A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 297,493
Currently Running With Scissors:
554 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: DC area fabric stores!  (Read 18161 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ThatFalafelGirl
I'm an Alpaca!!!

Ambivalent about Adulthood

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2005 09:21:02 PM »

So everyone else knows-G-street is actually closest to the White Flint metro stop...i'd feel really sorry for you if you got off at Rockville!!! Though i have to say, i find G-street very overwhelming. and often overly expensive. There's an old 5 and dime type store in Bethesda-Bruce's Variety, and they sell some fabric, of course they're kinda overpriced too, but it is supporting a small old store. And there's a Jo-anne's in College Park. Not metro accesible though. It was funny to hear Cottonseed Glory mentioned. I'm from Annapolis and my mom sews so we used to go there all the time. i feel like i spent part of my life between there and other stores. Cottonseed was always one of my favorites though....they had toys for you to play with while you waited Cheesy But. if you're in town for Cottonseed Glory, there's also a Jo-anne's behind the Annapolis mall. Be sure to say hi to my Mom who works there! Her name is Ginni! Cheesy

Wheew. I'm gonna shut up now. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Bats Need Friends!
snoopendous
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2005 06:26:05 PM »

i think the G street in MD is ok,. There is also one in Va in the 7-corners area.  Living in DC it kind of stinks that we have to go out so far.  But G-street is better than Joann's in my opinion -- at least the G-street in 7-corners is better than the Joann's in 7-corners (they are both in the same strip mall out there around the corner from one another).  I have walked past the store in the Foggy Bottom area but it looked pretty small and with limited selection.  I often just resort to buying stuff online since I don't have a car either.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tigralon
Tig Gooseberry Tartlet

~ living in a magical dollhouse ~

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2005 07:35:29 AM »

So glad I found this thread!  I'm moving to Georgetown soon for grad school, and am despairing of finding any sorts of fabric stores (or craft-supply stores) within walking (or easy public transport) distance of the neighborhood.  Any suggestions?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"What is a television apparatus to man, who has only to shut his eyes to see the most inaccessible regions of the seen and the never seen, who has only to imagine in order to pierce through walls and cause all the planetary Baghdads of his dreams to rise from the dust."  - Salvador Dali
Picasso_blue_dog
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2005 07:35:11 PM »

There is a G street and Joanns off of Arlington Blvd which isnt that far from Georgetown. I know the bus goes right to them. THere is also a MIchaels in the same shopping center. So you should be able to get your craft supply fix.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Never eat more than you can lift---Miss Piggy
tigralon
Tig Gooseberry Tartlet

~ living in a magical dollhouse ~

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2005 10:03:50 AM »

There is a G street and Joanns off of Arlington Blvd which isnt that far from Georgetown. I know the bus goes right to them. THere is also a MIchaels in the same shopping center. So you should be able to get your craft supply fix.

Wonderful - thanks so much!  Another reason to learn how to use the D.C. bus system...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"What is a television apparatus to man, who has only to shut his eyes to see the most inaccessible regions of the seen and the never seen, who has only to imagine in order to pierce through walls and cause all the planetary Baghdads of his dreams to rise from the dust."  - Salvador Dali
lemairia
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2005 10:22:52 AM »

Actually, I feel to put in my plug for Exquisite Fabric--the store on K between 18th and Connecticut.  It's a local institution, used to be in the Watergate complex.  The guy who owns it (Mo) can seem a little gruff, but he's really knowledeable and softens up on further acquaintance.  I buy so much of my fabric from him (it's also super convenient for me because I work in Dupont and can go get into lots of trouble at lunchtime!).  The prices on some stuff are expensive, yes, but most of it is designer fabric.  There are plenty of bargains and there are often sales.

Anyway, in case any one is checking in on this thread, just thought I'd weigh in!

Also, there is a decent Hancock Fabric in Silver Spring/Takoma area at University and New Hampshire (not metro accessible, sadly).  I have a car, but very little free time to go fabric shopping, so Exquisite is great for me.

Cheers,
Lisa
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LeMair Handcrafts
unique handcrafted items for modern living
www.lemairhandcrafts.com
sararosa
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2005 10:53:16 AM »

Wow, that's cool, Lisa.

I walk near there every day but I've never been in, I will have to check it out. I just got a sewing machine through freecycle so I will be buying fabric like a madwoman!

-Sara
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lemairia
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2005 11:22:37 AM »

Wow, that's cool, Lisa.

I walk near there every day but I've never been in, I will have to check it out. I just got a sewing machine through freecycle so I will be buying fabric like a madwoman!

-Sara

Plenty of good stuff in the under $10 range (and yummies in the $20 + range!), and soooo handy when you run out of thread (or forgot to buy it in the first place, duh).  And vogue, butterick, and burda patterns, and and and !!  Happy shopping and happy sewing  Grin

Lisa
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LeMair Handcrafts
unique handcrafted items for modern living
www.lemairhandcrafts.com
Pinklightning06
Pinklightning!

I am a sugar spun electro storm ♥

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2005 08:21:08 AM »

I always go to JoAnns at Beltway Plaza. Ony because I can take the R12 from Deanwood Station straight there. It's very metro accessible if you're not driving. But I think I want to check out the independent stores that were mentioned.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.etsy.com/shop/pinklightning
http://www.pinklightning.me/

Project 365 Awesome - Day 105: Stars&Dinosaurs&AsianBrides&NEW GOALS
Do I have what it takes to be a successful fashion designer? Well I'm giving myself 365 days to find out...
hollandcox

the crafty shall inherit the earth

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2005 11:13:38 PM »

Hi y'all. This won't help those without cars, but FYI for the newbies in town, in case you have a charitable friend or going to be in the area(s) mentioned anyway.....

There are 4 G Street Fabrics, Rockville, Falls Church (7 Corners), Woodbridge (inside Potomac Mills Mall), and Centreville. Those of you who live in DC will probably *never* have to go to Centerville, but hey, fyi! And that one is my favorite one (my parents live out there so I do have to go sometimes) - their fashion fabric and home decor fabric is in *two separate stores* it is so huge. Also, the Woodbridge G Street is in the space where the old Ikea was in the mall, so you can imagine how gigantic the place is. I've spent LOTS of quality time in each one. The Rockville store (the flagship) is actually the smallest by far.

The 7 Corners store is accessible by bus, and like others have said there is Joann's and MIchael's in the same shopping center. Not far away in Bailey's Crossroads (where Rte 7 and Columbia Pike cross) is a AC Moore, which I think is a better craft store than Michael's IMHO. There is also an ACMoore's next door to the Rockville G St.

I've been to lots of little tiny fabric stores here & there but never found the selection or the price range that is truly outstanding, so I am a slave to G Street! If you are TRULY adventurous, or if you're on your way to Potomac Mills, stop in Occoquan. There are some tiny quilt shops there that sell some pretty cool stuff. I got a whole mess of hand-dyed wool from a local fiber artist, gorgeous stuff!

Ok, that's all I know. Smiley

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Alyssa Wallace: The Revlon Makeover Challenge Part 2
Mallory Cornelison: The Revlon Makeover Challenge Part 2
Mallory Cornelison: The Revlon Makeover Challenge Part 1
Megan Moore: The Revlon Makeover Challenge
Marianna Hewitt: The Revlon Makeover Challenge Part 1
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...