A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 304,872
Currently Running With Scissors:
655 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Capelet knitalong . . .  (Read 3980 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Mayviss
« on: October 15, 2004 09:53:38 AM »

Well, I'd never even considered it, but after seeing tofuthief's post on capelet desgns, I am capelet-obsessed!!!  I am going to, with the assistance of Melidomi's suggestions and wisdom attempt to make the button capelet which was in that post.

I'm just a beginner, but feel I can handle this.  I just have to get through this workday, stop by the yarn store, and get bundled in for what is going to be a rainy weekend here.

Who wants to join?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tofuthief
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2004 06:45:53 PM »

I wish I could join you, but the combination of law school + the job search + Red Sox come-from-behind victories has left me with no time for knitting.  But I'll keep checking this thread and help out when I can, and maybe I will join you during my winter break.  Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
stikgirl
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2004 06:47:48 AM »

I guess I should join but I am almost finished my capelet.  Just working on the neckline now.  I will try to post some pics this weekend.

I made up a pattern after finding a lace stitch that I liked.

Michelle
Toronto, Canada
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Sexie_Leopard
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2004 11:40:29 AM »

I'll join, i saw that post about the capelets, and i think i founded my own pattern.  So i'm gonna start it tomorrow (sunday).  Wish me luck that i don't screw it up...lol.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
veronique
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2004 08:50:48 AM »

There's a beautiful capelet pattern in the new Stitch n' Bitch Nation book, called the spiderweb capelet.  I've already made one, and it took me just one evening!  It's knit on size 15 (15!) needles and is very lacey.  And it only takes one skein of yarn.  Unfortunately, the pattern called for 2 skeins, but I exchanged the extra one, got a different color, and now I have a great gift idea.  (I thought it was a typo and emailed Debbie Stoller, but she said the designer used just over one skein). 
Anyhow, since I am knitting a 2nd capelet, I'm part of this knit-along! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
peachass

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2004 03:56:59 PM »

hi! i designed the spiderweb capelet in stitch 'n bitch nation. i use only one skein for the capelet, but it's so close that i was afraid that others might need a little bit extra (if their tension was a bit looser, or if you wanted to make the capelet longer or something...), and it would suck to run out of yarn when you're so close to finishing a project! so i recommended purchasing 1+ skein. anyway, glad you like the pattern, i'll check back here to answer any questions people may have about it.
-erin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

veronique
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2004 12:39:40 PM »

Hi Peachass!  Great design!  So I ended up making 2 capelets, one in cranberry and one in coffee.  (With the leftover yarn I made a crochet trim and a crocheted flower for a hat.)  After proudly showing off my skills to family members at Thanksgiving, 2 aunts would not let go of these capelets.  Fortunately, they did not fight as one preferred red and the other brown.  Goodbye capelets, I loved you so! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ultraviolet
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2004 09:44:55 AM »

Peachass, the pic on your site of the spiderweb capelet looks so different than the pic in Stitch N Bitch! Did they use a different yarn? Yours looks truly spiderwebby - I love it! I've actually been looking for something like this. Must. Make. This. Capelet.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://blog.threegoodrats.com

"Beware the lustful fires that burn in a librarian's heart. They can rage beyond all control."
peachass

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2004 06:47:16 PM »

yeah, the capelet on my site right now is  a different yarn...can't remember what yarn right now, it's a kid mohair...merino frappe is a little bit more lofty than it is. but the merino frappe is more substantial...it's what i'd use for a more wintery capelet. you can really use any lightweight fuzzy-ish yarn! i'm so glad people are making this, keep the photos coming!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

elspethm
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2004 07:38:41 AM »

I love your fishnet capelet even better! It's too bad that one wasn't in the book, then I might buy it!

yeah, the capelet on my site right now is  a different yarn...can't remember what yarn right now, it's a kid mohair...merino frappe is a little bit more lofty than it is. but the merino frappe is more substantial...it's what i'd use for a more wintery capelet. you can really use any lightweight fuzzy-ish yarn! i'm so glad people are making this, keep the photos coming!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
peachass

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2004 09:21:36 AM »

the fishnet one is crocheted. it's super-easy. just rows and rows of chain stitches!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

knittinkitten
50's housewife with a tongue piercing

A girl can never have too many scarves...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2005 10:20:46 AM »

I tried to start this last night but I got kinda frustrated.  In row 3 (I think) where you're supposed to drop the stitch off the needles, the stitches ended up unraveling all the way to the very bottom of the project and it became really loopy at the bottom, which I didn't think was right since it doesn't look like that in the picture.  Help?

