A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 297,556
Currently Running With Scissors:
683 Guests and 36 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 16
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Craftster-inspired "Pop" Art Mirror  (Read 81505 times)
Tags for this thread: mirror , craftster_best_of_2007 , featured_project , soda_can  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

WIPs

The WIPs Phenomenon

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: June 05, 2007 06:29:29 PM »

Wowza!

How much soda did you drink? Shocked
THIS ROCKS   Logged

100 Themes ATC: 1/100 Grin
Kasizzle

La-la-la-la-lola!

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: June 06, 2007 11:40:37 AM »

Great job, Kasizzle!  Thanks for posting!  How long do you think it took you to do the project, start-to-finish (not counting drinking all that soda)??

Once all my friends knew what I was doing, they all saved their cans for me, so I really didn't have to drink much. One friend even drank several cans of Diet Coke, which he doesn't even like while we were camping a few weeks ago just because he knew I needed some! I'd guess that it actually took about 3-4 days work, spread out over a couple of weeks and taking a week off to go out of town. I may work a little slower than average, I'm a little anal.
I highly recommend trying this, colarific's tutorial was easy to follow!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Randommarble

My cat Marble. Make a nice fur coat?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #122 on: June 06, 2007 11:54:49 AM »

Wow, the pieces fit together better on your two versions
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Remember: To the world you might be one person, but to one person you might be the world.

See my website for my products (will post to anywhere in UK at cost of postage and packaging). It is a little out of date due to a server crash. Please email me if you want a custom order
barbolot
Tutorial Contributor

A dead thing can go with the stream, but only a living thing can go against it.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #123 on: June 06, 2007 01:03:10 PM »

Great job, Kasizzle!  Thanks for posting!  How long do you think it took you to do the project, start-to-finish (not counting drinking all that soda)??

Once all my friends knew what I was doing, they all saved their cans for me, so I really didn't have to drink much. One friend even drank several cans of Diet Coke, which he doesn't even like while we were camping a few weeks ago just because he knew I needed some! I'd guess that it actually took about 3-4 days work, spread out over a couple of weeks and taking a week off to go out of town. I may work a little slower than average, I'm a little anal.
I highly recommend trying this, colarific's tutorial was easy to follow!
That was nice of your friends to help you out -- especially Diet Coke Guy.  And I don't think that's too long to work on a project that you did so well.... I work really slowly, too, so I'd be the same way. I might just try it. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PaperBag
« Reply #124 on: June 07, 2007 12:49:26 AM »

a cheap paper cutter worked? Brilliant! I cut all my cans with scissors (and managed to finish the project without cutting myself once! yay!)

I need to put the trim on mine, then i'll take pictures and post, as well Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

urban_albino

Open your mind, open your heart.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #125 on: June 07, 2007 05:30:07 AM »

that. is. so cool.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Just when the caterpillar thought it would die, it turned into a butterfly.
craftsterlaura
« Reply #126 on: June 11, 2007 02:20:22 PM »

This is the coolest!   Cheesy  Thank you for sharing this idea!

I'm the one who always says -- "that's cool; I could make that"... and then I never do.  But, I was SO inspired by seeing yours that I started in on my own right away last weekend, and it's almost done.  I did mine pretty much like yours, but I used MDF board for the frame, spray-painted the frame glossy black, but didn't use any trim around the edges.  Also, I didn't use any glue for the individual pieces -- instead, I used our nail gun and a lot of 5/8 inch brad nails.  Using the nail gun was a really easy way to do it and I would highly recommend it - I'm guessing it was a lot easier than hand-nailing all those individual pieces. 

I had trouble finding an unframed mirror in a small enough size and decent price, so I bought mirror tiles (12 inches square) from a home store.  They came in a box of 8 for $9. 

I like the look of the first mirror so much that I'm working on a second version -- instead of using small "mosaic tiles" of the aluminum cans, I'm cutting out longer strips from each pop can, weaving those together, and then stretching them and wrapping them across and around the mirror frame. 

I'll pass along photos of both projects as soon as they're done!   
THIS ROCKS   Logged
amw
« Reply #127 on: June 13, 2007 09:31:29 AM »

amazing!!! looks great...all of the colors flow really well together...I love it...although I'm not sure I would love all the soda drinking to get to the final project! but it looks wonderful!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BeadHead
« Reply #128 on: June 13, 2007 01:31:50 PM »

that is sooooo awesome! i LOVE it! i would so totall hang that in my room!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Morphine
« Reply #129 on: June 13, 2007 02:22:33 PM »

I don't post here very regularly but now I have to... clicking the This Rocks button isn't even enough here. What you did is AMAZING. It much better than the also great looking original and I love all these colours!!! I wish I could do that, too but you almost don't get any cans here(in germany) anymore so having enough different sorts of cans together would take months :/ But I guess when I come to france next time (once to twice a month), I'll try to get as many different cans as I can to do something that just came to my mind while seeing your gorgeous mirror!!! than's so much for inspiring me  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Myspace
Heard about the guy who fell off a skyscraper? On his way down past each floor, he kept saying to reassure himself: So far so good... so far so good... so far so good. How you fall doesn't matter. It's how you land!
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a 1920s Lady Mask
How to Make a Dog Mask
How to Make a Cat Mask
How to Make a Fox Mask
How to Make a Witch Mask
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...