A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 298,791
Currently Running With Scissors:
439 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: RIT dye on stretch Jeans?  (Read 2098 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

wealleatpasta
« on: February 05, 2007 06:38:40 PM »

I hope this is the right place for this question. If not please direct me elsewhere!

So I have this pair of skinny blue stretch jeans that are 96% cotton and 4% spandex. I like the fit a lot, but they are dark blue and I no longer like the color.

I've been wanting blackblack skinny jeans for a while so it makes sense that I should just dye my blue jeans black.

Is this possible? Would I just use regular RIT fabric to get them black?

Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sophisticated Hippie
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2007 02:04:27 AM »

Rit dye is great because its easy to use and easy to find.  The 2 problems you may run into is if you dont use it correctly & it only works on natural fibers.  The 4% spandex wont take the dye and you could end up with a splotchy dye job.  I suggest you check out Rit's website before you try dying your jeans.  I've done tons of stuff with Rit dye and its turned out great.  I always use the stovetop method.  Using the washing machine method has proved to be a waste of time for me.

There are other dyes available, I think I've seen posts about some from dharma trading but I've never checked them out.

Do your research first so you dont ruin your jeans or waste your money.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. ~Benjamin Franklin
wealleatpasta
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2007 06:33:35 AM »

Rit says it works on synthetic blends of at least 60% cotton, so 96% cotton should be fine hopefully.

Okay I will definitely try the stovetop. thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

megrenae
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2007 06:36:43 AM »

I made this mistake once, since you are going to be using a dark dye you need two boxes otherwise it will dye to some greyish purple color instead of black.  Just thought I would give you a heads up.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

wants to do personal swap...pm me
Miss Violaceous

Condones Flashing

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2007 06:43:35 AM »

I think if you're willing to work at it a while (maybe dying it twice) and will still be happy if it turns out like a dark navy or purplish-black instead of true black, you'll be okay. The spandex might be a problem, but it might just give it kind of a texture look when it stretches, so will you be happy with that? If you have any stretch denim scraps around you could do some tests, or if you want to turn these jeans into a skirt or shorts you could get some scraps that way to make sure it'll turn out the way you want it to look. But again, that's not necessary if you'll be happy with a wider range of results.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

wealleatpasta
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2007 06:49:09 AM »

I really will be happy with any result that gets my jeans blacker than they are blue.

The site says to use half a packet of brown on blue dyed things along with black to get them really black. Would this also help with the purple hue you mentioned?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

megrenae
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2007 08:05:45 PM »

I don't know about that I've never been to their site I'm just repeating what the box says, and I've only dye natural looking colors like white and cream and I used one box of dye, and the washer method, and they came out dark greyish purple.  And after I dyed the close and they weren't the exact color I wanted I finished reading the box and it suggested that for their darker colors to use two boxes of dye.  I guess it pays to read allof the instructions before you jump in head first.  Good luck though and let us know how it turns out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

wants to do personal swap...pm me
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Iron On Fabric and Rhinestone Letters
How to Design Iron On Transfers for T-shirts
How to Select Iron On Transfers for Fabrics
How to Use Iron On Stickers
How to Design and Print on Inkjet Transfer Papers
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Sherlock Matchbox
@Home This Weekend: Bottlecap Magnets
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...