A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,112
Currently Running With Scissors:
622 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I don't know, Mom, just stick your finger in and see if it feels good.  (Read 5914 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Aixbelle

You make them . . . they must go

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2009 09:18:26 PM »

I've gotten in trouble with the word "pants" since living in England.  To my mind they are trousers, but here in England they mean underwear, or panties.  I'm sure I am endlessly embarrassing friends by telling them I need new pants, or that I was working in the garden and got a hole in my pants.  lol

Not craft related, but I love this.  I had a Scottish boyfriend for awhile. So I went to visit him, and his friends were having this big long conversation about playing "torch" tag when they were kids and visiting some friends in the States once.  And I was like, isn't that dangerous?  And they said, well, I guess if you trip in a hole or something.  And I said, well, what if someone gets burned?  That sounds really unsafe!

My boyfriend looks at me and says "torch means flashlight."  (Not, apparently, large flaming sticks.)  Oh god, how moronic.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Imsleepy

Zurich, my service dog

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2009 09:33:05 PM »

Ok.. again, not craft related, but definitely related to the topic. 

I used to answer E911 calls at the state police barracks here in VT.  I worked the night shift, and generally knew by sight most of our night time troopers.  One night I was outside on a cigarette break, and there were a bunch of troopers that I had never seen, bringing things into the area that they stored things (evidence, mainly.)  Trying to be friendly, and commenting on the unusually large number of officers there, I said, "Looks like a party" to one of them.  He didn't respond, just gave me a look.  I shrugged it off, figuring he had a bad day.  When I went back upstairs, I told my boss what had happened.  After about 5 minutes, when she was able to breathe again and stop laughing, she told me that they had just had one of the biggest drug busts in years, and they were bringing in the equipment that the drug dealers used to grow the pot and process the drugs. 

Have I mentioned that I'm kinda naive? 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~If someone offers you a gift, and you decline to accept it, the other person still owns that gift. The same is true of insults and verbal attacks.
~We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart.
~Early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.  I'll take cheese over worms!
Le Mieux
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2009 08:49:25 AM »

Then he brought me a couple balls of yarn and he asked if it would be enough. I said no, for a willie warmer he'd need to grab one more. The look on the shop owner's face was priceless. That might have been because I think she thought I was his daughter, we get that a lot.  Roll Eyes

Cheesy  Cheesy  Cheesy

THIS ROCKS   Logged

People should not be afraid of their governments; governments should be afraid of their people

http://www.wists.com/harbles
http://miss-chlo.blogspot.com

UK Swap - sent!
Persephone Hazard
I'm not going to live my life on one side of an ampersand

That song was about me.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2009 12:19:51 PM »

I've gotten in trouble with the word "pants" since living in England.  To my mind they are trousers, but here in England they mean underwear, or panties.  I'm sure I am endlessly embarrassing friends by telling them I need new pants, or that I was working in the garden and got a hole in my pants.  lol

*That's* the thing you keep getting in trouble for? I still wince and recoil every time an American says 'fanny' before I remember...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

When she was good, she was very very good - but when she was bad she was fabulous.
Retromiad

I have to send it WHEN?!?

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2009 08:31:12 PM »

The word fanny has always meant to me what it means in the UK, I don't know why some people think it means behind.  It may be a regional thing, or it may be because I grew up overseas.  I've never actually said that word out loud.  I never will.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Persephone Hazard
I'm not going to live my life on one side of an ampersand

That song was about me.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2009 02:44:31 AM »

Really? It's always seemed to me to be a US-wide thing. Hmm. I wouldn't have any trouble with the discrepancy, only as it happens I really don't like the word at all - which is a great shame, as it's the most commonly used word for ladyparts here in the UK, much more common than any of the others! But oh, I hate it, and won't use it. Ugh.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

When she was good, she was very very good - but when she was bad she was fabulous.
LaughingLark
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2009 08:01:17 AM »

In Wisconsin, where I grew up at least, it was a quaint and old-fashioned way of saying "buttocks". Something an exasperated mom might say... "Get your "  " out of  bed and get ready for school." Until I got on the internet, I had know idea it was a vulgar word in the rest of the English-speaking world. I can't count all the times in the winters of my childhood that I was advised to be careful on the ice lest I fall on my...

Years ago, my hubby and I used---um---"waist packs" to keep change in at craft fairs. I first found out the British meaning of the word when I went online to buy some new ones...with the American name. Cheesy

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Daisy Lewellyn Talks About Never Pay Retail Again
Meet Author William Shatner
Andrew Clements Reveals Who He Admires Most
Sidney Kirkpatrick -- Revealed!
Jeff Rotter Talks About The Unknown Knowns
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...