A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 297,693
Currently Running With Scissors:
425 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Knitted monkeys!  (Read 1498 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

xcrunnergirl
« on: February 01, 2007 06:03:40 PM »

I was inspired by the monkeys I saw in spyderbaby's Mr. Dangly post (http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=40974.0 so I decided to make a few of my own, with a few alterations.

This blue one I already posted in that thread, and he's been sent off to my friend at school to replace her newly ex'd boyfriend. I made him with worsted weight, so he turned out fairly small.

This red monkey I made for my guy friend, who, upon seeing the first monkey, did not hesitate to demand one of his own. Being the manly man he is, I chose some Lion Brand Thick and Quick suitably named "Lumberjack Red." Because of the bulky yarn, this monkey turned out huge!

Excuse the darkness of picture and shininess of couch...

I found that two-colored plied yarn looked nice and also served to conceal most of the seaming and my ugly increase/decrease work. Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished 2 bags of M and M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already."  - Dave Barry
CraftyPirateGirl

The Craftsters made me do it

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2007 06:24:22 PM »

Very nice!  The little blue guy is soooooo cute.  He looks right at home perched on that book.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my crafting apparel and gifts at www.CraftingShirts.com

You can see the rest of my web-based work at www.OuterMonologue.com and www.PiratesCloset.com.

*** Out of pocket for a while to move into our new house!  I'll try to check in periodically. : )  Ciao! ***
raynbow
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2007 08:38:57 AM »

I love monkeys, and I love these.  Can you tell us what kind of modifications you made?  The original Mr. Danglies are cute, but I think the proportions on this are really nice.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
eatyerhartout
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2007 11:04:47 AM »

Aww! Cute.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I like to do personal swaps now and again.

I knit, crochet, and make stitch markers.

Just pm me if you wanna swap. Smiley
cupcake-girl
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2007 12:11:04 PM »

Who doesn't love monkeys, they're fantastic!
If they were mine, I'd make them some wings to wear at Halloween.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
christinacoghill

My biggest fans!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2007 02:29:13 PM »

I love how each one has a different personality. The blue one looks kidna snobish, and the red one looks like he is a bruiser! I love them both.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

xcrunnergirl
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2007 04:16:14 PM »

Thanks for your comments! Grin

Can you tell us what kind of modifications you made?

I made the tail longer on the red monkey because I thought the blue one's tail was a little too short. I cast on 40 stitches instead of 35, and I think I knit more than 10 rows, 15 maybe. I basically just kept knitting until it looked the right size.

On the body, I followed the spyderbaby's original pattern, but I changed the assembly a little bit. You knit the torso and end up with a bowling pin-esque flat shape. Then I assembled it like this:

The dashed line is the seaming down to his bellybutton area. Then I folded up the triangle and sewed it almost as a gusset. This made the monkey a nice crotch and I attached his legs on the two corners I created (bottom black arrows). Add his tail on the back (think like a tripod) and he sits up nicely.

The only other modification I made was when I was attaching the head. The neck part of his torso seemed to tall and skinny, so I just rolled the extra part down into his body and sewed his head on. This made his neck the right length and a bit stronger too.

I love how each one has a different personality. The blue one looks kidna snobish, and the red one looks like he is a bruiser! I love them both.

Hahaha. He only looks snobbish because he's sitting kinda stiffly. The big one turned out a lot more floppy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished 2 bags of M and M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already."  - Dave Barry
zeusofcute
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2007 07:18:54 PM »

aww they're so cute! Cheesy I gotta try something like this...

and this is a little bit off-topic, but I noticed from your username, do you run xc?? I do too- I love it so much! we're bringin xc back, ye-ah!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
theknitnkitn
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2007 07:35:03 PM »

fabulous! i love it!
i don't think i have the patience for making a stuffed animal...i'm horrible at seams.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

homey
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2007 06:55:17 PM »

These are adorable.  The red one has so much personality.  What will the guy friend name him? 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Justin Somper Gives Some Answers
Nic Pizzolatto Talks About Galveston
Nic Pizzolatto Offers Readers Some Words of Wisdom
Steve Martin Reads from Born Standing Up
Andrew Clements Talks About Report Cards
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup
@Home This Weekend: Bee Magnets
Tute Tuesday: Rustic Fabric Pumpkins

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...