A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 297,487
Currently Running With Scissors:
328 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Homemade Taggie--Take 2!  (Read 1202 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Jessiesmudge
« on: January 03, 2008 01:15:06 PM »

I made another taggie!  This time it's for one of my students who is having a girl (she's due on the 8th).  I just hope this one is girly enough.  I found this embellished fleece at Joanns and figured it'd be good for a girl.  I was going to use the butterfly with a green background, but discovered after I washed the fabric that part was coming unstitched.  I didn't have the right thread to fix it so just decided to use the butter fly with the blue background.  Check it out!

And with the back showing.

The perfectionist in me really wants to straighten out a couple of the tags that are crooked.  Not exactly sure how that happened when I sewed it.  But I'm making myself leave it.  I need to start writing some lesson plans since my winter break is almost over !!  Sad  I could use some more time!

My first post on the taggies can be found at
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=216908.0
THIS ROCKS   Logged
k8thagr8
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2008 02:08:57 PM »

SUPER cute!!  what is the size on it?  if i'm making out the numbers on the cutting mat correctly, it looks like it's roughly 10" square.  is that right?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

what WOULD willie do?
Jessiesmudge
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2008 02:33:51 PM »

This one was based on the size of the panel that I bought at Joanns.  The other one I made, I cut the squares at 13"  I was giving myself about 1/2 inch seam allowances.  However, I don't think I took them.  My idea was to do a finished size of 12" square.  I only bought 3/8 yard widths of fabric for the first taggie and the width of one panel on this one.

My one piece of advice is to pin a lot!  I pinned ever single tag.  Also to make sure that the tags were really secure I sewed about 1/4 inch from the edge.  You can kind of see it in the picture.  I suppose that the next one I make I could take pictures of it so I can show it being made....I don't know if that will happen anytime soon.  It's pretty easy to figure out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
zenochka
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2008 06:31:06 PM »

that is really cute! I love taggie blankets Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

employed = hardly any time to sew :-(
k8thagr8
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2008 06:47:48 PM »

well I think it's great!  i'm knitting my girlfriend (who is about to POP with her first baby) a blanket right now, but as soon as I get some free time (yeah right!!), i want to make one of these blankets for her.  I guess I expected them to be bigger....like 3 or so feet square.  no?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

what WOULD willie do?
Llola
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2008 10:18:32 PM »

That is so nice!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jessiesmudge
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2008 09:39:36 PM »

well I think it's great!  i'm knitting my girlfriend (who is about to POP with her first baby) a blanket right now, but as soon as I get some free time (yeah right!!), i want to make one of these blankets for her.  I guess I expected them to be bigger....like 3 or so feet square.  no?

I think you could make them as big as you want.  I decided to make these ones small because I don't have a lot of time to make them, and I didn't have a lot of money to spend on them.    I would think that if you make them bigger you might want to quilt/sew the two layers of fleece together so they don't shift apart too much.  Especially since baby blankets tend to be washed a ton!  Just a thought! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
k8thagr8
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2008 12:09:08 AM »

well i think yours are great!  my sister-in-law has made a few of those fleece blankets where you "fringe" and tie the edges and i definitely think she should have "quilted" the two pieces together, like you said.  i love that yours are smaller and they will definitely give those babies something fun and just-their-size to play with.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

what WOULD willie do?
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Elegant Chicken Salad Sandwich Recipe
Grilled T-Bone Beef Steak Recipe
Celebration Veggie Relish Tray Recipe
Lemon Thyme Boneless Pork Chops Recipe
Pecan Crusted Oven Broiled Chicken Breasts Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!
Winner of Craft Challenge #102 - Swap & Share 3

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...