Also, at the part when you're supposed to knit 1 without dropping it off needle, does that mean that you keep the stitch on the left needle after you've knitted it and procede to do the yarn over?

Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kelly
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2005 11:02:08 AM »

I tried to start this last night but I got kinda frustrated.  In row 3 (I think) where you're supposed to drop the stitch off the needles, the stitches ended up unraveling all the way to the very bottom of the project and it became really loopy at the bottom, which I didn't think was right since it doesn't look like that in the picture.  Help?

Also, at the part when you're supposed to knit 1 without dropping it off needle, does that mean that you keep the stitch on the left needle after you've knitted it and procede to do the yarn over?

Thanks!

I just finished knitting this, and as I was doing the row after the yo, I realized I had forgotten to yo a couple of times.  If you forget to yo, that means instead of  k1, yo1, k1, yo1.... your pattern is k1,k1,yo1,k1,yo1..... so when you are dropping stitches on the next row, you will drop the knit stitches instead of the yos.  Even though I tried to be more careful to do all my yos, I still looked st each stitch before I dropped it (you can tell the difference between a yo and a knit by looking at it).

To answer your 2nd question, this was the first thing I ever made with a pattern, so I'm not sure if I did it right, but what I did was to keep the stitch on the left needle and procede to yo and then purl, etc.  but, I ended up with the next row having a lot more than 92 stitches.  Is that right?  I didnt think it was, so I k2tog enough times on the next row to bring it back to 92.  eventually, I just did that step, except I alternated between k1,p1,k1 and k1,p1 for that step (I didnt do as many things as it told me to).  does anyone know if thats right?

sorry, I dont have the book in front of me, so i hope I got everything right, and I hope that helps.  good luck!  i will post pictures of mine soon.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

knittinkitten

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2005 11:51:44 AM »

I just finished knitting this, and as I was doing the row after the yo, I realized I had forgotten to yo a couple of times.  If you forget to yo, that means instead of  k1, yo1, k1, yo1.... your pattern is k1,k1,yo1,k1,yo1..... so when you are dropping stitches on the next row, you will drop the knit stitches instead of the yos.  Even though I tried to be more careful to do all my yos, I still looked st each stitch before I dropped it (you can tell the difference between a yo and a knit by looking at it).

So basically I should be dropping the yo's I made?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

veronique
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2005 03:09:26 PM »

You girls should check out another thread: Knitting-Projects from Stitch 'n Bitch- Spiderweb Capelet.  There was *much* discussion about row 4 and dropping YOs.  And the designer, Peachass (hee! great name!), cleared it all up for us. 
Here's my advice:
-be very careful to drop YOs and *not* real stitches (don't give yourself a heart attack)
-the number of stitches per row is constant (92? 94? I can't remember)
-when you're increasing in one stitch (K1, don't drop, YO, P1, don't drop etc...), what you're really doing is [k1, don't drop, bring yarn to front, p1, don't drop, bring yarn to back] twice. It's just like when you're knitting ribbing: after a purl and just before a knit st, you bring the yarn from the front to the back; after a knit st and just before a purl, you bring the yarn from the back to the front. 
Anyway, read the other thread, mull it over, and voila!  I should become clear. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
knittinkitten

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2005 04:52:48 PM »

Silly me!  I didn't even think to look over there  Roll Eyes  Thank you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

knittR

hi, i'm jennie, and I'm a craftaholic.

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2005 04:33:43 PM »

I'm totally in! I have been frogging and re-frogging the SNBN Spiderweb Capelet- not because of the pattern, because after the bajillionth time i figured that out- the yarn I'm using- Paton's Divine is coming out too thick. I like the light thin drapey feel of peachass's one! This will be fun!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.amoebicjewelry.etsy.com jewelry
www.bitsiebrand.com whimsies
www.littlebeadshop.com semi precious gemstone beads and cabochons
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Assembling Supplies for Plein Air Painting
How to Draw Bamboo with Watercolor
How to Create Snow with Watercolor
How to Create Realistic Tree Trunks in Watercolor Painting
How to Create Bricks with Watercolor
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Easy Tile Coasters
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...