A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 297,165
Currently Running With Scissors:
343 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 16
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Craftster-inspired "Pop" Art Mirror  (Read 81103 times)
Tags for this thread: mirror , craftster_best_of_2007 , featured_project , soda_can  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

PaperBag
« Reply #80 on: April 02, 2007 10:02:22 PM »

As for me- seeing her project here inspired me to make a "pop" mirror for my home. My husband and I are halfway done with it and just love it. Thanks for the inspiration. I'm a do-it-yourself kind of person. I see something that I like, I get inspired to make my own version of it. I don't like to buy things I can make myself. One, I like to say I made it myself. Two, I enjoy crafting. And Three- I really cant afford it any other way. We were able to come up with the $50 for the supplies easily. Coming up with $1,200, though? That would be quite a challenge!

Honestly though, thanks for the inspiration. It's been a great project for me and my husband to work on together.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2007 09:59:02 PM by kategirl » THIS ROCKS   Logged

colarific
« Reply #81 on: April 03, 2007 09:58:35 AM »

Paperbag (and others here), thanks so much for the praise. I can't wait to see how yours turned out, because of course there are so many ways to do this!
Mr. Levin is obviously offended by my reproduction here, which indeed is not the way it was intended. I did start off by giving all credit to him for the design, even though, as stated before, it is not the only one like it. Check out Rachel Ray's website for a mirror which, incidentally, is much more like mine than his. Hers, made by her craft friend Peggy Brown, was made well before I made one, and I hadn't even seen hers until recently.
I referred to my project as "craftster-inspired" because that is exactly what it was. I found this forum, and was so impressed by the things I saw here, that I decided to push my abilities one step further. My normal artistic talents lie in painting and drawing, so this was indeed a new challenge for me.
Mr. Levin, I am happily adding a disclaimer to my original post giving you credit for the original design which you claim copyright to. I will also add that it is not, and never was, my intention to sell, nor suggest others to sell these pieces. If you would prefer that I remove the link to the catalog site showcasing your work, I will do that instead.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2007 10:14:05 PM by kategirl » THIS ROCKS   Logged
susankg53
« Reply #82 on: April 03, 2007 01:56:20 PM »

okay I have to throw my two cents in here. My son makes lamps out of bottles of all kinds from Coke to Jack Daniels. He drills a hole through the bottom of the bottle, puts the all thread pipe up through a base, into the bottle, through the bottle cap, a harp for the shade to sit on, and then wires the socket. He also welds the frame for the shade and I cover the frames for him. These lamps are made as gifts for friends and relatives. No one is selling any thing and since I was concerned about the chance that someone might want to buy one, I contacted the Jack Daniels people and they contacted their attorney and they sent a letter telling me that they were flattered but we should not use their bottles for these gifts as it might be a health hazard. I think it was a way to discourage us from heaven forbid making a buck. When you think about the health hazard what the heck are they talking about. Maybe the germs, I scrub the bottles out. Maybe the glass is going to shatter and cut someone. We have had some of these lamps for years with no health hazards apparent.
 Sorry for taking so long but a lot of companies don't want you to make things from their packages. They would rather fill up the landfills.
  I really love your mirror. I have never been cut on a soda can either and I make whirly gigs from them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sunnyskies*4*
« Reply #83 on: April 03, 2007 02:30:43 PM »

I just did a few google searches and found various mirrors (including the Rachel Ray one as mentioned previously) that are very similar.  When I saw this mirror on this thread I know it was not the first time I'd seen this idea -- I will fully admit that I like this idea alot, and colarific's is very nicely done -- but this is certainly not the first time I've seen it.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

~~Sunnyskies~~
kategirl
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

queen of awkward

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: April 03, 2007 03:21:47 PM »

Please remember to keep this thread to the topic of the craft itself, not copyright discussions or any personal issues.  Please use the PM function if you would like to contact each other on personal issues.

