A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 300,875
Currently Running With Scissors:
488 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Crafting for Groups?  (Read 1479 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

mllejessy
« on: February 05, 2007 07:42:52 AM »

I've noticed there are a bunch of us who are children's and/or teen librarians, or teachers, or who run Sunday schools, youth groups, etc. 
We're always looking for good crafts to do with groups of kids; I think most of us post under miscellaneous.
Wouldn't it be awesome if we had a place to talk about good group craft projects?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

danger0usangel03
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2007 10:38:03 AM »

i think it would be a great idea!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Rie

Just being Rie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2007 01:46:16 PM »

I second that! Great idea!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Not everything is a success story but it's still a learning experience.

www.ariecrafts.blog spot.com
www.justbeingrie.bl ogspot.com
gothmom
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2007 04:48:02 PM »

I could get into this too - -I am so against cookie cutter crafts - we're bound to come up with some really creative ideas...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rikoshay
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2007 05:40:04 PM »

I've got a group of 8 five and six year old girl scouts who are anxiously awaiting the answers on this one.  I thought that I was going to be a fantastically crafty troop leader and so far we have done a whole lot of coloring and drawing, but no really fun crafting.  They all want to do the fuse bead thing and they like the foamie craft kits, but anyone can open a box and read the directions. I just want to do some things that they haven't done before and that they will be excited about them.

I was thinking little stuffies, but I worry about them sewing and poking themselves and crying and such.  They tend to be little drama queens and I don't want a ton of whining!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mllejessy
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2007 09:40:29 AM »

rikoshay, what about a diy version of those make-a-teddy kits that come with felt cut into shapes with holes already in them, and yarn needles?

Some programs I've tried/am trying with teens:
beaded rings
ATCs
crochet 2parter--basics one month, amigurumi the next
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mave

do-dee-do-do-dee-do-dodododo

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2007 11:08:07 AM »

rikoshay - i know where you are coming from.  i teach 4-5 yr olds and we just don't have enough adults to share some crafts safely.

it's true that with some things, anyone could just open the box and read the directions, but sadly for a lot of kids they don't have access to these things at all.

i bet you would be surprised at some of the 'common' crafts (printing, junk modelling etc) that your kids haven't experienced.  have fun!   Grin

sorry to go on!  i think that such a board would be great!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

my (very short!) wist http://www.wists.com/MaveH
rikoshay
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2007 09:10:43 AM »

Ooh!  The precut sewing things might work!  We are a girl scout daisies group, so I keep aiming my projects towards daisies and flowers.  Maybe I can cut petals and leaves in advance and then we can work on them in the meetings!

My problem is also cost-based.  Most of the girls in this group are quite well-off and have no problem with expensive crafts ("Let's just go to the paint-your-own pottery place.  It's only $25 an afternoon!"), but a couple of them aren't!

I think that we are going to do a couple of the more traditional things (print-making, etc.) as a part of a unit about community where we make cards for nursing homes and thank you cards for police, fire, etc.

If the flowers work out, I will definitely post what we did. I have all of the spring break to work out the kinks, so cross your fingers for me!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hoxierice

Who knew tailoring was so much fun?

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2007 06:21:39 PM »

It has been a while since I had to come up with group crafts, but yes what a good idea. Several years ago...like 5 I guess I had my kids make wetfelted balls, I bet the other camp groups never did things like that!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Goodbye Tucson! I will miss how everything dried so quickly!
danger0usangel03
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2007 09:26:43 AM »

Ooh!  The precut sewing things might work!  We are a girl scout daisies group, so I keep aiming my projects towards daisies and flowers.  Maybe I can cut petals and leaves in advance and then we can work on them in the meetings!

My problem is also cost-based.  Most of the girls in this group are quite well-off and have no problem with expensive crafts ("Let's just go to the paint-your-own pottery place.  It's only $25 an afternoon!"), but a couple of them aren't!

I think that we are going to do a couple of the more traditional things (print-making, etc.) as a part of a unit about community where we make cards for nursing homes and thank you cards for police, fire, etc.

If the flowers work out, I will definitely post what we did. I have all of the spring break to work out the kinks, so cross your fingers for me!

I work with brownies and daises. My dasies love to do diaramas (spelling?) lol
they use all sorts of things they can find in the closet or are given to us. My girls arnt as lucky as urs thou, my troop works with girls that come from low income familes, mostly families from other countries.
http://danger0usangel1.livejournal.com/17040.html#cutid1
i have some pictures of craftyness the young ones did with a bunch of supplies that lovely ladies from livejournal kindly donated to us! ^_^
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet a Puff Stitch Part 5/5
How to Crochet a Puff Stitch Part 2/5
How to Crochet a Pineapple Part 2/12
How to Crochet a Puff Stitch Part 4/5
How to Crochet a Pineapple Part 4/12
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight On: Stamping
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Jose Romussi
Tute Tuesday: Imprinting on Concrete

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...