A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 296,583
Currently Running With Scissors:
564 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 16
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Craftster-inspired "Pop" Art Mirror  (Read 80317 times)
Tags for this thread: mirror , craftster_best_of_2007 , featured_project , soda_can  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

lil_ballet_girl

I want to be with you

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: April 06, 2007 12:56:29 PM »

Ohh so Imaginative !! Yay I love it  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Took for granted all the little things.
But now it's over,
All I can say is goodbye.
swildrid
« Reply #91 on: April 07, 2007 05:51:11 AM »

My 13- year old daughter loves the mirror so much she is planning on making one for her room out of candy boxes!  She and her friends have been eating Skittles, Nerds, Runts, Lemon Heads, and Sprees for the past few weeks.  We've got about 10 boxes so far!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 07, 2007 08:41:22 AM »

My 13- year old daughter loves the mirror so much she is planning on making one for her room out of candy boxes!  She and her friends have been eating Skittles, Nerds, Runts, Lemon Heads, and Sprees for the past few weeks.  We've got about 10 boxes so far!

That's SO cute!  Sounds like they are having fun "shopping" for supplies, too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster has gone mobile!!  Read the news here.
colarific
« Reply #93 on: April 07, 2007 02:30:03 PM »

Oooh! That DOES sound cute! Be sure to tell her we want pictures when it's done!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
catlee07
« Reply #94 on: April 10, 2007 01:41:36 PM »

that is the most amazing mirror I have ever seen! I can't IMAGINE how much time you spent on it!

You must be sick of coke now! lol!

Keep up the good work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

gonegreenie
« Reply #95 on: April 18, 2007 10:49:47 AM »

My husband and I really like this kind of project where you take 'trash' and make it into something aesthetic. I like the scale of your mirror, and that you rotated the tiles so that the pattern is interesting. I have been wanted to make my own decorated mirror for years now, but I could never decide what I wanted to put on it as far as decoration. I hate soda, but my husband has a couple of soda vices. Know what that means??? Cans everywhere Angry
It gets especially bad when his friends get together to game and he brings the leftover soda home, BUT....after seeing this particular use for cans.....it might not be such a bad thing! Smiley I would love to make one with him over the summer....and when all the cans are gone I'll implement a soda ban to discourage future messes Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
shay8317
« Reply #96 on: April 18, 2007 02:52:13 PM »

I really like this! I might have to try and make one myself one of these days! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mdevorewild
My life is shenanigans and I love it!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #97 on: April 29, 2007 12:35:51 PM »

Okay, I just had to 'this rocks' it too.

It is AWESOME!

Confused about the frame a bit...did you find a used mirror with a flat surface?  What do you mean, built the frame?

I drink TONS of soda, and this would be such a cool project!!

Thanks for your help and ideas.
No problem. The mirror is a standard frameless mirror from Lowe's. It had a bevel on the edges, but that's all they had, in the size we were looking for (it was only $15.00-the most expensive part of the project), and we were hiding the bevel anyway. My DH cut four sides for the frame, and mitered each corner to fit them together. The frame is made from MDF, with a basic moulding secured to the edges. We needed to find a way to recess the mirror into the back of the frame (you could use a router, I think), but he used a dado on a table saw (his words, not mine), to create the indentation on the back for the mirror to sit in. After we had nailed all the tiles to the frame, we used a contact adhesive on the edges of the mirror to hold it into the frame. Then he cut four triangles to secure to each back corner of the mirror just for safety's measure.
I'm sure you could simply glue a mirror to the back of a frame, but we were not sure how well it would hold, and didn't want to take a chance.
I should say, that this was so very experimental on our parts. My DH, who has only a fair amount of experience with these tools, did an awesome job building this frame, far exceeding my expectations. Although the time he spent isn't visible, it turned this project into quite the professional job.
I don't want to go overboard here, but I can give you more details if you like. I've considered doing more of these, but maybe on a smaller scale, with pre-purchased frames, to simplify the project. Maybe others will have easier ideas to simplify the process...? Thanks again for the compiments. I'm smiling ear to ear!  Cheesy

You could get crazy with candy wrappers, etc. for something like this.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jeshka.h
« Reply #98 on: April 29, 2007 04:22:30 PM »

I really liked this mirror but have no where I could put on in my apartment. Instead, my bf and I are making a table inspired by the soda-can mirror. We bought a $7 table at a thrift store that is just a black metal frame with a glass top. We cut a piece of wood the same size as the glass and are going to paint it black and make a cool design with just green/bluish soda cans (sprite, 7-up, fresca, sierra mist, two kinds of ginger ale...and one other I can't remember right now. We are in the process of collecting cans. When it's finished I'll be sure to post pictures. Our fingers are crossed that it turns out! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
barbolot
Tutorial Contributor

A dead thing can go with the stream, but only a living thing can go against it.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #99 on: April 29, 2007 06:16:21 PM »

I really liked this mirror but have no where I could put on in my apartment. Instead, my bf and I are making a table inspired by the soda-can mirror. We bought a $7 table at a thrift store that is just a black metal frame with a glass top. We cut a piece of wood the same size as the glass and are going to paint it black and make a cool design with just green/bluish soda cans (sprite, 7-up, fresca, sierra mist, two kinds of ginger ale...and one other I can't remember right now. We are in the process of collecting cans. When it's finished I'll be sure to post pictures. Our fingers are crossed that it turns out! Smiley
Man, that sounds really cool, too!  Can't wait to see pics!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 16 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Avoid Bad Hair Extensions
Why Wearing Tight Ponytails Is Harmful to Your Hair
How to Wear a Drag Queen Wig
How to Maintain a Wig
How to Wear a Wig
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Art Dolls
Meatless Monday: Texas Pecan Pesto
@Home This Weekend: Celebrate Your State

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...