A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 301,544
Currently Running With Scissors:
724 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: How do I Unravel a Sweater?  (Read 5400 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Mayviss
« on: October 15, 2004 06:29:43 AM »

Seems like a silly question, but if I buy a thrift store sweater to recycle the yarn, how do I do this?  Where do you begin?  Any tips are appreciated!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
melidomi
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

knit like the wind!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2004 07:19:29 AM »

http://www.thekittyzoo.com/recycledyarn.html
There's a complete tutorial.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tisramay
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2004 07:22:40 AM »

I personally haven't done this, but just saw an episode of Knitty Gritty on the DIY channel that outlined the basics.  I guess one of the most important things is choosing the correct sweater to begin with.  Make sure that it isn't cut at the seams or you will end up with strips of yarn rather than one long continuous piece.  Also, you want a sweater that hasn't become slightly "felted" by washing or wear- you won't be able to separate it out.  From there, you snip out the seaming and begin to unravel.  They reccomended a salad spinner to wick away moisture after washing the yarn and hung it weighted from a hanger to pull all of the crimping out of the fiber.  I am really anxious to try it.  It seems like I have come across a few posts here at Craftster regarding successful recycling of yarn.  A bit of effort, but with the cost of some yarns...well worth it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
subloke
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2004 12:24:34 PM »

I had been secretly doing this for a few years.  I say secretly because most of the people I know make fun of most of my crafty endeavours until the see the finished product and then they all want one (the spoon wind chimes, the felted sweater handbags etc).  Also secretly because some of the sweaters I recycled were given to me by my mom, who means well but really doesn't understand what I might wear!  I had a couple of frustrating attempts to recycle sweaters that were NOT knit from one continuous strand, ie they were knit, cut and seamed as opposed to those sweaters which are knit with a selvedge stitch and seamed.  Anyway, since finding Craftster I'm much more open about my bizarre thought processes which usually involve the thought "I could make X out of that". 

Word of caution, otherwise known as "I got so frustrated I gave up".  I found this great Fair Isle patterned sweater at Salvation Army the other day.  It had such great fall colors but the pattern was kind of cheesy.  I had great plans to take it home and separate it out and knit bags to felt (100% wool!!).  I started and discovered that whoever hand-knit it had knotted all the ends when they joined new colors.  Also, the yarn was not all the same weight (a little weird!) and some of the strands were not worth working with.  Anyway, I now plan to just felt the pieces and use it in some future project.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

if you can't be a good example then you'll just have to be a horrible warning.

http://yesimadethat.blogspot.com
Mojo
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2004 02:10:00 PM »

Here's another picture tutorial posted awhile back by a Craftster:
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=5062.0
THIS ROCKS   Logged

greenchick

Enough to make a pearl

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2004 02:54:33 PM »

The link that Melidomi posted is awesome. I used it a while back to unravel a sweater and got about eight larges balls of bulky weight yarn that I otherwise wouldn't have bought, but for $2.50, how could I go wrong. A word to the wise: no matter how lucious that mohair sweater looks, don't buy it as you won't be able to unravel it without a huge fight!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

neverendingjourney
I have gone to find myself, if I get back before I return please tell me to wait. Thank you!

If a cow laughed, would milk come out her nose?

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2005 02:10:33 PM »

Again, i can only take credit for finding this wonderful link. But i just thought it was a great tut!! had to share
http://www.neauveau.com/recycledyarn.html

Let me know what you think??
darla
THIS ROCKS   Logged

May the fleas of a thousand camels infest the crotch of the person who screws up your day & may their arms be too short to scratch
storybook_farm
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2005 07:23:07 AM »

I bought a beautiful Irish sweater at the thrift yesterday for the wool--it's 90% merino, 10% polyamide, and had been slightly felted--the stitches were still distinct, but when I was unraveling I had to tug to separate the yarn.

The yarn has a really interesting texture--as you can see from the pic--it struck me that this would be fun to experiment with--felting deliberately to achieve different effects.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
FluffyMonkey
i feel my fate in what i cannot fear

The creative mind plays with what it loves

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2005 07:34:31 AM »

how do you find all these great sweaters at thrift stores? my thrift stores must SUCK. everything i've ever found was a hideous color, way too small of yarn (practically thread), bad yarn (such as acrylic that I can buy at walmart), or badly worn out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"There are two kinds of strengths: the strength to lead, and the strength to follow; the strength to control, and the strength to yield. There are two kinds of power: the power to strip another's soul bare, and the power to stand naked."
~Yaldah Tovah

On Ravelry! Look me up; there I'm baela.
storybook_farm
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2005 08:06:27 AM »

fluffymonkey--yes, I am very lucky with my thrift--in fact when I think about moving, I can't bear to not be able to visit it every few days!

It's a church run thrift--small, and I live in a very rich area--so people just have so much stuff that they haul huge piles of new or perfectly good crap to the thrift shop.  And there are also lots of old ladies in town so when they move on there's great old stuff, too.

My advice is to hunt up thrifts in rich neighborhoods or tag or rummage sales for the high quality stuff.  If you are in a city look for the charity shops--they are more expensive than sally army, but worth it, usually.  If you are in the middle of nowhere--that's tough--make a road trip a few times a year with a friend to where the good stuff is.

Zoe
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Curl Long Hair With a Flat Iron
How to Do a Long Hair Updo
How to Curl Long Hair With a Curling Iron
How to Style Long Hair With Pierre Michel Salon
Accessory Trend: Hair Jewels
Latest Blog Articles
Crafty Kitchen
Meatless Monday: TVP Jerky
@Home This Weekend: Mirror Wall

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...