A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 296,583
Currently Running With Scissors:
587 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Japanese gum containers to jaunty spice bottles in 10 minutes flat  (Read 4758 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Faith
« on: February 06, 2007 12:50:17 PM »

I love japanese chewing gum -- my favorite kind is a hard coated, cola flavored variety that comes in the most adorable plastic containers. Since the packaging is so cute I decided to recycle them and make them into spice bottles. The bottom part is clear so it's easy to see what's in the bottles. And the top portion has a built in dispenser making it perfect for pouring spices for measuring.

The packaging is very tall and narrow, so these don't take up much space in the kitchen, which is a big bonus. Plus the bottom is flat so these will stand up on their own. Smiley

All I did was remove the product stickers, rinse out the containers and dry them completely then filled em with spices and snapped the lid back on. Oh, and printed out spice labels on the computer and stuck them on the back of the bottles.

Ta Da...the finished product from the front and back. And what the empty gum container looked like before being revamped:

How the spices look when displayed from the front:

And look how easy it is to get the spices out of the container when it's time to cook:

« Last Edit: June 18, 2010 01:13:44 PM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed a coding issue » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lipzilla
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2007 12:57:31 PM »

Japanese stuff is so darn cute!  That is a rockin' idea !!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
batgirl
Global Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Part Librarian, Part Superhero

Stop Pinning, Start Making.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2007 12:59:50 PM »

Those are so cute! You could easily construct a hanging rack for them to free up shelf space and add a cute & functional wall decoration.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Just added lots of new items! Use coupon code "craftster" for 10% off! http://www.LilyLovesBernie.etsy.com
 50 Things
Trillian42
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2007 01:01:14 PM »

OMG! I love those! I need some for my beads. Did you order that gum from somewhere, or did you find it at a market? I frequent several asian markets, but I have never seen that kind of gum. Course, I have never looked either...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
drakiame
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2007 01:23:49 PM »

I have a couple of those! They work great for beads, and hang perfectly on the sticky-up kind of pushpin. I have them hanging by my desk.

This was one of those times when I bought the candy just because of the container. The gum itself was pretty nasty.  Undecided

(( also, Trillian, I found them in my asian market, but I expect you could order them from someplace online too. ))
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Faith
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2007 02:03:12 PM »

OMG! I love those! I need some for my beads. Did you order that gum from somewhere, or did you find it at a market? I frequent several asian markets, but I have never seen that kind of gum. Course, I have never looked either...

I found them at a local market, however they are for sale online, too. I just did a search and found grape and cola flavors at asianfoodgrocer.com . They're the on the third row down. The packaging on these is a little different than the ones I have -- note the winking eye on the Puchi cola here, hee!

http://www.asianfoodgrocer.com/index.asp?PageAction=PRODSEARCH&txtSearch=gum&Page=2
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Trillian42
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2007 06:41:50 PM »

Thanks! I'm headed to the markets this weekend. If I can't find the gum there, I'll be making an order. So cute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
march
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2007 09:16:45 AM »

that's brilliant! I love it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Fun4Bambi
Scrumble Curious

Wanted for gluing googly eyes to other googly eyes

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2007 04:11:42 PM »

Fantastic! I gotta look for this product next time I go to the Asian mega-market.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rozekitten

Glue, buttons, and a wall. Hmmm...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2007 11:43:07 AM »

Those are so cool.  I've never seen them before.  It seems like it would be nice to have a pretty simple way to poor them out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Cheryl Cole Makeup Tutorial
Blac Chyna to Open Makeup Bar
Beauty Basics Trailer
Double Duty Makeup: Using Cream Blush for Pink Cheeks and Lips
How to Do a Smoky Eye
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Art Dolls
Meatless Monday: Texas Pecan Pesto
@Home This Weekend: Celebrate Your State

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...