A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 297,696
Currently Running With Scissors:
498 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: recipes to teach my college age son who freaks out over raw meat  (Read 4422 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

frogeyesalad

Texting from a few feet away? For shame!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2007 08:17:21 AM »

How far away will he be going for college? I share the same total freakout-ness about raw meat (and poultry), but my mom and I have found a solution. For ground beef, she packages in in plastic freezer baggies, each weighing 1 or 1/2 a pound. When I need to use it, I just dump it in a pot (on low heat, so it will defrost rather than burn) and brown it up. If even that is too much, we also pre-cook and season taco/chili meat and freeze it, so defrosting is all that is necessary. For chicken, she will cut it into chunks and freeze them (I do NOT eat big pieces of chicken...too much for me) and then my part is easy. If he is not going too far, this is an option! I went pretty far for school, so I was mostly vegetarian, which is also a great idea.

Gloves do NOT solve the touching thing for me...too absolutely disgusting.

And yes, my mom TOTALLY spoils me:)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
andy8715
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2007 12:14:07 AM »

i think the frozen meatballs are a good idea. I know this one brand has 3 styles that i know of : italian, swedish, and homestlye(?) Then he could make different dishes using those, or just eat them like that.

MM spaghetti. haha
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pinterest.com/andy8715
Craftinator
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2007 01:13:35 PM »

If he likes mexican type cooking, here's an easy one -

Cook up a batch of rice (brown rice is healthier and has a more interesting texture but not everyone likes that) and a batch of dried beans (the directions will be on the bag) - I prefer black beans for this particular dish.  Stir them together with a jar of salsa - whatever hotness level they like - and let it simmer a while then put cheese on top.

You can add other mexican type things like black olives or chiles or  ? ? ?

This can be done with Minute Rice and canned whole beans but it's not as flavorful or econimical.

This is way healthy, lean and filling - plus, if you buy long grain rice and dried beans, it's way cheap!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

xx_Kellybean
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2007 08:57:07 PM »

green bean casserole:

1 can cream of mushroom soup
3/4 cup of milk.
dash of pepper.
4 cups cooked cut green beans.
1 1/3 cup of French's French fried onions.

Mix soup, milk, pepper, beans and 2/3 cup of onions in casserole dish. Bake at 350 for 25 minutes. Stir and sprinkle remaining 2/3 cup onions, and bake for five more minutes.

and any college student has got to love this.
Pizza Bubblebread:

1 pkg refrigerated biscuits.
3/4 cup pizza sauce.
1/4 cup pepperoni.
1/2 t. italian seasoning.
1 cup shredded mozerella cheese (4 oz)

Use a bunt pan. If you don't have one, place a glass cup upside down inside of a circular glass pan. Spray lightly with Pam.

Seperate 1 pkg refridgerated biscuits into sections. (there should be 10) Cut each section into 4 pieces using scissors or a knife and place them into medium sized bowl.

Mix italian seasoning with the pizza sauce and pour over biscuits. Stir gently.

Arrange the dough sections eveninly around the bottom of the pan. Extra sauce can be poured evenly over the top.

Slice or chop pepperoni on cutting board with knife or scissors.

Shred mozerella cheese.

Sprinkly pepperoni and chese over the douch. Try to keep the middle piece (glass cup) clean.

Microwave for six minutes on high power, rotating it ever 2 minutes, unless you have a carousel in your microwave.

Allow to sit 2 minutes before eating.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

hey love
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2007 01:01:39 AM »

earlier i posted saying that you should teach him some vegetarian cooking basics.  yes, when i cook for myself it's basically all vegetarian, but when i last went home my parents individually packaged up frozen chicken breasts for me.  so last week was the first time i cooked chicken myself in over a year (i really freak out about raw meat).  i just took one out of the bag and defrosted it in the microwave and then i cooked it.  it was a low stress way of cooking the chicken and i hardly had to deal with it being raw since it went from frozen to thawed to cooking to cooked in a short time.  so yeah, do a little prep for him so he can use one frozen chicken breast at a time and teach him how to cook it so that you don't really need to touch the raw meat a lot.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

wind
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2007 05:17:05 AM »

I don't know can he get roast beef ham etc. I guess he would make either fry rice or noodles with it. Also, he would buy a pizza base and make his own pizza.

