A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 297,214
Currently Running With Scissors:
569 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Fabric stores of Colorado  (Read 1788 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

raining_dreams
« on: September 26, 2006 10:35:22 AM »

Anyone want to recommend one?
 If you have a favorite fabric/craft store, post it here. Maybe you could put in a small description of what is sold, price range, etc.
 I personally have never been to a great fabric store, and I would love to hear recommendations!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Street lights dance and street lights sing
Someone cut the oxygen and took a message to the king
Announcing that he wasn't royalty
blog
vegan food blog
craftypixie

opinions were like kittins, I was giving them away

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2006 11:04:12 AM »

well joann's is always a good start, except the one in Aurora which is a dump. And Joann's accepts competier (sp) coupons! I also like Denver Fabrics. And my very favorite but quite far away from me is Mill fabric outlet in Colorado Springs, it rules!!!!!! There  is one in Ft.Collins but it is not as big and doesn't have near the selection the Springs one does.

Hancocks is ok but I think their prices are a bit high for what tehy sell.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ptarmic wumpus
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

You are in room 2

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2006 12:04:13 PM »

The Joann in Boulder brings me nothing but frustration - they have a reasonable amount of fabric, but it is all junk. And expensive junk to boot. The Hancocks in Westminster is better, although still far from ideal; the Hancocks in Longmont is abysmal.

Denver Fabrics is nice, and gets extra bonus points for their decision to eliminate quilting stuff and focus on fashion fabrics. Yay them. Too bad they are a long drive for me, I order online from them more often than I visit the store. They have a better selection of nicer fabrics at cheaper prices than the chains. One of the cutters at Joann was actually complaining about how expensive DF was, and I just had to shut my mouth.

Elfriede's in Boulder has very nice fabrics, mostly high end suitings, shirtings, and silks. Not cheap, but the price is fair for the quality. Not for people on any kind of budget though.

The Boulder Humane society thrift store in particular gets in nice fabrics at good prices. They actually tend to have a lot of crafty stuff - I saw a whole big box of baskety supplies once, and bought a big bag of mohair  and alpaca roving. The Savers in Boulder has a lot of patterns, mostly 70s and 80s stuff, and grab bags of random fabrics, and sometimes baggies of buttons presumably from clothes they weren't going to sell.

Otherwise, I am spoiled from having lived near G-Street (a mega fabric store) for a long time, and more recently near some jobbers out of NYC, so I tend to want relatively high end fabrics at dirt cheap prices. Hence, I mostly shop online.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

laminathegreat
Queen of the Universe

Is not here.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2006 02:05:39 PM »

Where is this  Boulder Humane society thrift store you speak of? I must go find it.....
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ptarmic wumpus
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

You are in room 2

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2006 02:39:11 PM »

The Humane thrift shop is smallish, but has a pretty high turnover rate in the craft section. Fabrics are in a wire shelving unit near the book section - they aren't dirt cheap, but I've seen metallic silk organza for $1/yd and bought some nice wool herringbone for ~$3/yd. It is on Arapahoe a few blocks east of Foothills. There is a Hospice thrift store in the shopping center next door, at the basement level, that is larger and has good prices on clothes (most things are $2 and they frequently have sales for $1).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ultconsumer
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2007 11:53:33 PM »

Thanks for posting the info on the Humane Society thrift shop.  I didn't know there was one in Boulder.  I've been to the one in Longmont, but I don't remember there being any fabric.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Debra
I would be interested in doing personal swaps.
ISO:  skulls, skeletons, pirate stuff.
IHA or can make:  Waldorf doll making supplies, diaper making supplies, altoid tins, stuffies like ugly dolls, wool roving/needle felting

I have a wist, I have a wist!! 
www.wists.com/ultconsumer
balkandina

Junk+funk+glue=Art

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2007 11:47:02 AM »

I know this is a kinda old thread, but Mill Fabric Outlet in Colorado Springs really is great. The people who work there are either super nice or super not-nice, though. Be sure to check their bargain area.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"People sometimes reproach me with having neither genius nor talent nor deep feeling, but I have a will of my own"Isadora Duncan
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Watch This Instead Review of The Last Airbender
Learn Premiere Pro CS5 Users Interface
What a Grip Does on a Film Set
How to Key in Premiere Pro CS5
What Split Edits Are
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Molded Hot Glue
More Amazing Matchboxes
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Spice Latte

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...