A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,147
Currently Running With Scissors:
550 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 16
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Craftster-inspired "Pop" Art Mirror  (Read 78845 times)
Tags for this thread: mirror , craftster_best_of_2007 , featured_project , soda_can  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ShaynaYasha
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2007 03:45:46 AM »

That's amazing!!  I better start drinking soda so that I can build one, too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

""Mother is the name of God on the lips and hearts of all children."- Eric Draven"
blackheathen
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2007 08:18:14 AM »

THIS definitely ROCKS! *clicks button*

As good as, if not better than the one that inspired you!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I do not believe in an afterlife, although I am bringing a change of underwear."
-Woody Allen
avsceriline
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2007 12:53:10 PM »

This is awesome! I need to have one!  Grin I make jewelry from bottlecaps, so I have a minor soda obsession.

Any more construction details you wanna share would be highly appreciated. Smiley

Great work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

blog | staarlight: my Etsywistsflickr

I <3 personal swaps! Check out my flickr page to see what I can do.
katietr
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2007 01:32:24 PM »

Oooh - I'm so glad to see that someone did this.  I watched a DIY show a couple of months ago where they used soda cans for various projects, and I tried to cover a cd box and ended up giving up.  I was trying to use this strong adhesive because I couldn't find nails short enough to not stick out on the other side.  Even the industrial strength bond stuff that I got wouldn't keep the can pieces from curling up.  I'm going to start looking for the right mirror now - since I don't have any place to make my own.  Wonderful job!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

colarific
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2007 07:42:34 PM »

Oh, thanks for all the comments...I'm glad everyone likes this is as much as I do!
So more details. Let's see, aside from constructing the frame, it's pretty simple really. Just time consuming. I cut the cans using good kitchen shears (Pampered Chef actually), but then I switched to using a sharp nail-like thing that my husband had, and I scored lines along a metal straight-edge. Then one or two bends snapped them easily. I used a template made from card-stock to keep them all nice and equal. I had pre-measured the frame to calculate how big I needed the pieces to be.You need to flatten the can pieces, and the best way to do that it to just run them over the edge of a countertop backwards until it sits straight. Once I had all the pieces, I laid them out on the frame to arrange them the way I wanted them. Then I started from each corner tacking the pieces down with contact adhesive (Goop). I put just a thin layer on each one so it wouldn't get lumpy. I worked my way in from each side, switching back and forth, trimming the pieces a tiny bit here and there to make sure they all fit evenly. When they were all tacked down, it was time to add the nails. I supposed that you could glue them down a bit better than I did, and skip the nails all-together, but I liked how the nails looked, so I had planned to do that anyway. To put the nails in, I used that same sharp nail-type thing to pre-drill the holes into each corner of the pieces. The nails we used were tiny (1/4 inch) carpet tacks. They would be very hard to hold onto while hammering them in, so the pilot holes were necessary. Then we just stuck the nails into the holes and hammered them the rest of the way in. Once that was all done, we could put the mirror in.
If you purchase a mirror for this project, I would suggest trying to find one that the mirror can be removed from. If not, you will need to be very careful hammering the nails in. There are 480 nails on my mirror frame. That was a LOT of hammering, and it could be a lot of stress on the mirror. Just a thought.
I'm so flattered to have inspired others to do this! As I said, it was time-consuming, but a LOT of fun, and now my favorite conversation piece in my house. I want to make more, but on a smaller scale, maybe picture frames, which would be cool too! I can't wait to see what others do!! Thanks again!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
missmeganmisery

Painted Flowers Have No Scent

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2007 12:34:22 AM »

SO RAD!!!
i love it.
<3.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Miss Megan Misery
I do personal swaps. =]

My Wists:
http://www.wists.com/missmeganmisery
Aztma
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2007 12:11:58 PM »

I love love love your mirror.  I am trying to think where I could hang one....... Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Belle Morte

Follow your first instict

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2007 12:25:55 PM »

i think you should do a tutorial
its awesome Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Assuming the worst is always safer,  and usually truer
kiwiblue
Personal Swap encouraged

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2007 06:47:40 PM »

I love that !! great job looks incredable
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SEMPER IN FAECIBVS SVMVM,SOLE PROFNDVM VARIAT
peardream
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2007 07:21:53 PM »

This project is awesome.

Did the can "tiles" warp when you were hammering them?

How long did it take you to make this!

You did a great job and should be really proud.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 16 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Snooki Talks About A Shore Thing
Sing You Home Book Trailer
How to Woo a Reluctant Lady Book Trailer
Ruth Davis Konigsberg Talks About The Truth About Grief
Ruth Davis Konigsberg Talks About The Five Stages of Grief
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Imprinting on Concrete
Mmm, Bacon!
Meatless Monday: Marinated Pasta Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...