A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 302,568
Currently Running With Scissors:
533 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Craftster-inspired "Pop" Art Mirror  (Read 80153 times)
Tags for this thread: mirror , craftster_best_of_2007 , featured_project , soda_can  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

colarific
« on: February 01, 2007 10:21:01 AM »

OK here goes nothing. I'm extremely new here, and this is my first real post, but I'm so excited about this project, I had to share! A little background: I found this site while looking for craft ideas, (as I'm sure most have). I'm a coca-cola freak, and I love all things kitschy, retro, mod... or just plain different. While browsing the forums, I came across a thread from someone looking for ideas for soda cans. Within that thread I found this post:
You could cut and nail them to wood like this really cool but very expensive mirror.

http://www.guild.com/artitem/25603.html

Well... I decided I HAD to have that mirror... BAD! Okay, well not $1200 bad though... so off to the workshop.
My DH built this lovely frame for me, to specifications for the wall I am going to hang it on, and 2 weeks and lots of soda drinking later... VOILA!

And a closer view before the mirror and interior moulding was in place:

So anyway... sorry for the lengthy first post, and the links (too new to post pics), and thanks to all you talented folks for inspiring me to "just make it"!  Roll Eyes Hope you like it!

DISCLAIMER: This mirror was created for personal enjoyment only. Mitch Levin and his wife of High Voltage studios own copyright to the original design of this piece. Any intentions to create works of "substantial similarity" to this piece for sale and profit, are considered copyright violations.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2007 10:01:26 AM by colarific » THIS ROCKS   Logged
ondrayuh
technology owes ecology an apology

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2007 10:23:12 AM »

oh my goodness! i love love love this!!!

amazing job
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://redtugboat.net
................... ................... ................... ..............

let's do a personal swap! swap info
popartlover09
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2007 10:36:14 AM »

i think you did a much better job than the site you found it on, thats amazing, what a brilliant idea
THIS ROCKS   Logged

why yes i do believe i am a craftaholic
Gwydion
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2007 10:43:59 AM »

Oh wow...

I don't even LIKE soda, and I want that mirror!

And it's so neatly done!  That must have taken forever to put together.

<hitting "this rocks">
THIS ROCKS   Logged
colarific
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2007 11:03:11 AM »

Thanks so much!! We were proud of it... but your stamps of approval mean alot! I sincerely would probably never have done this if I hadn't been inspired by so many of the cool things I've seen on this site!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bamfknitter
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2007 07:32:05 PM »

Okay, I just had to 'this rocks' it too.

It is AWESOME!

Confused about the frame a bit...did you find a used mirror with a flat surface?  What do you mean, built the frame?

I drink TONS of soda, and this would be such a cool project!!

Thanks for your help and ideas.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://cashcrate.com/931389 <-- make money taking surveys on the web.  Get paid MONTHLY to fuel your CRAFT addiction!
In the last 2 weeks of Dec (when I 1st joined) I made over $55USD!
fauxfreak
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2007 08:49:01 PM »

Price: $1150
Shipping & Handling: $75 

I almost fainted when I saw the price tag on that baby!!
I feel a certain kind of weird victory when I can copy something that costs that much (and make it look better, too)! It's fabulous- you really did a great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
colarific
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2007 10:01:46 PM »

Okay, I just had to 'this rocks' it too.

It is AWESOME!

Confused about the frame a bit...did you find a used mirror with a flat surface?  What do you mean, built the frame?

I drink TONS of soda, and this would be such a cool project!!

Thanks for your help and ideas.
No problem. The mirror is a standard frameless mirror from Lowe's. It had a bevel on the edges, but that's all they had, in the size we were looking for (it was only $15.00-the most expensive part of the project), and we were hiding the bevel anyway. My DH cut four sides for the frame, and mitered each corner to fit them together. The frame is made from MDF, with a basic moulding secured to the edges. We needed to find a way to recess the mirror into the back of the frame (you could use a router, I think), but he used a dado on a table saw (his words, not mine), to create the indentation on the back for the mirror to sit in. After we had nailed all the tiles to the frame, we used a contact adhesive on the edges of the mirror to hold it into the frame. Then he cut four triangles to secure to each back corner of the mirror just for safety's measure.
I'm sure you could simply glue a mirror to the back of a frame, but we were not sure how well it would hold, and didn't want to take a chance.
I should say, that this was so very experimental on our parts. My DH, who has only a fair amount of experience with these tools, did an awesome job building this frame, far exceeding my expectations. Although the time he spent isn't visible, it turned this project into quite the professional job.
I don't want to go overboard here, but I can give you more details if you like. I've considered doing more of these, but maybe on a smaller scale, with pre-purchased frames, to simplify the project. Maybe others will have easier ideas to simplify the process...? Thanks again for the compiments. I'm smiling ear to ear!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
colarific
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2007 10:02:59 PM »

Price: $1150
Shipping & Handling: $75 

I almost fainted when I saw the price tag on that baby!!
I feel a certain kind of weird victory when I can copy something that costs that much (and make it look better, too)! It's fabulous- you really did a great job!
Thank You!!! I feel that victory too! That's what made it so fun!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jnaos

"Creative clutter is better than idle neatness."

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2007 10:17:31 PM »

I have to say that this is great.  I hit this rocks and I am bookmarking it.  Truly inspiring.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Stars Sizzle in White Hot Fashion
‪How to Get Celebrity-Inspired Bikini Looks for Less‬
6 Things to Pack for a Weekend Trip
Milly for Banana Republic Hits Stores Today
How to Make Cool Cuffed Denim Shorts in Under 4 Minutes
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...