If he eats fish/seafood and could find the smoked/cooked one, he could make curry out of it (either Thai or Indian one).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wanna try to cook a lovely but simple meal for your loved ones?
Then visit: http://windyscorner.info
Enjoy! Smiley
misplacedhippie
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2007 05:28:45 AM »

For the smell:  Rub a tiny amout of Vapo-rub (I think it is for congestion) under your nose.  The cheeper the stronger it will be, but you cant smell anything!

I second the Gloves suggestion - It is amazing what you can suddenly touch with a tiny layer of plastic between you and the icky Item.

I knew some guys that got a very good deal on frozen hamburger patties, they were already shaped and individualy packaged.  But you could get them out in numbers and brown them for other uses. Sams Club, or Costco, or something like that.

MY sister and I used to have the "I am NOT touching that chicken" problem.  My sister still uses LONG Long Handled Tongs to remove it from the package, wash it, and place it in the dish.  I got a job as a Zoo Keeper, I now can touch almost anything, and impressed my sister when I made little meat Kabobs the other day.  When you HAVE to make them for Tigers, you can suddenly make them for yourself! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.wists.com/misplacedhippie

Desperately seeking Beatles Fabric (found at some walmarts).  Will trade/send money/ Send Elvis Fabric (what my walmart has). PM me! Please!
zoster.i

addicted lurker...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2007 11:13:25 PM »

when my brother and i left for school, sometime our mom would precook things for us and send them with us. That way it's still as cheap as buying raw meat, with the added bonus that we could eat it with very little prep!

cooking a big roast, or a couple chicken breasts doesn't necessarily take too long, especially if he helps with the post-cooking prep.

And there are so many things that you can do with chicken and beef! salad, pasta, stir fry.....

the only thing to watch out for is that chicken gets dry - be careful to just finish cooking it the first time (or...mix it with lots of mayo for chicken salad!)

good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ilovemysoldier
« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2007 08:05:12 PM »

One of my favorites, and my kids LOVE it....buy the frozen breaded (boneless!)chicken patties(tyson is good)...place them on cookie sheet and bake as directed...as soon as they are done, open the oven and place 1 slice deli thin slice ham(I like the honey ham), and 1 slice swiss cheese ontop of each chicken pattie. Leave them in the oven just long enough for cheese to somewhat melt. And a quick dipping sauce, equal parts of mustard and mayo! I usually serve this with a side of boxed rice, which is EASY, and side salad. I usually pay like 4.00 for a pkg. of 12 patties.
   Also canned chicken is very tasty, and easy to make lots of things with! I make a layered casserole type dish with 2 cans chunk chicken, and 1 can of chicken soup, corn tortillas, and cheese. First, I soften the tortillas( you can do this in the microwave, or a quick dip in hot oil), then I mix cream of chicken soup with the 2 cans of chicken(don't drain cans).you can add a bit chopped onion and garlic powder for a bit more flavor. Also add to that about 3-4 oz shredded cheese, cheddar, or those cool fiesta blends. Then just start with a layer of tortillas on the bottom of your baking pan( I use a 13x9 greased pan...with about 18 tortillas.).spread a layer of the soup/chicken mix, extra cheese if you like, and continue process. Sprinkle more cheese on top, bake at 350 for maybe 25-30 min...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ffancypantss
« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2007 05:58:54 PM »

Does he like fish? I believe they sell pre-cooked and pre-seasoned fish in little silver packets, maybe he could just build something around those.

I'm a girl who gets grossed out about raw meat too, but I can definitely handle dumping something in the crockpot! Recently, I made a delicious Strogonaff-type meal with cube steak (CHEAP! CHEAP!). Just get 4 or 5 cube steaks, a can of cream of mushroom soup, Lipton onion dip powder, and about 1/2 cup of milk. It came out really yummy, and I served it over rice. It was a good hearty dinner and cheap, to boot.

A lot of people have said this already, but stirfries are the best. He can buy loads of frozen veggies at the warehouse club, and stir fry sauce is like $2 at the store. I usually serve mine with pasta so it's more filling.

Oh! Another- I love having breakfast for dinner! Have you heard of the brown & serve sausages? THey are fully cooked, all you do is microwave them or heat them up in a skillet. They're yummy. Breakfast sausages usually require minimum handling, just pop them out of the styrofoam play they come in.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Let there be songs to fill the air...

www.limabeads.etsy.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Essential Summer Beauty Products
Summer And Spring Style Trends 2013
Rules Of Thumb For Eyebrow Shaping
Swimwear Slimming Secrets
Affordable Style Staples For The Summer
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup
@Home This Weekend: Bee Magnets
Tute Tuesday: Rustic Fabric Pumpkins

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...