it. I'm going to bed soon, but I'll try your idea tomorrow and see how it goes. Smiley Thank you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

my wists
jloveg
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2007 08:52:43 PM »

no prob  good  luck.....  it is  very  time  consuming  but it  works.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sarush
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2007 07:47:44 PM »

i only know how to "knit" with the knifty knitter. and i can only make hats and scarfs. i guess i could find a tutorial to find out how to make gloves and socks but the one time i tried to make mittens, they were crazy funny looking. someday soon i'll try again.

but onto about how to end the scarf--first off, i use a rectangle knifty knitter loom for scarfs. i know you can use the round ones, just by not knitting all the way around, and turning back, etc. i tried that once and that is how a friend of mine made scarfs. her only complaint was that when you were done the scarf, it was kind of always curving in. i highly recommend the rectangle one. you can apparently make big squares with it and attach them together to make blankets and stuff (when making scarfs, you don't use all the pegs across, just half or less if you want a skinny scarf..and  unlike the round loom, there is no "front" and "back" sides made on the rectangle loom, i believe in the real knitting world, it means there is no "purl" side)

okay, now to really answer your question (am i long winded or what?!), i crochet the last row and the first row, just to make it more secure. now when i say "i crochet", i'm not sure if it's real crocheting or just what my friend showed me. when you're working on the end row, it's more difficult because you have to add each "hoop/loop" right off of the peg or else it gets unspun/un-togetherish (longwinded and i make up words, i am such a keeper). i make sure i start crocheting from the opposite end of where the end yarn piece is so i can tie it to the last crocheted part.

does that make any sense? i just finished a scarf a few minutes ago, i should have taken photos. let me know i didn't make any sense and i will take some (i plan on starting another scarf tonight).

good luck Smiley
« Last Edit: February 09, 2007 07:49:26 PM by sarush » THIS ROCKS   Logged

[ craft log ] [ wists ]

my job is sending me to training in the dc area from october to march. great for the career and social life but bad for the crafting.
Sariel
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2007 07:54:58 PM »

Actually, knitting a tube-scarf on the small blue round Knifty Knitter produces something that looks good and is incredibly warm, according to my mother. Smiley Some of that was probably the yarn, as she picked out a really fluffy fuzzy soft one (I don't remember the exact type), but since it's a tube, you're effectively getting two layers of scarf for the price of one.

The rest of your explanation is kind of confusing, I'm afraid. If you do take pictures, I'd love to see! Smiley I managed to do the "psuedo-crochet" ending I found online -- use a crochet hook (or your Knifty tool, very carefully) to pick up two loops, pull one through the other, pick up another loop, pull that through the leftover, pick up another loop, pull that through the leftover, etc until you're done -- but it looked a little off since the start was just a bunch of loops. (I'm going to post pictures in Completed Projects sooner or later.) So other endings are definitely welcome. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

my wists
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Candied Orange Peels
Inside the Raaka Chocolate Factory
How to Make Caramelised Bananas With Butterscotch Rum Sauce
How to Make Peanut Butter and Jelly Cupcakes
How to Make a Gooseberry and Elderflower Fool
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow
Tute Tuesday: Cross Stitched Sewing Box

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...