A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 296,688
Currently Running With Scissors:
766 Guests and 34 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Moving Pictures in Existing Posts over to Craftster  (Read 7235 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

leah
Global Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

formerly "the craftster admin" - viva craftster!

View Profile WWW
« on: October 15, 2004 08:32:17 AM »

One of the major reasons why I added Picture Hosting to Craftster is that many web hosts try to limit the amount of bandwidth you use and this translates to a bunch of images not showing up on Craftster.

So in addition to uploading picture for new posts, some of you may want to re-upload the images that go with your old posts and then edit that post so that the URL points to the Craftster-hosted images instead.

Just trying to keep all the kick-ass content viewable as much as possible!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Want to support Craftster? Find out about becoming a Friend of Craftster!

{ craftastic.com | leahkramer.com | helloadorable.com }
indiaromeo
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2004 12:57:31 PM »

One question about the lovely and fancy picture hosting feature - are there any rules about whether or not it's ok to link to pics we store here from other sites? For example, if we post about a completed project here, and post a picture of it here (and host it here, of course), is it okay to link to that pic from our personal webpage? I'm sure that, inevitably, it's going to happen anyway, but what's the "official" position on hotlinking and borrowing bandwidth and all that good stuff?

Ooh, ooh, and last but not least: Thank you thank you thank you for all the new goodies! They're fabulous!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lovely things for lovely people: www.indiaromeo.com
Because MALL is a four-letter word: www.thehandmademark et.com
Handcrafted adornments for body & home: www.thehandmaidens. com
leah
Global Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2004 02:04:30 PM »

One question about the lovely and fancy picture hosting feature - are there any rules about whether or not it's ok to link to pics we store here from other sites? For example, if we post about a completed project here, and post a picture of it here (and host it here, of course), is it okay to link to that pic from our personal webpage? I'm sure that, inevitably, it's going to happen anyway, but what's the "official" position on hotlinking and borrowing bandwidth and all that good stuff?

Ooh, ooh, and last but not least: Thank you thank you thank you for all the new goodies! They're fabulous!

Good question.  There's a server setting turned on that says any pictures hosted on craftster.org can only appear on craftster.org.  So you literally cannot hotlink to the pictures you host here.

I did this because I didn't want Craftster's bandwidth to be eaten up by non-Craftster usage.  And I think that this will help ensure that people don't use this space for non-Craftster stuff.

Anyone wanna guess how much bandwidth Craftster uses last month?  And bear in mind that September was before the Picture Hosting was added. I bet you'll be totally shocked!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

GoTo
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2005 12:18:49 AM »

Good question.  There's a server setting turned on that says any pictures hosted on craftster.org can only appear on craftster.org.  So you literally cannot hotlink to the pictures you host here.

Totally reasonable.  Can I do that for my website?  or is it something fancy that some ol' hag like me can't do?  I had some fool use one of my photos of an original work on her site as a repeated background image.  If only she'd stolen it out-right I'd have never known...  (Unfortunately for her, I changed the image into something both visually and verbally vulgar since there was no way to contact her and my appeals to her free web hosting service went unacknowledged.  And yes, I changed the name of the original image, and the link to it on my website so the nasty photo didn't show up on my website.)

Anyone wanna guess how much bandwidth Craftster uses last month?  And bear in mind that September was before the Picture Hosting was added. I bet you'll be totally shocked!

Shock me please!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Glass Coaster Kits--make your own pressed flower coasters: http://gotogreatpanes.com/none.html
Jewelry Supplies--including Plastic Earring Hooks & Posts: http://gotogreatpanes.com/supplies
Special Effects Hair Dye (SFX):  http://gotogreatpanes.com/giftsforgoths/sfx
leah
Global Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2005 05:42:32 AM »

Ya know... I'm not sure if that's a readily available option for just any website.  Craftster is so busy that it has to have it's own server all to itself.  So I have lots of control.  You should ask your webhosting company.  I can't believe that someone not only had the audacity to steal your artwork but that she hotlinked to it!

At present Craftster uses about 400 GB of bandwidth/month!  Crazy, huh?

And actually the picture hosting doesn't have all that much to do with it.  It's all the text flying back and forth.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I Eat Art
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2005 02:12:05 PM »

(Unfortunately for her, I changed the image into something both visually and verbally vulgar since there was no way to contact her and my appeals to her free web hosting service went unacknowledged.  And yes, I changed the name of the original image, and the link to it on my website so the nasty photo didn't show up on my website.)

I had the same thing happen to me! A girl whose page was all about how hardcore she was did it. So I changed it to say "I heart the olsen twins"
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.dadahaus.com
Fun and Funky Jewelry, Crafting Tips, and more
http://www.indiecraftshows.com
Find indie craft shows in your area!
GoTo
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2005 03:32:34 PM »

At present Craftster uses about 400 GB of bandwidth/month!  Crazy, huh?
Wow!  We are busy!!

...So I changed it to say "I heart the olsen twins"

Verrrry nice!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Glass Coaster Kits--make your own pressed flower coasters: http://gotogreatpanes.com/none.html
Jewelry Supplies--including Plastic Earring Hooks & Posts: http://gotogreatpanes.com/supplies
Special Effects Hair Dye (SFX):  http://gotogreatpanes.com/giftsforgoths/sfx
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Scattered Sushi
How to Garnish Your Sushi Rolls
Asian Vegetables with Soy Sauce Gravy Recipe
Sirloin Steak and Asparagus Stir Fry Recipe
Ramen Noodle Stir-Fry
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...