A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 302,606
Currently Running With Scissors:
508 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: "Ribbed for her pleasure" scarf  (Read 10452 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

karahtalia
Queen of Unfinished Projects

Dangerous Kittyboy aka The Knitting Guineapig

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: December 13, 2004 09:43:01 AM »

Wee, ok.... my very first knitted scarf is officially done. I just did it in some old soft *dont gasp now* acrylic because it was handy and this is going to my brother who is allergic to wool.
I have been lurking on this particular knit along and have loved all the scarves so far. Mine is a bit,,,heh...wide but I did it with the idea that he could fold it in half to make it thicker and therefore a bit more effective against South Dakota winter winds since that is where he lives.

Short and wide, useful if a bit weird looking:

And now a closeup of the yarn, the gray is called charcoal sparkle, its fuzzy and interesting. I cant remember what the tan is, aside from it being older than I am:

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Knitting is Knourishment Cheesy

http://www.irishwitch.blogspot.com/
kategirl
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

queen of awkward

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: December 13, 2004 10:32:00 AM »

heh, well, I guess I've joined...  I'm making a ribbed scarf right now, not from the SnB book, just b/c, but it's ribbed for HIS pleasure since it's for my boyfriend.   Wink  anyway, stripes of grey and green wool ease (I hate the look of stripes, but that's what he wanted) 48 stitches on US 8 needles.  I'm about 6.5 inches in, going to switch colors every 7-8 inches (haven't decided yet).  it's taking me a looooong time, but it's good.  and it gets me in practice for the "tempting" sweater from knitty that I want to make!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Rosebridejaya

Imagine all the people... Living life in peace.

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 27, 2004 09:14:05 PM »

I started this a while ago with a different color of yarn, but ended up messing up big time and frogging the whole thing.  Here's my start-over!  I did this at my aunt's house.  All us girls sat around in her living room and knitted while having a chat, watching TV, and eating my homemade chocolate chip cookies.  Fun stuff! Wink

You can't really tell from the picture, but the yarn is white with sparklies in it. Kiss
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Always look on the bright side of life... *whistles*
smelkie
« Reply #43 on: December 28, 2004 12:49:58 PM »

So I've been pretty into this ribbed scarf thing, but I have a question: has anyone else run into the problem of an accordian sort scarf? The ribs seem to squish together so that it's impossible to see the different levels; instead, I can see the tops of each rib, and when the scarf is flipped over, the bottom. Am I doing something wrong? Is there a different way to do this so that the scarf will be slightly more flat? Thanks in advance, friends - and all of the scarves look great!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
smrfchic
« Reply #44 on: December 28, 2004 01:07:39 PM »

WAH!
I can't get it!

For some reason, I can't purl 2. It ends up being 2 knots instead of stitches. I'm bringing needles and yarn to my daughters dance class Tuesday, there's a knitter-mom there and she will hopefully be able to teach me.
....... going back to making ANOTHER go go garter until then.  Angry

btw- Everyone did a great job with their scarves on this thread!

Okay, what's a go-go garter?? I just picked up the "I taught myself knitting" kit a friend sent me and did my first 12 or so rows of knitting last night.  I haven't attempted the "purl" yet though.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~*~ Sadie ~*~
Oh, for corn's sake!
rentpenguin
« Reply #45 on: December 28, 2004 01:49:36 PM »

Okay, what's a go-go garter

just knit everry row
THIS ROCKS   Logged
snowwhitesuicide
Thrash&Burn

Another twenty-something knitter with an attitude.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #46 on: December 28, 2004 02:27:31 PM »

I gave mine to my mother for xmas, she loved it! This was a fun little scarf to knit, took longer than I thought though!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jjgirl

I love crochet patterns & crochet hats!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: December 28, 2004 07:39:37 PM »

Just started knitting about 4 days ago, but I think I'm going to try this anyways.  Stupid question, though: After you're done knitting the two stitches and go to purl, you're supposed to move the yarn to the front to purl, right?  But, when I do that, I end up with an extra loop on my needles.  I've tried taking the yarn under the needles and then putting it around the front but that doesn't seem to be working.

Any advise would be helpful -thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Etsy: www.jjcrochet.etsy. com
My Website: http://www.jjcrochet.com
My Blog (with free crochet + knit patterns!): www.jjcrochet.com/blog
www.facebook.com/jjcrochet
Bex
« Reply #48 on: December 29, 2004 08:58:02 AM »

Just started knitting about 4 days ago, but I think I'm going to try this anyways.  Stupid question, though: After you're done knitting the two stitches and go to purl, you're supposed to move the yarn to the front to purl, right?  But, when I do that, I end up with an extra loop on my needles.  I've tried taking the yarn under the needles and then putting it around the front but that doesn't seem to be working.

Any advise would be helpful -thanks!

It sounds like you're bringing your yarn around your needle... Instead, bring it up through the middle of the two points...so it's not wrapping around anything .. just moving from the back to the front.  Does that make sense?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Guys I've made an awesome new discovery! Blue and yellow mixed together makes an entirely different color... I'm gonna call it, BLELLOW!!!!
angelwing75
« Reply #49 on: December 29, 2004 09:21:58 AM »

I'm new to knitting, too, and I had the same problem when I first tried ribbing.  You just need to make sure that the yarn you're working with is coming from the front of the last loop you made.  If you pull the yarn between the needles, it will by lying across the middle, rather than coming directly from the last stitch you made, which will add a stitch.  To make sure I'm not adding any stitches when I switch to purling, I always check to make sure that my last "knot" has the yarn coming directly down from it, rather than it lying across the middle between my two needles.  I'm not sure if that explanation makes any sense, but eventually I think it will just click and you'll be ribbing right along.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Fashion and Beauty Photography Techniques
How to Create Ringflash Style Portraits on a Budget
How to Master High Key and Low Key Lighting for Fashion Photography
Sony Cybershot DSC-TX7 Digital Camera Review
Natural Light Photography
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...