A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 298,684
Currently Running With Scissors:
584 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: recipes to teach my college age son who freaks out over raw meat  (Read 4584 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Bastelmutti
« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2007 08:00:18 AM »

If he likes and can handle Polish sausage, our favorite is just dumping some Polish sausage (cut up or not) on a pan with cut-up vegetables (carrots, sweet/white potatoes, anything really) plus any combo of fresh herbs/garlic/onion (optional) and little olive oil and salt and pepper. Roast in a hot oven around 375-400 degrees or so until the vegetables are soft. You can serve this with bread or rice or noodles, or just plain. Really good!

Also, what about canned bean dishes - burritos (beans, rice, cheese, salsa, lettuce - vary the ingredients any way you want), black bean soup (puree beans with some broth, onion, garlic, maybe some tomato or tomato paste), huevos rancheros (eggs with black beans), etc.

Another idea is egg dishes and "breakfast for dinner"-type stuff like waffles/pancakes and eggs for dinner.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jessvict
« Reply #31 on: May 14, 2007 11:30:20 AM »

I dont know if this was posted yet, but an easy way to make chicken parm. is to use frozen chicken patties. cook them first till almost done. top with a spoonful of spagetti sauce, then top with provalone or mozzarella cheese. heat them until cheese melts.( this can all be done in a microwave if he wants) the leftover sauce can be used for a side of spagetti. leftovers can be put into hamburger buns for sandwiches.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
staciart

Old, but not rotten...yet.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #32 on: May 14, 2007 11:38:06 AM »

Yes, Trader Joe's (hopefully, there's one nearby him) has all kinds of pre-seasoned, pre-cooked meats that all you have to do is heat them.  They also have incredibly easy recipes at their sample counters AND they have the ingredients right there ready to buy if you want to. That would make shopping for recipes -at least that days' particular recipe- brainless (I like that!).  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lilfishyinbigblu
« Reply #33 on: May 15, 2007 07:22:54 PM »

I'm not sure if some one else has suggested this, just because i haven't read threw all 4 pages! but what if you taught him how to make an easy pizza crust. i know freshman year i spent a ton of money on pizza, and later on i learned how to make it my self, and every weekend my friends and i would make pizza. plus with pizza you can use up just about every thing, and the meats that go on pizza are precooked such as pepperoni, and sausage. Also if he gets into i would recommend getting a pizza stone, it makes pizza come out much crisper!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Wildfyre
« Reply #34 on: May 16, 2007 09:19:41 AM »

Meat kind of freaks me out too.. well beef does anyway. I grew up on moose and I swear beef wreaks in comparison..  Lips sealed anyway..

Can he handle burger? I know if I throw it in the skillet and turn up the overhead fan I can get through burger ok. Also seasoning helps the smell.

What about fish?

THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Flickr - bonniemj

My DeviantArt - alaskanwildfyre
samsun
« Reply #35 on: June 04, 2007 03:57:01 AM »

This is something my little nephews like and is fairly quick.
Cook pasta or noodles, While it is cooking mix together vegetables of choice I use defrosted veg  mix with baked beans in tomato sauce and slices of hot dog or ham basically cold meat of choice. When the pasta/noodles are cooked drain and mix with the rest of the things. Place in an oven dish. Pour over some pasta sauce top off with a little cheese if you want then put into the oven to warm through for about 15 -20 mins depending on the oven and how much you have made. Then enjoy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
staciart

Old, but not rotten...yet.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #36 on: June 05, 2007 08:01:01 AM »

Hopefully, he will be near a Trader Joe's, as they seem to be popping up everywhere *yaaaaaay!*  . TJ has many pre-cooked meats, ready to heat and eat - including little mini roasts, all of the meats pre-seasoned. Yummy!  They also sell fresh pizza dough by the pound for 99 cents here in Southern California. The prices are pretty good, depending on what you buy, of course.    They also have the frozen meatballs, both meat and a vegetarian one, too.   Sometimes, I don't bother to put anything with them, just fry and eat in a bowl.

re the pizza dough: you don't have to use tomato sauce, pizza sauce or spagette sauce, etc.  I have put fresh asparagus spears and a swissy cheese or parmesan on top and it tastes excellent!  You can put anything on the doughs. Maybe slice those frozen meatballs on top before baking.

Even in regular grocery stores in the meat dept:  prepacked and cut up, meats and vegies together, ready to stir fry!
« Last Edit: June 05, 2007 08:03:11 AM by staciart » THIS ROCKS   Logged
WIPs

The WIPs Phenomenon

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 05, 2007 10:06:05 PM »

So far he only knows how to make noodle ramen, pasta with sauce from a jar, microwave mac and cheese and sandwitches.

Noodle ramen is so good. Cheesy

Hopefully, he will be near a Trader Joe's, as they seem to be popping up everywhere *yaaaaaay!*  . TJ has many pre-cooked meats, ready to heat and eat - including little mini roasts, all of the meats pre-seasoned. Yummy!  They also sell fresh pizza dough by the pound for 99 cents here in Southern California. The prices are pretty good, depending on what you buy, of course.    They also have the frozen meatballs, both meat and a vegetarian one, too.   Sometimes, I don't bother to put anything with them, just fry and eat in a bowl.

I love Trader Joe's. Great for easy to make lunches.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

100 Themes ATC: 1/100 Grin
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Beauty Treatments Straight from the Beach
The Best & Worst Celebrity Beauty Looks Of The Week
Best Nail-Polish "Cocktails & Coconuts"
How To Fix Dry Mascara
Best Beauty Products For Under $15
Latest Blog Articles
Challenge #104 Halloween Costume Winner
@Home This Weekend: Painted Countertops
Tute Tuesday: Paper Lantern/Ball Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...