A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 296,583
Currently Running With Scissors:
597 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: recipes to teach my college age son who freaks out over raw meat  (Read 4248 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Ilah
« on: February 01, 2007 11:17:43 AM »

I want to install a few cooking skills in my son before he goes off to college this fall.  He will be sharing an apartments with some friends so will have access to a full kitchen.

I have learned first hand that you can save lots of money by minimizing your use of pre-packaged foods so I want to teach him how to make some stuff from scratch.

So far he only knows how to make noodle ramen, pasta with sauce from a jar, microwave mac and cheese and sandwitches.

Sides will not be a problem, but main dishes are difficult.

The problem is meat.  He is NOT a vegetarian, but he has an issue with raw meat.  He cannot stand to handle raw meat and the smell of raw meat makes him nausious.  He says he doesn't think he could eat meat if he had to cook it himself.

Any suggestions for main dish recipes that use already cooked meat that are fairly cheap?  A main dish with lunch meat maybe?  What are some affordable cooked meats I could use?  He hates canned tuna.

Ilah
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CraftyChef

Am I retired yet?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2007 02:16:02 PM »

1) Go to Sam's or Costco and get a box of 500 plastic gloves (probably with the paper plates and cups and food service stuff). That takes care of the touching.
2) Have him throw it in a crockpot immediately and put the cover on.  That takes care of the smell.

A crockpot can also be a great cooking tool at college - turn it on in the morning and come back later and eat.

Get him a crockpot cookbook. There's no need to cut or brown meat before tossing into the pot. Some recipes will tell you to do those things, but it's totally not necessary.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

msalowishus

Virginia is for lovers.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2007 08:20:50 PM »

i know they have like thin steak slices in the freezer section (they come in a box) you can use for philly cheese steak or stir fry and the like. i think its pre-cooked so its not gross and it only takes 5 minutes to heat up.

and a little bit pricier than raw meat is like tyson tenders you can just throw in the oven. and my mom used to buy store brand frozen boneless skinless chicken breast in a resealable bag. if he can take it straight from the freezer to the stove before it gets all mushy and gross maybe he could handle that?

and im sure you know there are pre-made hamburgers that you just pop on the stove or grill.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2007 08:27:16 PM by msalowishus » THIS ROCKS   Logged

JennAviv
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2007 01:24:57 PM »

I second the crock pot suggestion!  I recently found the world's easiest pot roast recipe, which will make him very popular with his roomies and will limit his raw meat exposure to about ten seconds:

1 2.5 lb pot roast (i've used 3-3.5 lbs. so it's pretty forgiving)
1/2 package french onion soup mix (save the rest to mix with some sour cream for chips 'n' dip/veggies 'n' dip before dinner!)
1 can cream of mushroom soup

throw the soup and soup mix in the crock pot, then fill the can with water and pour that in, too. 
mix it all up.
close your eyes, hold your breath, and pull open the plastic of the pot roast container, then flip it over to make it drop into the crock pot without touching it - or make a roommate put it in.  (instructions especially for the squeamish!) then use a spoon or something to roll the roast over so it's covered in soup. 
cook at low for 8 hours or high for 4 hours. 
take the strings off, slice. 
serve with pre-pack salad or veggies. 
(if there ARE left overs, it's yummy as sandwiches the next day, but there usually isn't any left!)

Hope that helps!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
erikau
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2007 03:41:42 PM »

Is his problem specifically with beef, or does it extend to poultry?  I think it's not too hard to find chicken that is either cooked or cleverly disguised as some sort of nugget, but it's much more difficult with cow. 

Don't places like the big warehouse stores have bags of frozen, already cooked meatballs?  Those would work in lots of things--swedish meatball casserole, spaghetti, crumble them up to put in chili.

Or if he wants a fancy meal (say to impress a date) he could make chicken parmesan with a breaded chicken cutlet, some spaghetti sauce and a slice of mozzarella.  Serve it with pasta and a green salad.

Some of the soy based crumbles are good. Take him to Trader Joe's and browse the frozen food aisle.  Make sure he has a supply of recipes using condensed cream soups (or teach him to make white sauce), and teach him how to cook rice. (my son is the casserole king, and he probably makes rice 4 or 5 times a week)

Erika 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tamagotchi
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2007 04:32:18 PM »

I also have a problem cooking raw meat, so I understand how your son feels.  I hate to even look at it.  Also, meat is hard to cook.  With most other things you can mess up a little and still be ok.  With meat, if you mess up it's yuck-o city and maybe food poisoning.

In terms of already-cooked meat, I'd get some small strips and teach him how to make stir fry.  Very easy, and since the meat is small it's easy to see when it's done.  Or frozen shrimp with vegetables.

As an alternative, why not look for some vegetarian recipes?  Tofu has protein in it.  If he doesn't like cooking meat, try coming up with some nutritional meatless meals.

Even ramen can be made healthy.  Try substituting the prepackaged soup powder for some vegetable broth.  Then throw in some fresh veggies (baby spinach is good) and an egg, and voila!  A filling and healthy meal.

I think probably the most important thing you can do is to teach him how to eat a balanced meal.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ravelry username = tamagotchi
shamelesslyahippie

i'm not a popsicle

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2007 05:01:05 PM »

how about he goes veggie when he cooks for himself?
teach baisic knife skills, and how to use tofu.
what i did for my friend when he went off to college was; i went to BJ's and bought a 50(yes, 50!!!) can package of tomato-O's (generic spaghetti o's)
and 20 14-cent packages of ramen.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Comment allez-vous ce soir? Je suis comme ci comme a
 Yes, a penguin taught me French back in Antarctica
xcriot
Don't mind if I do..

MMMbop, It's like an addiction.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2007 06:40:48 PM »

How bout he just doesn't eat meat?
Tell him it attracts girls. (it does)  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If these walls came crumblin' down
Fell so hard, to make us lose our faith
From what's left you'd figure it out
Still make lemonade taste like a sunny day
hey love
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2007 06:59:58 PM »

So basically I'm just like your son.
When I moved into my first apartment I would only eat meat when my roommate would cook it.  (And then I'd go crazy with the Lysol wipes afterwards because I'm somewhat ocd...)  Anyway, I've pretty much just given up meat altogether.  At least when I cook for myself.  I don't *officially* call myself a vegetarian, because I do eat chicken and fish once in a while, but only when someone else cooks it for me (like when I visit my parents).

My suggestion for you is to teach him how to cook hearty vegetarian meals.  This is not to say that you should tell him to become vegetarian, but just learn to cook like one.  Beans are great- a big pot lasts me a week, and they're really easy to make.  And I second the stir-fry suggestion.

But yeah, perhaps being on his own will end up making him vegetarian, which isn't so bad. 

OH!, my parents always told me to get a job at a restaurant, so that I could eat for free (or discounted) there.  He could be a server or something so he'd never even see the raw meat! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lobster Magnet
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2007 07:13:05 PM »

How bout a smoked sausage/kielbasa type product?  I dont know if those will freak him out, but I've made some pretty tasty jambalaya and gumbo with fully-cooked turkey smoked sausage...

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Extreme Website Makeover - Making Slices with Fireworks®
Extreme Website Makeover - Tidying Up Photoshop® and Saving Your Project
Extreme Website Makeover - Using Blend Modes to Add Graphic Highlights
Extreme Website Makeover - Adding Buttons to the Layout
Extreme Website Makeover - Working with Text
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Art Dolls
Meatless Monday: Texas Pecan Pesto
@Home This Weekend: Celebrate Your State

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...