A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 297,454
Currently Running With Scissors:
374 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: 'Barbie' is ready for winter!  (Read 1093 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

artteacher
« on: February 02, 2007 06:59:05 AM »

I knitted a winter hat w/ a snazzy pompom for one of my friend's daughter's Barbie doll.. and since it was for BARBIE.. I figured that she would also need a purse to match. 

However, I didn't realize that I actually had my childhood Barbie stuffed in a box in the closet-- UNTIL AFTER I finished the purse and hat.. *It would have made 'knitting' it much easier.. since .. I totally 'winged' the knitted items.

AND.. I was happy to find that they did fit!  *The knit sweater on Barbie was a Christmas ornament sweater that I knit when I first learned how to knit many years ago- and discovered that it fit BARBIE and she's had it on since... at least she was dressed warmly while she was hidden away in a box in the back of the closet!

close up photo added- the hat was knitted about an inch above the 2 row k1,p1 ribbing and then I did a decrease every 4 stitches, k one row, then 1 dec every 3 st, then 1 dec every 2 rows until I had about 6 stitches.. then, I did an I-cord and decreased a stitch every row of the i-cord and it slowly tapers to a point.. (when I cast off the final 2 stitch i-cord) After I did the final 'cast off' of the 2 stitch i-cord.. I did a crochet chain for about 4 stitches... left a short string and used it to tie the pom pom on.. so, it swings real cute while on Barbie's head. 

I still have some of the clothes that my mom made for my Barbie-- and the ones that I made.. you know the ones.. a sock top w/ holes cut out for arms??  Hey, it was cute.. roll down the top and you had a collar!  Cheesy   I wasn't fortunate to know anyone to knit or crochet items for my Barbie- but, I've made many for children that I've known since I've known how to knit.  I really like to make soft fluffy sweaters out of the cheap fuzzy angora looking acrylic. 
« Last Edit: February 03, 2007 01:04:38 AM by artteacher » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I've got a brand new blog:  *I'm one with the masses now!

*Life and adventues of an American living overseas who finds time to knit every now and then.
http://iwouldratherbeknitting.blogspot.com/
Smurfette

lemonlimedesign.etsy.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2007 11:03:27 AM »

hey great job on the outfit! It's soooo cute! I had to do a double take when I saw the vintage Barbie  Shocked I buy and sell antiques etc. for a living.You are very lucky to still have your toys from childhood  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

faith is the substance of things hoped for the evidence of things not yet seen

http://lemonlimedesign.etsy.com
Lillatopia
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2007 03:11:12 PM »

Smiley  I love the purse!  Great combo... My barbie is jealous!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
artteacher
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2007 03:25:36 PM »

Thanks!!  I might have to make a set for my Barbie, she is a little jealous too.   Wink

Well, I had to laugh a little smurfette.. I was the oldest (and several years older) of 4 children and it is a wonder they my Barbie did survive the 'younger sibling destruction' that happened with almost everything else that I owned.  I don't have a KEN.. my mom wouldn't buy me a 'boy' doll!   Shocked

However, she was 'out of that old-fashioned' notion.. later.. because my younger sister was given a KEN.   So, my poor Barbie only got to have 'dates' with my friend's Ken doll.. when we'd play with the dolls at her house.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I've got a brand new blog:  *I'm one with the masses now!

*Life and adventues of an American living overseas who finds time to knit every now and then.
http://iwouldratherbeknitting.blogspot.com/
kimski
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2007 06:07:34 PM »

That hat is fantastic. I love the dangling pom pom.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
R3n331
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2007 10:38:35 PM »

Great Job
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CraftyLittleDevil
Mostly harmless

the tooth fairy is a mountain devil

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2007 10:49:22 PM »

That's awesome, and brings back childhood memories of when my aunty used to knit and sew all these clothes for my Barbies and other toys.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Knit Newborn Baby Mittens with a Loom Part 20/35
How to Knit Newborn Baby Mittens with a Loom Part 24/35
How to Knit Newborn Baby Mittens with a Loom Part 19/35
How to Knit Newborn Baby Mittens with a Loom Part 2/35
How to Knit Newborn Baby Mittens with a Loom Part 22/35
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche
@Home This Weekend: Buzy Bee Activity Chart
Craft Challenge #103 Announced - Foodie Frenzy 2

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...