A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 308,218
Currently Running With Scissors:
410 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: recipes to teach my college age son who freaks out over raw meat  (Read 7207 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Avian Flight
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2007 07:43:31 PM »

The crockpot ideas sound good, especially since you can buy precut meats nowadays. I know that costco and most other major supermarkets, sell frozen packages precooked chicken already cut up and ready to go. They're sometimes even already flavored. I love buying frozen meatballs too, very useful. For the more pricey: precooked shrimp? Supermarkets also sell freshly roasted chicken for pretty cheap so that's another option.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Wists
eula.wordpress.com - updated frequently! (food and bento)
Neuromancer
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2007 08:01:46 AM »

I think the suggestion to teach him some good vegetarian basics is right on.  If he doesn't want to handle raw meat then that would be the simplest way around it.  And he can eat turkey bacon.  That's usually pre-cooked.  Wink  I'd arm him with some good potato dishes, pasta sauces, and info about cooking with beans and tortillas.  We ate a lot of pasta as poor college students with a kitchen.  Sweet potatoes with black bean chili (no meat in our recipe) was another favorite.   Can he cook eggs a bunch of different ways? Make a mean grilled cheese sandwich?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ilah
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2007 05:53:36 AM »

Thanks everyone for your great suggestions.  I will discuss them with my son Cris.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
shewolf
I call her Vera.

The hero of Canton

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2007 09:10:15 AM »

My fave is to put a 3lb roast into the crockpot, add 2 packs of brown gravy with 3c of water and cook on the lowest setting for 24 hours (I usually start it during dinner the night before). It shreds beautifuly and can be made into sandwiches the next day.

Using BBQ sauce and pork will get passable barbeque. With a small dollop of liquid smoke.

Something else is hamburger/sausage in a plastic tube. Leave it mostly frozen and cut with a good serrated knife, and it doesn't smell/feel gross and it cooks fine from frozen.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

(\__/) This is Fat Bunny.
( o.o ) It has taken over, and eaten the unbelievers.
( > < ) Copy Bunny into your signature or be EATEN!

www.rattleheadgames.com - for all your gaming needs!

http://www.wists.com/shewolf I wish, I wish, with all my heart.... Smiley
ebeth
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2007 09:14:12 AM »

often if you keep an eye on the grocery flyers, those whole roasted chickens go on sale...we love to use them for making enchiladas...and i am sure that the meat could be used for making many different recipes
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i do personal swaps...  check out my admired objects www.wists.com/ebeth
jloveg
Tutorial Contributor

GOD LOVES YOU AND SO DO I!!!

need me email me! jat42171@yahoo.com

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2007 05:34:32 AM »

smoked sausage green beans and  potatoes  all boiled in a pot  is  really good... no  blood there

hope  he's  mot a  med  student  LOL

or  taco  soup  is   good  its  hamburger meat and beans....really good  as  left over  also.... if  you think  he'd like it  PM  me I will give  you the  recipe.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

looking for instant coffee from australia or russia made with mustard and champagne.  VIOLET CRUMBLES and VEGEMITE would be welcome swap items!!
shewolf
I call her Vera.

The hero of Canton

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2007 11:50:58 AM »

something else - if he's going to have buddies with him, they can buy some of those large packs of hamburger, stuff it into 1 pound packs (sandwich bags) and freeze 'em. The buddy can stuff and your kid can nuke to defrost and drop it into the pan. That way hae's not touching it and it's a lot less gross (raw hamburger disgusts me too).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

(\__/) This is Fat Bunny.
( o.o ) It has taken over, and eaten the unbelievers.
( > < ) Copy Bunny into your signature or be EATEN!

www.rattleheadgames.com - for all your gaming needs!

http://www.wists.com/shewolf I wish, I wish, with all my heart.... Smiley
fsuangelita
fsuangelita

woooooo-hoo!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2007 12:01:45 PM »

hmm, interesting situation... i don't eat red meat, but i do cook it for my BF so i know how gross it can look.

a few suggestions:
-Omelettes with chopped up lunch meat in them (ham or even turkey)
-someone probably mentioned this, but there are precooked sliced meats either in the meat department or in the freezer section
-protein from other sources (beans, eggs, tofu)
-what about those "meal/skillet"-in-a-bag things?  they come usually with meat and veggies and some kind of starch (rice or pasta) all in a big frozen bag and you dump it in a skillet and kinda stir-fry it all together.  they can be pretty good, and have a lot of food for not too much money!

does he have a problem with frozen fish filets?  those tend not to look as gross... and there's plenty of breaded stuff in the frozen section, too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"'What' aint no country I ever heard of!  They speak English in 'What'?"
lupinbunny

the bunny with the loops

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2007 03:08:39 PM »

i third/ fourth/ whatever the teaching him some vego recipes.
if he's sharehousing, i'm sure the others will cook him some meat sometimes, and for a young adult male i'd guess that getting all the fruit and veg youre supposed to is less likely to happen than getting the meat.
besides, will he buy lunch? he can just buy something with meat in it then.
and if he does get really, really meat-hungry you might find he overcomes his aversion by himself. no problem.

teach him to cook a risotto, because any ol' fridge scraps can go in it (with lots of cheese), and it's very filling.
when making burgers, replace the meat patty with a giant mushroom *drool* (i'm a meateater and prefer 'shroom-burgers any day). just cook it alongside as you would meat patties (fry, grill, bbq).
vegie curries are also very boy-filling. curry paste, onion, garlic, various (root) vegies, coconut milk. simmer till the veges are a good consistency (maybe 20min?).  serve with rice. the curry paste and coconut milk together should only be a couple of dollars.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jloveg
Tutorial Contributor

GOD LOVES YOU AND SO DO I!!!

need me email me! jat42171@yahoo.com

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2007 04:43:52 PM »

also  he  can   buy ( if  hes not a  typical broke  college kid)   those  precooked  meats  and  all he  has to do is  heat...   tehy  have pork, beef,  chicken,  OH  steakums  don't  get  bloody till you start  heating,,   frozen  premade meat balls,
mmmm  pigs in  a   blanket???    sausage  you can  get  already  pattied and cooked   at  wallmart tehy  heat  quick   and  easy....   
THIS ROCKS   Logged

looking for instant coffee from australia or russia made with mustard and champagne.  VIOLET CRUMBLES and VEGEMITE would be welcome swap items!!
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Lemon Cornmeal Waffles
Whooops!
@Home This Weekend: Curtains!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...