A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News: Craftster Best of 2014 have been announced!  Check out the winning projects here!
Total Members: 309,064
Currently Running With Scissors:
637 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Need dye recommendations for silk  (Read 927 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Gwydion
« on: February 02, 2007 07:20:11 AM »

I have about 5 yards of silk noile left.  I love the fabric, but light turquoise just isn't my color.  (It was marked down to $0.88/yard, so I guess it wasn't anybody else's color either)

I dyed a yard of the stuff deep purple and green with food coloring and vinegar to make some scarves, and that turned out well.  However, I want to make a skirt and suit jacket out of the rest of the silk, and I'd prefer to have it a dark grey--and I can't figure out how to get dark grey with food coloring.

Can anyone recommend a nice reliable dye for silk, preferably one that doesn't require heat setting?  Also, is there a color REMOVER that is safe for silk?  I cringe at the thought of using bleach on this fabric.

Or should I just go and have it professionally dyed? 

THIS ROCKS   Logged
nattynoodles
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2007 08:46:45 PM »

the best advice i can give you is to get a book on whatever type of dyeing suits you best.
also, check out http://www.dharmatrading.com. they have all kinds of stuff for dye work. browse around and see what dyes fit your needs best! good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
patchworkarmy

Goin where the water tastes like wine...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2007 03:37:09 AM »

I've also been looking for a good way to get a grey color on wool instead of silk, but there's nothing out there!  I've got black dye, but it's too blue-black when diluted to the intensity I want. I have found one website that was some help.
here:
"Are you trying to get black?

It is generally agreed that the best dye to use to make black on silk, wool, or nylon is the Lanaset Black. There is no concern about color shifts, and the black produced is very rich and dark. Fiber reactive dyes tend to be smaller molecules, producing brighter colors, and may be less effective at producing a very dark color."
That's what it says, anyway. Was reading about how you can use pricion mx dyes on wool!  pretty cool. but use the lanset black instead I guess...
url is here:
http://www.pburch.net/dyeing/reactivedyesprotein.shtml

ps-let me know if you get some or figure out a recipe that works!  I want grey and pink roving!  I"m close, but I'll let you know if I get there, too! =0)

ps- although since you're wanting to dye silk, you CAN use the procion MX dyes the COLD way, and probably get an accurate black color. fyi I think.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Edit a Digital Photograph
How to Make a Living as a Photographer
How to Post-Process Digital Images
Sebastian Copeland on Sex and Photography
Long Exposure Photography with Sparkler Fireworks
Latest Blog Articles
April 17, 2015 Featured Projects
@Home This Weekend: Upcycled Mini-Cabinet
Laundry Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...