A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 302,578
Currently Running With Scissors:
696 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: amazing...my first time using freezer paper and I love it! [TUTORIAL ADDED!!!]  (Read 95460 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial , stencil , freezer_paper  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

t0xicity
« on: October 15, 2004 11:16:19 AM »

I absolutly love how well freezer paper works over contact paper!  
I honestly don't know where these stencils came from so if I'm ripping anyone off, please let me know!

This shirt was made for my boyfriend's little sister who is infatuated with Good Charolette, so she loves it!
Front:

** Edit to remove image link that wasn't working ***

Yeah the paint was still a little wet, so it's a bit shiny.
back:

And I made this one for myself, there's a little bit of bleeding, but I'm still satisfied with the way it turned out.  Ignore the boob shot...

Shocked

[edit]

Sorry it took me so long to get this tutorial made...I've been quite busy...I hope I explain it well, I tried to make it as newbie-friendly as I could, because I don't know how experienced everyone here is.

First, you're going to need these materials:
your stencil, freezer paper, whatever you're going to be stenciling on, whatever kind of paint you will be using, exacto knife, a piece of cardboard, tape, iron,

1. Print your stencil out on regular computer paper.

2. Tape your stencil to a piece of freezer paper WITH THE PAPER SIDE UP AND THE SHINY SIDE DOWN!!!!!!  Then before you begin to cut the stencil out, be sure to put it over a piece of cardboard.

3. Begin cutting out the black parts of the stencil and peeling back the parts you cut out.

4. Once you cut out the whole stencil, take the paper off the freezer paper and, if needed, clean up any spots that aren't cut very well.

5. Take your shirt, bag, or whatever you're stenciling on, and iron it to make sure it's not wrinkled when you stencil it, it can cause complications.  Once you've ironed your fabric, place your stencil on top of the fabric where you want it to show up and iron the stencil on SHINY SIDE DOWN.  Make sure your iron is set on a DRY setting!  Go over it once, and if you think it's necessary, wait for it to cool, and iron over it again.  If you have bridges on your stencil, sometimes it's easier if you just VERY carefully cut them out once you've ironed the stencil on, rather than filling them in after you peel the stencil off, it's much cleaner.

7. I use acrylic paint with fabric medium mixed together, but it doesn't really matter what kind of paint you want to use.

8. Put cardboard underneath your fabric to prevent seeping, and begin to dab the paint on with a sponge.  Make sure to dab and not brush to prevent bleeding.  Make sure to make your first coat THIN!

9. Once you paint your first layer on, if you think it needs another, either wait for it to dry ALL the way, or use a blow dryer to speed up the process, then continue painting on THIN layers until you have enough.  

10.  After you're done painting, peel the stencil off, and it would be best to heat set it.  Make sure it's completely dry by blowdrying it.  Then either iron it INSIDE OUT or put it on low in the dryer.

I hope that all made sense, if you have any questions, just ask!  Smiley

**Edit done by knitting_nyxxie Stenciling Moderator 02/23/06**
« Last Edit: May 12, 2010 03:38:34 PM by jungrrl » THIS ROCKS   Logged
noelle
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2004 11:31:46 AM »

i LOVE your war shirt!
that's awesome.  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pinkkittypiper
Bead Junkie

Can't cut a straight line to save my life...

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2004 02:11:41 PM »

For those of us with no clue - what is freezer paper?

Great job on those stencils by the way.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Where the wild things are is where I am most at home!
Wanna do a personal swap? PM me!!!
My wists: http://www.wists.com/pinkkittypiper
t0xicity
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2004 07:00:15 PM »

Thanks so much!

For those of us with no clue - what is freezer paper?

Great job on those stencils by the way.

Freezer paper is basically this stuff that is like wax paper, but it's only waxy on one side.  The other side is just like regular paper.  So you just cut out the stencil on the paper side and iron the wax side to the shirt, and you get these amazingly crisp lines, nothing like contact paper or any of that bs.  And it's really cheap I got like 75 sq ft for like $4.  It's definately worth trying if you're not satisfied with the way your stencils come out!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
littleone1098

Let them eat cake she said

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2004 08:53:14 PM »

And..where might one find this.....freezer paper you speak of?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Every morning when I wake up I experince an exquisite joythe joy of being Salvador Daland I ask myself in rapture, What wonderful things this Salvador Dal is going to accomplish today?" -The one and only
JakeHazelip
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2004 12:14:45 PM »

Okay, I can dig the freezer paper thing, but I'm not following one thing.  How do you get the stencil from the printer onto the freezer paper?  I'm sure the answer is simple, but it's just not coming to me...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
geedownie
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2004 12:31:54 PM »

that's a FANTASTIC idea.

I'd imagine you'd print out the stencil and put the freezer paper on top and cut them out that way. I wish that this was posted a few weeks ago... Now I'll have to redo my Ganesh stencil Cheesy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
scrappygirl085
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2004 12:42:18 PM »

Does the paper side go well thru the printer?  I've watched enough Carol Duvall to know that after cutting out the stencil, the wax side gets ironed to the fabric so it's very easy to paint the stencil and then the freezer paper just peels right off. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
t0xicity
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2004 09:30:19 AM »

Well, I buy freezer paper from the grocery store, right where all the foil and ziplock bags and things are. 

And to answer the other question, I don't bother with putting it through the printer, I just print it on regular paper then tape it onto the freezer paper, it works fine for me!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
JakeHazelip
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2004 02:22:14 PM »

Cool.  I figured it was simple, I just couldn't quite grok it.

Thanks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Brandon Mull Reveals His Favorite Motto and Movie
Monica Holloway Talks About Cowboy and Wills
Bestselling Author Pam Jenoff Talks About Almost Home
Learn More About the Book So Stressed
Meet Novelist Chris Cleave
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...