Thank you.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 04, 2007 10:10:53 AM »

I love the colors!  I think it's fab! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster has gone mobile!!  Read the news here.
artguy
« Reply #86 on: April 04, 2007 07:34:38 PM »

I know my original letter to this thread caused some commotion and I wish to clarify a few things. First, since I am writing in response to multiple postings not all of my responses are meant for everyone. My comment on Colarific's mirror was aimed at the comment that hers was better than the original (their opinion)and in my defense, that is was more manufactured looking was of course my opinion only. Since all of the crafters/ do-it yourselfers, artists are responding I felt I should address certain issues that pertained to our copyright as well as other issues of possible sales. Even though references have been made to Rachel Ray (her show aired sometime in 2006), and other pop art mirrors that appear in computer searches, this does not prove them to be the original creator of this mirror. My wife and I have made these for over ten years and perhaps others had made something of similar nature none were around that we new of ( and we had done the art fair and gallery circuit for years) and many appeared in the recent years as ours became popular. My wife originally came up with this concept after using the other side of cans and engraving on them and putting these pieces in her artwork. As far as stealing this idea because we used logos and artwork on other items(the cans) these were never intended by those companies to be mirrors, frames or other fine art or craft elements. (referring to the comment that we were not original either in our work). As many of you work for, or your spouses work for, companies that provide services or manufacture products, these items and services are protected by laws and regulations that make for fair practice of sales and exchange of these items in the US. If it were not for these rules of sorts, I believe individuals like myself and you, would have no way to protect our creative rights. As an artist our source for income is to create something new and hopefully esthetically pleasing that others would want. In doing so we must protect what we worked hard to create and develop. I appreciate the fact the not everyone has the artistic ability to conceive of certain art pieces, but may have the ability to create or make one. This is a certain talent and fortunately most, or all of my customers cannot do this or I would be out work. What some of you or all of you are able to do is a God given talent as is ours, but what I ask or stated was that what we created be protected and have the right to protect. This issue of copying our art has arose before with certain individuals selling replicas and referencing our work. My intent was not to offend but rather educate or at least make aware of the situation. I respect this forum and hope the same is reciprocated.
M. Levin
« Last Edit: April 06, 2007 12:26:20 AM by artguy » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Craftinator
« Reply #87 on: April 05, 2007 11:16:21 AM »

artguy - thanks for clarifying.  The biggest frustration I have found with emails, forums and chat is that there are no voice inflections or facial expressions to put with the words which leaves the words up for MUCH intrepretation by the reader.  I think it's way easy to intrepret things as offensive that just plain are not and so your willingness to clarify was a way cool idea.  Thanks.

So, I am sure we can all learn from each other and appreciate each other's creative gifts and get along just fine.

Isn't it cool that we have a place like this where we can express ourselves??

Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

leah
Global Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

formerly "the craftster admin" - viva craftster!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: April 05, 2007 11:33:16 AM »

Hey everyone.

I think this is a good opportunity to reiterate a very very very important issue which is that if you see a brilliant idea and you want to recreate it for your own personal enjoyment, that's one thing but you should not consider making and selling it since you did not come up with the original idea yourself.

colarific clearly stated a few times that she had no intention of selling these. Smiley

A few people did suggest to colarific that she should consider selling mirrors like this. Please don't suggest this in the future when you know the person did not come up with the original idea in the first place.

Thanks for listening everyone! And thanks for being so diplomatic!

I think we should try to stay on the topic of crafting now. Smiley

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Want to support Craftster? Find out about becoming a Friend of Craftster!

{ craftastic.com | leahkramer.com | helloadorable.com }
Sachaxx
« Reply #89 on: April 06, 2007 06:31:25 AM »

Very cool!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 16 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Jeff Nichols Talks About Trainwreck
Bethenny Frankel Talks About Naturally Thin
Crescendo Book Trailer
Regan Hoffman Offers Readers Some Words of Wisdom
Andrew Clements Talks About Smart Kids
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...