A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 297,206
Currently Running With Scissors:
471 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Crackled Marbles  (Read 2371 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

tchrluv89
« on: September 09, 2004 03:58:25 PM »

I was looking through my little trinkets and I found a glass crackled marble.  My great aunt used to make them , but my mom doesn't remember how she did them.  I was told they were baked, but at Michael's they called them "Fried Marbles". So, I was wondering if anyone knew instructions on how to make them
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lothruin
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I eat seakittens.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2004 07:07:30 PM »

Though certain people on this board who specialize in the making and selling of "fried marble" jewelry may hate me for this, here's a very informative link on the subject. It appears to be on a child-age science website.  Perhaps I should have heard of Joey Green before, but no.  In any case, here you go.  Looks easy enough, and I bet the marbles you can buy by the bag at craft stores (for flower arranging, etc.) would work well.

http://www.wackyuses.com/experiments/friedmarbles.htm
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find craft patterns, supplies and humor at Lothruin.com!

Find me on Ravelry as Lothruin!
tchrluv89
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2004 12:03:09 PM »

thanks
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lutheranchick
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2004 10:29:01 AM »

I truly had no idea you could make fried marbles at home.  Craftster rocks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

When in doubt, sauerkraut.
SheezCraftee

I will change my mind on something petty as a whim

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2004 01:13:31 PM »

I literally just got done trying fried marbles for the first time, and I got a question.  I could only find a small frying pan, so I had to split my bag of marbles(flat marbles) into thirds and do them in 3 separate groups.  The first group came out great and was the most crackily.  The second group wasn't as crackily, but still cool looking.  The third group was hardly crackily at all, and some in that group looked to have cracks only in the bottoms(the flat part).  The only thing I could think of is that maybe I got more excited as I went and I didn't let the other 2 groups heat up as much before I tumped them into the ice water.  My question is:  The marbles are still pretty cold right now, but when that get back to room temp....   Can I refry the ones I'm not too happy with???  ...Or is it a one time only try as they might crackle to bits??  I had 2 marbles in the first batch that crackled to pieces. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sissychick_101
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2007 01:45:34 PM »

Wink I have been making fried marbles necklaces for two years now. I make mine a little different then what I have seen on here so far. I glue a cap on mine and put them on a sterling silver chain. I sell tons of these at crafts shows. I use a cast iron skillet to fry mine. Sometimes I get impatient the first go around and didnt let them heat up enough. I have fried mine twice but beware  you do run the risk of the marble cracking in half or having a piece or two break off. I tap them on the counter to make sure they wont break easily before i sell them. Good luck!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bagheera
D 僆!

I reject your reality and substitute my own.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2007 02:28:07 PM »

Sissychick_101, that's what I'm planning to do to mine! Cheesy (Gluing the cap on them, that is.)

I finished a batch of them, so now I have about 60 in a bowl ready to use!!! Grin I'm totally pumped!
I put them in a pie pan, and put them in the microwave oven (preheated to 450) for about 20 minutes for the first batch. There was some stuff on the bottom of the microwave oven from the baking that had just been finished, which I didn't notice... Smoke alarm went off and I decided to take them out earlier than the 30 minutes I was planning.

The second batch, which had a bunch more, I put in for 40 minutes. They turned out even better, and I love them! It might also be because the water was a lot colder. I dumped two buckets of snow into the water so it was very icy cold. The first, I'd just put ice cubes in. Hm.

None of them cracked in bits, exploded or any of that crazy stuff. I loved watching them sizzle into the snow water and I watched the cracks appear and all that... It was crazy! Grin

(Very excited about this project here!)
Abby
P.S. If there's any things that don't make sense, please forgive me... I think I was too close to the plastic I was melting earlier... Us crazy Craftsters, LOL! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Obsessed with Death Note as I am? Clickies and show your support for a swap! Grin
---
As I lay back, looking at the stars, I began to wonder...
Where the heck did my roof go???
littlestellarbeam

I will live in kindness.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2007 10:16:04 AM »

How long would you leave them in a frying pan...or in the oven?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jezebel7383
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2007 10:47:52 AM »

At school we just put them on a spoon, heated it with a lighter, and then dropped them into cold water.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sissychick_101
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2007 10:25:56 AM »

I use a cast iron pan and they take a little longer to heat up then other pans, so i let the pan itself get very hot. I add my marbles then I just guess, i think its about 15 min. (sorry 6 people in the house i loose track of time) If you have your water ready you can just take one out and check to see if it is the way u want. I also should mention i have a lid on my pan as well. Thats just "in case", u never know. I fix my water before i even start frying, i just use a bowl with tons of ice and put in freezer while I'm frying the marbles.

I had a very hard time finding glue that would hold up against metal and glass that wouldn't run all over the marble. I have used many different types and just was wondering if anyone had a favorite glue for metal to glass.

I also am having a hard time finding affordable SSilver chains in bulk for a reasonable price. My chain connection went out of biz (guess they where to cheap). I have about 50 left but i will need more before the next years craft festival's.
Thanks Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Brad Thor Discusses the Last Patriot
The Hollow Trilogy Book Trailer
Author Isabel Gillies Discusses Her Memoir Happens Every Day
Sneak Peek at Very Valentine by Adriana Trigiani
Tips from Lauren Luke: Becoming a Makeup Artist
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Spice Latte
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...