A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 296,702
Currently Running With Scissors:
709 Guests and 33 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: 1000 Paper cranes in memory of Sadako.  (Read 3806 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Amie.v
« on: February 03, 2007 04:42:56 PM »

Most of you would know the story of Sadako, if you don’t ill tell you it.
On August 6th 1984 an atomic bomb was dropped on Hiroshima in Japan. Sadako wasn’t near were the bomb dropped but 9 years later when she was 11 she became dizzy and fell to the ground during a practice for a big race, she was later diagnosed with Leukaemia, which was at the time called the Atomic Bomb disease. Sadako’s best friend told her an old Japanese legend which said anyone who folds 1000 paper cranes would be granted a wish and Sadako’s best friend handed Sadako paper and scissors. She started to work on the paper cranes and completed over 1000 before dying on October 25, 1955 at the age of twelve. Sadako never gave up hope. Her friends who were inspired set out to tell the world her story of courage and hope. Sadako’s friends and classmates put together a book of her letters and published it, hoping to raise enough money to build a statue dedicated to Sadako and all the children who were killed by the bomb. In 1958 a statue of Sadako holding a golden crane was unveiled in Hiroshima’s peace park. The children also made a wish that was inscribed down the bottom of the statue which read “ This is our cry, This is our Prayer, Peace in the world.” As we speak many people fold paper cranes and send them to Sadako’s monument in Hiroshima. I thought we could fold paper cranes, making as many as we could each until we reach 1000, in dedication to Sadako. I would like to thank http://www.sadako.org/sadakostory.htm for the pictures used and http://www.sadako.org/foldingcranes.htm for the instructions on how to make the cranes. So everybody please grab your construction paper and your scissors and make a crane.
People who have made a crane;
« Last Edit: February 03, 2007 05:33:29 PM by Amie.v » THIS ROCKS   Logged
summer_lover
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2007 09:23:19 AM »

hello....

i actually started making paper cranes halfway through January...i think i started it to distract me from my exams and keep my stress levels low....i think it worked Smiley so far i have made 100+ they're really easy Smiley I'm going to try and reach 1000 but then i don't really know what to do with them, i would like to take them to Japan but i dont know when then would happen, I heard people leave them at the Sadako statue...? what will you be doing with yours?

sl x
THIS ROCKS   Logged

VISIT www.myspace.com/morsbags OR www.morsbags.com for more information on helping rid the world of plastic shopping bags - make your own environmentally friendly bag!
Camellia_Ruth
Hypnotised

Fuelling obsession that borders psychosis

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2007 04:30:54 PM »

I think there is a way that they want you to do it to send them in..

To send a thousand cranes to the Children's Monument in Hiroshima's Peace Park, string them on garlands of 100 cranes each, and mail

I'm not sure what this would look like, but maybe we could make the cranes and send them to someone here that can string them in garlands and then send them in. I'd love to see the photo of 100 cranes stringed together from crafters.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

You came in from the darkness and held the door open wide
You stood there like a vision before my unbelieving eyes
I believe in what I see and also what I hear
But did the night play tricks on me or were you really there.
summer_lover
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2007 09:28:40 AM »

i think it would be cool Smiley how big are you planning on doing the cranes? i've been doing mine 6 x 6 cm....they seem to be a good size Smiley

sl Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

VISIT www.myspace.com/morsbags OR www.morsbags.com for more information on helping rid the world of plastic shopping bags - make your own environmentally friendly bag!
summer_lover
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2007 07:21:41 AM »

ok so i found this picture of the cranes at the Sadako statue....so I think this maybe what they mean by garlands......

they look so pretty, but when i pictured them in my head, they were more spaced out, so you could see each individual crane, do you think they wouldn't let you do that because it takes up too much space?

sl x
THIS ROCKS   Logged

thecoffindontwantme
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2007 08:14:13 AM »

i already have about a hundred done, but does anyone actually know how to string them together  Huh
THIS ROCKS   Logged

summer_lover
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2007 09:08:32 AM »

i think maybe you tie a knot, then thread it through the hole at the bottom and poke it through the middle of the body then tie another knot...but that's just a guess...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

thecoffindontwantme
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2007 02:30:04 PM »

oh ok, i see what you mean.
that sounds like a pretty easy way to do it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MarjorieCrochets
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2007 02:57:04 PM »

I love this idea. I decorated an apartment we lived in with garlands of cranes, and the way I strung them together is I used nylon thread and beads as spacers. I tied a knot around each bead to hold it in place, and to seperate the cranes. I have a photo around here somewhere to show what they look like when you do that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
summer_lover
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2007 07:01:30 AM »

ooooh that would be great if you could get a picture Smiley

sl x
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Cook Turkey - Fix my Recipe
How to Make Thanksgiving Stuffing - Fix my Recipe
How to Make Fresh Cranberry Sauce - Fix my Recipe
How to Make Mashed Potatoes
How to Make Cajun Rice Dressing
Latest Blog Articles
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...