A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 305,900
Currently Running With Scissors:
391 Guests and 0 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Twisting yarn?  (Read 3067 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

zeeblebee
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2007 02:25:57 AM »

building on djinnj's points, knitting from one direction of the ball will twist it tighter, while knitting from the other will untwist it. Which depends on the way the skein was wound, but when you knit a swatch it might be worth seeing if the way it twists is the way you prefer. I prefer to have a slight untwist to an overtwist, just because I don't like having curlies. I'm thankful I have never used a yarn that misbehaved so badly!  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
djinnj
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2007 03:00:56 AM »

knitting from one direction of the ball will twist it tighter, while knitting from the other will untwist it.

This doesn't actually work.  If you look at twist, it's symmetrical regardless of which direction you're approaching from.  However, the nap from spinning may hold up better in one direction than the other when working with the yarn so there might be some small improvement.  Also, working the yarn from the outside of the ball even if it's a pull skein (although it will go the wrong way for the nap, which may be an issue, at which point I'd suggest re-winding the ball) will allow the ball itself frequent movement which can introduce self-correction of some of the twisting issues by absorbing it into the rolling of the ball. 
« Last Edit: January 26, 2007 03:06:21 AM by djinnj » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Safetyfox
Neither safe, nor a fox.

Im in yr grden, drinkin yr beerz

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2007 03:10:35 AM »

I get this problem with plied yarns but not with singles. I usually stop every few rows, hold the ball, stand up and let the project dangle. It'll spin til the yarn's all untwisted. This works with small projects like socks but I'd hesitate to try it with a jumper Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wait a minute, where's me jumper? On Ravelry of course.

Infrequently updated blog: safetyfox.blogspot.com
soozeq
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2007 07:04:57 AM »

Untwisting the yarn like that can work with larger projects too. Or it may be easier to secure the yarn still in the skein and let it spin instead.

sue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
BlooCanoe

Pit knitters unite!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2007 10:14:09 AM »

I've only ever had this problem with recycled sari silk, but the twist was so severe and it was SO aggravating that I just stopped working on the project.  Angry
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Have you hugged your mod today? Smiley

"What I need.... is some wool." (Miss Marple)
lelila
geek.

nerd love.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2007 05:53:24 PM »

Yeah, I have that happen all the time, and since I'm an ADD knitter and only ever work on small projects, I just dangle it and let it unwind, like someone else said.  Homespun sure is the devil to work with, but it's just so soft and cozy!  I personally think it's worth the trouble.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Will private swap for handspun yarn!

My wists.

KER+ Exp+ SPM+(+) Bam++@ Syn+@ Wool+(+)@ Stash++ Scale- Fin--  Ent+ Tex++ Lace++ Int-@ Flat++ Circ+(-) DPN+ !Swatch-- FO+ WIP++ W+@ ALTSw(++)
pamelamama
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2007 05:59:59 PM »

When this happens, take a dpn (or whatever kind of pokey thing you have handy) and stab it through the ball of yarn so it can't unwind. Trap the working yarn under the dpn.   Then let the ball of yarn dangle and untwist itself.  The when it's untwisted enough, pull out the needle and go back to your work.   Get me? 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

eatyerhartout
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2007 09:17:56 PM »

hm...I've had this happen, but not to the extent that it has with some of you. I wonder why? I always just thought it was the way the yarn and skein were made.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I like to do personal swaps now and again.

I knit, crochet, and make stitch markers.

Just pm me if you wanna swap. Smiley
redwitch
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2007 07:36:28 AM »

Um, guys, if it's twisting, just twist it back the other way, not the ball itself. I always assumed it was because as I feed the wool between my fingers under slight pressure, I untwist it a little, and the twist goes into the wool between my fingers and the ball. Whatever causes it, just twist it in the other direction (to do this, I change my grip to English style, actually holding it between my finger and thumb, and twist: so that my thumb goes up while my second finger moves down. Then I knit it. Don't let the twist get that bad before you fix it: and when it is bad, don't twist it over and over tightly within a few stitches, as they'll show. Just do a slight twist for longer. If you've let it get that bad, it may take quite a few stitches to fix, but if you keep on top of it, a couple of stitches every few rows should be the most you need to do.

Sarah

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

How-To Videos
How to Resize a Selection in Paint.NET
How to Resize a Title in Title Designer in Premiere CS3
How to Resize the Stage in Flash CS3
How to Save a Selection in Photoshop CS3
How to Save a Workspace Setup in InDesign CS3
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Painted Patriotic Table
Craft Challenge #114 - Pick It and Craft It!
Craftster Quickies: How to Make Paper Stars

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...