A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,102
Currently Running With Scissors:
422 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: anyone with patterns to knit flat?  (Read 1921 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

pendulous threads
« on: February 02, 2007 11:20:01 AM »

so i think i'm a more advanced beginner, or a ambitious beginning knitter.  i have size 5, 10.5, and 13 needles, but i'm really sick of making scarves! i don't think i'm advanced enough for a sweater or any type of clothing yet. does anyone have any patterns for something more exciting than a scarf that i can knit flat? thanks so much!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

on a burning bridge, your options are minimal at best depending on where you're standing and how much breath is in your chest. if it came down to it,would you high-tail home and hide or dance on fire and enjoy the ride?
meg2101
Wand-Totin' Browncoat Ninja

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2007 11:38:42 AM »

I know just how you feel! I'm at about the same level as you and I have no patience to even finish scarves, but I find circular needles and that sort of thing a little daunting.

There's a really easy pattern for a hat that's knit flat in the free patterns section of knittinghelp.com, and all you need to know is how to purl and knit two stitches together. Once you know how to make it, there's all sorts of options that you can do with it. I knit this hat using that pattern.

Bags, headbands, wraps, shrugs, a lot of those can be knit with just two needles. Smiley
« Last Edit: February 02, 2007 11:42:43 AM by meg2101 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

|| Wist | Flickr | Icon by me ||
StitchLikeABoy
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2007 02:16:26 PM »

Knit and Tonic's Dream Swatch is fun. I am making bracelet/cuffs out of it for people.

http://www.knitandtonic.typepad.com/dreamswatchwrap.pdf

Or... you can take a vacation from flatland and do what I just did and buy some double points and try to learn how to knit in the round. Once you get the hang of it, it's fun!
« Last Edit: February 02, 2007 02:34:12 PM by StitchLikeABoy » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Conley
I Poke You With Sticks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2007 03:54:58 PM »

Knitty's Calorimetry:
http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEwinter06/PATTcalorimetry.html

You may or may not have issue with the size it turns out with the Cast On it says... check this Craftster Knit Along with all sorts of ideas and fixes
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=138243.0
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Blog    http://stephieface.wordpress.com
Ravelry    http://www.ravelry.com/people/Stephieface

2/18/12 - I no longer have the directions for wrapped pens, I lost them several years ago. To obtain them for yourself, do like I did, contact DMC threads directly and ask for them.
tamagotchi
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2007 04:19:42 PM »

I'd just make the jump to using circulars.  If you knit something that doesn't require a lot of shaping it's not difficult at all.  In fact, when I started knitting in the round I remember thinking, "this is way too easy...I should have done something harder".  Try some tube-shaped projects, like a neckwarmer or legwarmers.

Personally, I hate knitting scarves.  They are one of my least favorite things to knit because they take so damn long and are really boring.

Another alternative might be to try a different technique, but still doing flat knitting.  Like trying out some neat stitch patterns.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ravelry username = tamagotchi
lane
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2007 04:44:22 PM »

http://www.bevscountrycottage.com/the-mitts.html

Try those mittens! They were my first non-scarf FO. I made them on size 6 needles, though the pattern said 8 (gauge, what gauge?), and though I knit ridiculously tightly, they were still big for my hands. So your sz 5 needles might work.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
arabella
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2007 12:16:42 AM »

I was just where you are about a week ago, then I took a deep breath and picked up the circs... I love it!  I've already finished two hats!   here is a picture of my first one.  this was also my first time decreasing...  I made a whole hat on Monday!  (I was traveling, so I was knitting like crazy on the plane, then finished at night).  I seriously love love love working with circs.   maybe you could do something like this cowl scarf thing?  or this one?  (that way you could avoid dpns which are slightly fiddly.  but circs are fabulous!!!)

and here is a pic of my hat... only my 3rd (?) FO and my first circular knitting... believe me if I can do it, anyone can!  you can see it's not perfect...

THIS ROCKS   Logged
WitchCatXeen

life's a joke, so make fun of it!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2007 02:31:52 AM »

Holy moly arabella! that's an awesome hat! And you did CABLES? I've yet to do cables! Could you pleease share a link to the pattern you used for that? Or did you make it up?

threads - I'm with everyone on the cirs thing.  You could so easily make a basic hat on, say a size 8 or 9 circ, with cheapo yarn.  My first hat, I used a circ that went around my head nicely, started knitting in the round, got a short tube, tested to see if it would close over my head, cast off, then ran a yarn through my cast off edge to  gather it, and viola!

I'd avoid dpns if I were you, though.  Sure, most patterns for knitting in the round go by that, but it is sooo much nicer to use 2 cirs.  I'm working on cleaves right now using 2 cirs, and its so easy to just set your work down, and not worry about finding your place again, you can shove it into your purse and go, etc. 

In fact, I love cirs so much, I'm going to GET RID OF all my straight needles.  I can't stand them anymore and I never use them.  And I don't knit very many different things, so its not like I'm doing anything fancy... usually I just knit scarves and a basic hat here and there, you you can more than handle cirs. (walmart is selling them right now)

THIS ROCKS   Logged

neekie

gauge schmauge.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2007 02:32:44 AM »

You can always convert patterns knit in the round to be knit flat then seamed up, like hats and stuff. Good seaming and finishing is an important skill and whatnot but in my opinion circular needles >>>> seaming.  Smiley they are not difficult to use at all, and you can still use them like straight needles for back and forth projects. Especially big projects, circs are great for notmakingyourwrists hurtholdingupthenee dles.

Just make sure that you invest in a good one, made out of the kind of material you LIKE (if you hate straight needles that are metal, don't buy metal circulars duh!), and if the cord is plastic, to straighten it out just hold the needles and run the cord under hot water/dip just the cord part in boiling water for a short while/hold it over steam/use a hot hairdryer. Cos nobody told me that the cord could get straightened when i first bought circulars and i knit with curly and kinky cords for awhile. Oh and i bought some cheapie metal circs with bad joins (don't do that).

Also DPNs aren't things to be afraid of either, they're just a little fiddly and take more getting used to (like trying not to poke yourself in the eye while knitting. circs don't do that. see? another reason to pick them up!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Conley
I Poke You With Sticks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2007 05:19:25 AM »

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this or not (its early) but you can  also knit flat on circulars- you don't just have to knit in the round. You could knit one of the flat projects that are linked in this thread on circulars to get used to handling them.
You can also do as arabella and just jump right in. I learned how to knit in the round on DPNs before I could I purl.
Don't be afraid of knitting in the round either. Unless you have a really snazzy pattern involving lace or cables, its all just the knit stitch
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Blog    http://stephieface.wordpress.com
Ravelry    http://www.ravelry.com/people/Stephieface

2/18/12 - I no longer have the directions for wrapped pens, I lost them several years ago. To obtain them for yourself, do like I did, contact DMC threads directly and ask for them.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw Various Comic Figures
How to Draw Abe Lincoln
How to Pour Acrylic Paint
JohnK Explains Cartoon Construction Pt. 2
JohnK Explains Cartoon Construction Pt. 1
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...