A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 296,602
Currently Running With Scissors:
733 Guests and 36 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: DC area fabric stores!  (Read 17502 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

faeriegirlie

"Follow your wishing heart"

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2005 07:19:14 PM »

A random note on Joanns for all you fiber-philes out there.  Joanns buys only seconds as far as any "fashion fabric" is concerned, its all stuff that didn't make the cut for smite reason or another.  Usually its so small that most people wouldn't notice. Now as far as I'm concerned, it usually doesn't matter, cause I only buy cheap stuff there and I don't expect it to last forever.  But for projects that I'm really investing time and effort in, I go somewhere else and pay the extra few bucks a yard for my fabrics.  That way, I don't have to worry about crying later because the fibers have started to wear through way before they really should.

Oh, and hollandcox - I completely agree about AC Moore.  I moved out here recently and am so excited to have discovered AC Moore.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"rise and drink your bliss"
OEinDC
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2005 06:15:22 AM »

Coming in really late here, but thought I'd add my .02

G-Street is fantastic, it's nationally known for their fabric and the classes they offer are fun (expensive, but fun).  White Flint is the better metro and the stop puts you right at the corner of the strip mall it's located in (there's also a very good AC Moore with a nice yarn selection - as far as box store yarn selections go).

I've noticed that G-Street prices are about 20% more than what I can find elsewhere (I've bought upholstery stuff as well as fabrics there).  So if you have the time to browse then surf it might be worth it, but if not there are worse ways to spend that 20%.  the quilters fabrics are fantastic, the evening fabrics and bridal fabrics are just sooo nice (just to look at, and at $100 a yard I'm not going to be buying that any time soon, if ever!).

I work (on and off...right now off) at the Greenbelt/College Park Jo-Ann.  We do have a good selection of fabric there.  It's about a mile from the Greenbelt Metro (walkable, but there are buses too).  If you're looking for something fun it's worth checking out.  We have a huge selection of Asian inspired fabrics (the shiny silky stuff) and we're getting more Indian styled fabrics (for saries - ok that's spelt wrong)...mainly because of the area the store is located in.

And please let me plug Zipcar (as I'm a member - but there are other carshares in DC).   It's a great way to get to these places if you aren't a car owner.  You pay by the hour and you don't need insurance or to pay for the gas (it's included).  They're located ALL OVER DC and at many Metro stops.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
AwesomeLikeCookies
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2006 07:33:36 PM »

u shouid try around Lagley Plaza
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tenrec

*adaptive*radiation*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2006 08:12:20 PM »

Also, there is a decent Hancock Fabric in Silver Spring/Takoma area at University and New Hampshire (not metro accessible, sadly).  I have a car, but very little free time to go fabric shopping, so Exquisite is great for me.

There are several other fabric stores at that crossroads (Uni/New Hampshire) - lots of them Indian, so good sari fabrics, and also African batiks.  Vina Fabrics sells tons of  different kinds of fabric, and they're almost all on 50-60" rolls, so it's more like buying upholstery fabric than buying your typical 45" cotton.
While the metro doesn't go directly there, there are Metro buses from either Takoma or Silver Spring stations, and with the concentration of different stores, it could be a good bet!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ptarmic wumpus
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

You are in room 2

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2006 11:52:00 AM »

Sarah Fabrics at New Hampshire/193 has some nice stuff too - they are in the section of the shopping center with the Safeway, but on the end near New Hampshire (where Hancocks used to be when it was still Minnesota Fabrics, back in the 80s).  There are several fabric shops next to the Hancocks - one of them is in the basement of a building, you have to ask about it.   And down University near Piney Branch, there are some fabrics in the Maxim grocery store (really), and a little fabric shop next door that has several floors, one with just notions.  I think the #15, 16, 17, and 18 RideOn buses go from Silver Spring or Takoma metro to Langely Park.

And mostly unrelatedly, I've gotten some great sewing books from the Wheaton Book Sale in the basement of Wheaton Regional library, but you'd have to take a bus or something from Wheaton metro to get there.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

swankcreations
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2007 10:12:06 AM »

I have an online fabric boutique, but i'm in Washington, DC.  You can order online, choose free shipping, and pick up your order in Dupont Circle. 

Hooray!

Email me at rach@swankcreations.com if you have questions.

Cheers,
rach
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-------------------------------------------------
Swank Creations
A fusion of craft and style!
http://www.swankcreations.com
littleweasel
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2007 10:33:31 AM »

Does anyone know the operating hours for Exquisite Fabrics?  I found their website but I'm not sure I want to make the trek only to find them closed...

Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my Etsy www.littleweasel.et sy.com
yallzrcrazy
« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2007 07:30:51 AM »

i think exquisite fabrics closes at 6.  they probably open at 10.

also, there's a new little craft shop on barracks row/8th street SE.  they sell some cotton fabric.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ScotSkipper402
« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2007 01:05:26 PM »

I've noticed that G-Street prices are about 20% more than what I can find elsewhere (I've bought upholstery stuff as well as fabrics there).  So if you have the time to browse then surf it might be worth it, but if not there are worse ways to spend that 20%.  the quilters fabrics are fantastic, the evening fabrics and bridal fabrics are just sooo nice (just to look at, and at $100 a yard I'm not going to be buying that any time soon, if ever!).

Often G-Street prices are about 20% more -- but their fabric is at least 50% better in terms of selection and quality.

PLUS they all have a big rummage area, where you can get fabric for $2.97 a yard. Some fabrics are barely worth 5cents a yard. But some fabrics are incredibly nice.

PLUS PLUS they frequently have 25% off coupons on their website.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"For what do we exist, but to laugh at our neighbors and be laughed at in our turn?"

My stash of supplies is now Beyond Life Expectancy. I love personal swaps! http://www.wists.com/redmennis
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Is There Fashion in Baseball?
Make Your Own Tank Top
Hot Summer Fashion Trends
Trends We Learned From the Tribeca Film Festival
VMA Wrap-Up Best and Worst Dressed
Latest Blog Articles
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...