A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 296,760
Currently Running With Scissors:
510 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: knitting a wool-pattern hat, but with cotton yarn?  (Read 384 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

arabella
« on: February 03, 2007 12:19:58 AM »

how does this work, exactly?  I know from reading other posts here that cotton doesn't have as much stretch as wool, so I assume this will affect the pattern somehow, but how?  what do I do to correct for it?  should I just find a pattern for stretchy rib stitch and hope for the best?  what about an acrylic pattern?  or does it really not matter...

I want to make my wool-allergic bff a hat for her birthday, i got the Blue Sky organic cotton, but I'm worried the gauge will be all messed up or something...

thanks in advance!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
djinnj
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2007 12:27:56 AM »

Cotton doesn't behave the same.  It has no memory, so even if you work it in what is considered an elastic stitch, it won't hug the shape.  So ribbing will relax and sag.  You will need to make the hat with considerable negative ease in order to fit (and you should swatch to see how much it stretches).  The yarn may or may not be suitable for the pattern, it depends entirely on the type of hat and the desired fit. Generally, I'd pick a different yarn, something 50/50 cotton/acrylic for example.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
arabella
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2007 12:43:24 AM »

that is really helpful, thank you.  maybe I'll have to make a scarf instead.... though i'll never finish that before her birthday.

stupid question because I'm a beginner - what exactly do I do once I've knit a gauge swatch?  do I compare it to a wool gauge swatch and then make some adjustments?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
djinnj
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2007 12:47:12 AM »

Wash and block the swatch, treat it as you plan to treat the finished item.  It's your test run of the fabric and it will show you how it behaves.  Adjust based on that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
arabella
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2007 12:47:19 AM »

would you believe, 2 seconds later, I just happen to click on the blog in someone's sig, and what does she have posted, but the perfect hat pattern, in cotton!!!

http://jaydeedub.blogspot.com/2007/01/traviest.html

I'm saved!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
New Orleans Style Stuffed Bell Peppers
Surf and Turf
How to Make Roasted Potatoes
How to Cook Fresh Green Beans
How to Cook Pork Tenderloin
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Quick and Easy Organizer
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...